messagner pop up

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Starkey, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    Starkey, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Starkey

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Starkey <> wrote in
    news::

    > Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
    > where it come from
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
    >
    > screenshot of it

    I guess you have never seen Messenger broadcast spam before.
    See this:
    http://www.grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm
    The Latest Spam Technology

    The Windows "Messenger Service" is being exploited to spray the Internet
    with unsolicited commercial eMail. The receipt of a single UDP packet can
    cause a "Messenger Service" dialog to pop-up on the user's screen. It is
    possible for the sender to "spoof" (falsify) the packet's "Source IP",
    making these packets impossible to trace back to their origin. If our
    experience with eMail Spam is any model, we can expect to see a lot more
    of this in the future.

    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,55795,00.html

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    On 8 Sep 2005 22:53:53 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Starkey <> wrote in
    >
    >> Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
    >> where it come from
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
    >>
    >> screenshot of it
    >>

    >I guess you have never seen Messenger broadcast spam before.
    >See this:
    >http://www.grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm
    >The Latest Spam Technology
    >
    >The Windows "Messenger Service" is being exploited to spray the Internet
    >with unsolicited commercial eMail. The receipt of a single UDP packet can
    >cause a "Messenger Service" dialog to pop-up on the user's screen. It is
    >possible for the sender to "spoof" (falsify) the packet's "Source IP",
    >making these packets impossible to trace back to their origin. If our
    >experience with eMail Spam is any model, we can expect to see a lot more
    >of this in the future.
    >
    >http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,55795,00.html

    thx, dirty bastards

    Starkey, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Starkey

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
    > where it come from
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
    >
    > screenshot of it

    Yer running ??? (2000?) Messenger service is disabled in XP by default
    (well certainly w' SP2).

    But in W2K, yep it's enabled by default. Disable it soon (unless you
    *like* the messages popping up of course :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
    >>where it come from
    >>
    >>http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
    >>
    >>screenshot of it

    > Yer running ??? (2000?)

    XP, obviously, look at the title bar and start bar in the screenshot. He
    urgently needs to install SP2.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 8, 2005
  6. Starkey wrote:
    > Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
    > where it come from
    > http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
    > screenshot of it

    turn on a firewall, and download SP2 for XP.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 8, 2005
  7. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:11:50 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Starkey wrote:
    >> Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
    >> where it come from
    >> http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
    >> screenshot of it

    >turn on a firewall, and download SP2 for XP.

    sp1 is ok for me my problem is fixed

    Starkey, Sep 9, 2005
  8. Starkey wrote:
    >>>Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
    >>>where it come from
    >>>http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
    >>>screenshot of it

    >>turn on a firewall, and download SP2 for XP.

    > sp1 is ok for me my problem is fixed

    sorry, I just assumed(yep, ass, u, me) that seeing as you had never come
    across this sort of thing before and that you were asking about it
    before checking the obvious, that you were not aware of how to shut off
    that service, so I thought of the easiest method(least knowledge needed)
    to plug the hole, SP2.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 9, 2005