    (then it shut down), but don't remember what it said. Next time it let
    me log in with my password just fine. Any ideas? thanks

    p.s. athalon 2.Ghz, 512ram, 80gig hd.

    lbbss, Jun 8, 2004

  2. "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have msn messenger 6 and having problems logging in. The error message
    > mentions that it could be a firewall problem. I have a free version of
    > zone alarm running, but it has not prevented me from messenger before
    > (have
    > not made any changes to the levels). So I tried putting all the levels
    > low, but still does not let me use messenger. When I turn off zone
    > alarm
    > all together, then messenger let's me log in. Could it be a
    > Trojan? I had a log in error message with my windows 2000 pro recently
    > (then it shut down), but don't remember what it said. Next time it
    > let
    > me log in with my password just fine. Any ideas? thanks
    >
    > p.s. athalon 2.Ghz, 512ram, 80gig hd.

    Not to sure myself but there is a thread on the zonelabs forum about
    settings for msn 6 and 6.1
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllAboutPorts&message.id=1884
    HTH

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Jun 8, 2004

  3. lbbss

    Brian Guest

    "lbbss" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have msn messenger 6 and having problems logging in. The error message
    > mentions that it could be a firewall problem. I have a free version of
    > zone alarm running, but it has not prevented me from messenger before

    (have
    > not made any changes to the levels). So I tried putting all the levels

    > low, but still does not let me use messenger. When I turn off zone

    alarm
    > all together, then messenger let's me log in. Could it be a
    > Trojan? I had a log in error message with my windows 2000 pro recently
    > (then it shut down), but don't remember what it said. Next time it

    let
    > me log in with my password just fine. Any ideas? thanks
    >
    > p.s. athalon 2.Ghz, 512ram, 80gig hd.

    if you turned your firewall off and it worked, i dought that it is a virus..
    i don't know how zone alarm works but i'm sure that you are able to
    configure it to give applications permissions... i.e. msnmsgr.exe allowance

    Brian, Jun 8, 2004
  4. lbbss

    half_life

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Problems with Zone Alarm Pro with MSN Messenger

    This is a known problem with Zone Alarm which they acknowledge on their forum but are not otherwise telling their paying customers about.

    The following functionality has been affected:
    - display picture - mine not visible, cannot view others
    - cannot send or receive files
    - cannot view webcam
    - there may be other functions I haven't tried
    - the above happens even when IM Security switched off

    Like many other posters on here I have done all sorts of things to get it working - reinstalled msn, contacted msn support, fiddled with ZA settings etc etc. - but I am not up to the workaround that has finally been posted (and not on the Zone Alarm web site), and I do not want to run without a firewall. Very frustrating

    Apparently it is IMSECURE that is the problem because it remains active even when IM Security is switched off; there are complicated workrounds available. See a link on their user forum.

    I suggest anyone with msn messenger related problems which have recently appeared emails them at

    I mailed them with this:

    My message to Zone Alarm is this - guys, if you don't start handling this problem professionally, the reputation of ZA will suffer, and the messages on bulletin boards will still be there long after you actually manage to solve the problem. Google already finds many posts.

    Rule one of customer service - a satisfied customer will tell another, a dissastisfied one will tell ten, each of whom will tell another ten.

    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
    half_life, Aug 28, 2006