    used to before i started messing with it?

    Thank you.

    Truly
    Harry, Feb 4, 2007

  2. Harry

    Jerry G. Guest

    Un-install, and re-install it!

    --

    Jerry G.

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Hello,

    How can i get my Corel WordPerfect 8 to open up in "My Files" like it

    Jerry G., Feb 4, 2007

  3. Harry

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > How can i get my Corel WordPerfect 8 to open up in "My Files" like it
    > used to before i started messing with it?

    Gotta tell people what ya did. Fess up.
    DemoDisk, Feb 4, 2007
  4. Harry

    thanatoid Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > How can i get my Corel WordPerfect 8 to open up in "My
    > Files" like it used to before i started messing with it?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Truly

    This applies to desktop icon as well as corresponding item in
    your "start menu" - if you have both, set them the same way.

    Right-click, choose "properties/shortcut". In "start in" type in
    "c:\myfiles" or whatever the exact path/directory are. If there
    are spaces in the name (like "c:\my files", enclose in quotes.

    That's where it will start and that's where it should save
    stuff.

    You MAY have to restart the machine, not sure.

    thanatoid, Feb 4, 2007
  5. Harry

    Harry Guest

    On Feb 4, 6:34 pm, thanatoid <> wrote:
    > "Harry" <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > How can i get my Corel WordPerfect 8 to open up in "My
    > > Files" like it used to before i started messing with it?

    > > Thank you.

    > > Truly

    > This applies to desktop icon as well as corresponding item in
    > your "start menu" - if you have both, set them the same way.
    >
    > Right-click, choose "properties/shortcut". In "start in" type in
    > "c:\myfiles" or whatever the exact path/directory are. If there
    > are spaces in the name (like "c:\my files", enclose in quotes.
    >
    > That's where it will start and that's where it should save
    > stuff.
    >
    > You MAY have to restart the machine, not sure.
    >
    > --
    > Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.

    Hello,

    On what should i "right-click"?

    Truly
    Harry, Feb 5, 2007
  6. Harry

    thanatoid Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in

    > On Feb 4, 6:34 pm, thanatoid <>
    > wrote:
    >> "Harry" <> wrote
    >> innews:
    >> m:
    >>
    >> > Hello,

    >> > How can i get my Corel WordPerfect 8 to open up in "My
    >> > Files" like it used to before i started messing with it?

    >> > Thank you.

    >> > Truly

    >> This applies to desktop icon as well as corresponding item
    >> in your "start menu" - if you have both, set them the same
    >> way.
    >>
    >> Right-click, choose "properties/shortcut". In "start in"
    >> type in "c:\myfiles" or whatever the exact path/directory
    >> are. If there are spaces in the name (like "c:\my files",
    >> enclose in quotes.
    >>
    >> That's where it will start and that's where it should save
    >> stuff.
    >>
    >> You MAY have to restart the machine, not sure.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.

    > Hello,
    >
    > On what should i "right-click"?
    >
    > Truly

    Either on the desktop icon or on the name or icon of the
    shortcut in the start menu/subfolder. A box will open with a
    "shortcut" tab. Go there.

    Having written last night's reply it has occurred to me you may
    have a more complicated problem, but try this first and see what
    happens.

    thanatoid, Feb 5, 2007
  7. "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > How can i get my Corel WordPerfect 8 to open up in "My Files" like it
    > used to before i started messing with it?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Truly

    If you're talking about the location of your data files (default document
    folder), you can set the path off the WP preferences menu. I forget exactly
    where that is in Ver. 8 but in ver 12 it's in: Tools, Preferences, Files

    Marty
    Martin Kallikak, Jr., Feb 5, 2007
  8. Harry

    Harry Guest

    On Feb 5, 2:07 pm, thanatoid <> wrote:
    > "Harry" <> wrote innews::
    >

    > > On Feb 4, 6:34 pm, thanatoid <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> "Harry" <> wrote
    > >> innews:
    > >> m:

    > >> This applies to desktop icon as well as corresponding item
    > >> in your "start menu" - if you have both, set them the same
    > >> way.

    > >> Right-click, choose "properties/shortcut". In "start in"
    > >> type in "c:\myfiles" or whatever the exact path/directory
    > >> are. If there are spaces in the name (like "c:\my files",
    > >> enclose in quotes.

    > >> That's where it will start and that's where it should save
    > >> stuff.

    > >> You MAY have to restart the machine, not sure.

    > >> --
    > >> Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.

    > > Hello,

    > > On what should i "right-click"?

    > > Truly

    > Either on the desktop icon or on the name or icon of the
    > shortcut in the start menu/subfolder. A box will open with a
    > "shortcut" tab. Go there.
    >
    > Having written last night's reply it has occurred to me you may
    > have a more complicated problem, but try this first and see what
    > happens.
    >
    > --
    > Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.- Hide quoted text -

    Hello,

    Yes, there has been a worrisome rather loud "GRONK" noise, so that is
    why i tried reducing the load, then got all mixed up and messed up
    everything. Ihave put "MyFiles" back under C, and got rid of all the
    other places where i had put "MyFiles" (donot ask:)), so now we shall
    see.

    All in all where do "My Files" really belong (standardwise i mean (or
    default))?

    Thankyou again.

    Truly
    Harry, Feb 5, 2007
  9. Harry

    thanatoid Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in

    > On Feb 5, 2:07 pm, thanatoid <>
    > wrote:
    >> "Harry" <> wrote
    >> innews:
    >> m:

    >> > Hello,

    >> > On what should i "right-click"?

    >> > Truly

    >> Either on the desktop icon or on the name or icon of the
    >> shortcut in the start menu/subfolder. A box will open with
    >> a "shortcut" tab. Go there.
    >>
    >> Having written last night's reply it has occurred to me
    >> you may have a more complicated problem, but try this
    >> first and see what happens.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Disagreements and the usual insults expected and
    >> welcomed.

    > Hello,
    >
    > Yes, there has been a worrisome rather loud "GRONK" noise,
    > so that is why i tried reducing the load, then got all
    > mixed up and messed up everything.

    Well, whatever "GRONK" means exactly, reducing the content of a
    drive which is about to die is not going to help you.

    I would recommend that you IMMEDIATELY copy anything important
    to some CD-R's or such, then go to your hard drive
    manufacturer's website and download a disk-inspection/recovery
    utility. Most sites have them. You MAY have to open the case to
    find out the manuf. of the HD but I have a feeling you'll be
    doing that pretty soon anyway.

    Check out the drive with the above mentioned utility (they
    usually have to be put on a floppy... you DO have a floppy
    drive?), and then (probably) go and buy a new drive.

    > Ihave put "MyFiles" back
    > under C, and got rid of all the other places where i had
    > put "MyFiles" (donot ask:)), so now we shall see.

    Well, for a start, this particular one of Microsoft's MANY
    wonderful gifts to the world is called "My Documents" by
    default. It is on the C drive, immediately or a little above
    "Program Files" when viewed alphabetically.

    However, most people who like to have some control over their
    computers delete that folder (directory) and keep all their
    *data* on other partition(s), using slightly more descriptive
    words (like "music", "puppy pictures" and "evil spells"), and
    leaving the C drive JUST for the SYSTEM and PROGRAMS.

    No offense, but you don't sound like someone who should be
    attempting to mess around too much.

    > All in all where do "My Files" really belong (standardwise
    > i mean (or default))?

    As above.

    Good luck.

    thanatoid, Feb 6, 2007
  10. Harry

    Harry Guest

    On Feb 6, 12:39 am, thanatoid <> wrote:
    > "Harry" <> wrote innews::
    >

    > > On Feb 5, 2:07 pm, thanatoid <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> "Harry" <> wrote
    > >> innews:
    > >> m:

    > >> Either on the desktop icon or on the name or icon of the
    > >> shortcut in the start menu/subfolder. A box will open with
    > >> a "shortcut" tab. Go there.

    > >> Having written last night's reply it has occurred to me
    > >> you may have a more complicated problem, but try this
    > >> first and see what happens.

    > >> --
    > >> Disagreements and the usual insults expected and
    > >> welcomed.

    > > Hello,

    > > Yes, there has been a worrisome rather loud "GRONK" noise,
    > > so that is why i tried reducing the load, then got all
    > > mixed up and messed up everything.

    > Well, whatever "GRONK" means exactly, reducing the content of a
    > drive which is about to die is not going to help you.
    >
    > I would recommend that you IMMEDIATELY copy anything important
    > to some CD-R's or such, then go to your hard drive
    > manufacturer's website and download a disk-inspection/recovery
    > utility. Most sites have them. You MAY have to open the case to
    > find out the manuf. of the HD but I have a feeling you'll be
    > doing that pretty soon anyway.
    >
    > Check out the drive with the above mentioned utility (they
    > usually have to be put on a floppy... you DO have a floppy
    > drive?), and then (probably) go and buy a new drive.
    >
    > > Ihave put "MyFiles" back
    > > under C, and got rid of all the other places where i had
    > > put "MyFiles" (donot ask:)), so now we shall see.

    > Well, for a start, this particular one of Microsoft's MANY
    > wonderful gifts to the world is called "My Documents" by
    > default. It is on the C drive, immediately or a little above
    > "Program Files" when viewed alphabetically.
    >
    > However, most people who like to have some control over their
    > computers delete that folder (directory) and keep all their
    > *data* on other partition(s), using slightly more descriptive
    > words (like "music", "puppy pictures" and "evil spells"), and
    > leaving the C drive JUST for the SYSTEM and PROGRAMS.
    >
    > No offense, but you don't sound like someone who should be
    > attempting to mess around too much.
    >
    > > All in all where do "My Files" really belong (standardwise
    > > i mean (or default))?

    > As above.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.- Hide quoted text -

    Hello,

    The Gronk noise only happens when i "save" something now. I think it
    used to happen differently before all this messing around ihave been
    doing. Just the same the noise is still there. Does that still mean
    the "Drive" is going bad? What exactly is a "Drive"?

    I dohave that My Documents etc, so i wonder how the My Files got into
    the C as the default. I donot think i did it (youare right: iamnot
    that smart). Could i just go to the Default window and well what would
    i type in to get My Files into the My Documents? Putting My Files in
    there physically doesnot work as far as changing the default window.
    Also it wants to know if i want "Shared Documents" or "Owner's
    Documents". Do they have anything to do with "My Documents"?

    Truly
    Harry, Feb 6, 2007
  11. Harry

    Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >The Gronk noise only happens when i "save" something now. I think it
    >used to happen differently before all this messing around ihave been
    >doing. Just the same the noise is still there. Does that still mean
    >the "Drive" is going bad? What exactly is a "Drive"?

    Bad noises for a hard drive
    http://shorterlink.co.uk/6804 or
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/know...4b1a62a50f405d0d86256756006e340c?OpenDocument

    --
    Watch The Elegant Universe
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
  12. Harry

    thanatoid Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > The Gronk noise only happens when i "save" something now. I
    > think it used to happen differently before all this messing
    > around ihave been doing. Just the same the noise is still
    > there. Does that still mean the "Drive" is going bad?

    Check out the other post which gives you a link to a site where
    there are actual recorded noises of drives going bad.

    If your GRONK is ANYTHING like one of them, start backing up
    data and saving money for a new hard drive.

    > What
    > exactly is a "Drive"?

    A "hard drive" or a "hard disk" is several metal platters
    encased in an almost air-tight rectangular metal box with a few
    magnetic heads floating on a microscopic layer of air above the
    platters and where ALL YOUR SYSTEM, INFO AND DATA are
    permanently recorded (well... until something "happens"...) A
    "floppy drive" is where you put your floppy disk. A CD-ROM drive
    is where you put your CD's. Etc.

    You can have more than one hard drive or CD drive, but few
    machines have more than one floppy drive - in fact the (idiotic)
    trend is to eliminate them.

    > I dohave that My Documents etc, so i wonder how the My
    > Files got into the C as the default. I donot think i did it
    > (youare right: iamnot that smart).

    No offense was intended - it's just that most people know very
    little about computers and need help, ergo groups like this or
    guys who charge $30 or more per hour.

    > Could i just go to the
    > Default window and well what would i type in to get My
    > Files into the My Documents

    In Windows Explorer, just drag the "my files" folder into the
    "my documents" folder, and then you can get inside "my
    documents" and organize it a bit.

    > Putting My Files in there
    > physically doesnot work as far as changing the default
    > window.

    I have NO IDEA what you mean by "default window".

    > Also it wants to know if i want "Shared Documents"
    > or "Owner's Documents". Do they have anything to do with
    > "My Documents"?

    I don't know. Maybe someone else will answer this. As I said, I
    remove any folders (directories) with names like that if any
    program tries to create them.

    All else aside, I would suggest you do the Windows Tutorial
    (welcome, tour, or whatever it's called these days) which is
    somewhere on your system - maybe someone else can say exactly
    where. It will give you SOME idea of what you are operating. You
    need SOME basics.

    thanatoid, Feb 7, 2007