Message tagging

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the sender see
    when the email has been read etc ?

    www.msgtag.com
    www.didtheyreadit.com

    Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the email
    tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the sender to see
    whats happened.... I personally would find it intrusive - I dont want info
    about my mail being bounced around the world, even if the software owners
    claim they follow privacy laws etc.

    If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    XPD, Dec 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. XPD

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:13:36 +1300, in message
     <>, XPD wrote:

    > What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the sender see
    > when the email has been read etc ?
    >
    > www.msgtag.com
    > www.didtheyreadit.com
    >
    > Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the email
    > tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the sender to see
    > whats happened.... I personally would find it intrusive - I dont want info
    > about my mail being bounced around the world, even if the software owners
    > claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >
    > If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)



    1. I would not use such a service. I would not touch it with a 10-foot
    barge pole.

    How do I know that they don't collect email addresses and on-sell
    them to spammers? Who pays the piper?


    2. I presume these services work by embedding "web bugs" in outgoing
    (HTML) emails. When the recipient opens the email with a reader
    that is vulnerable to web bugs, the central server gets a load
    request for the web bug and knows that the mail was read. (This
    is the same technique used by some spammers to verify that you
    read their spam.)

    If the recipient is using an email client which does not load
    remote images in email *, then the service is not going to work.

    * For example, Thunderbird configured to not load any remote images.


    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Happy New Year to all!!
    * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Ralph Fox, Dec 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising


  3. >
    > www.msgtag.com
    > www.didtheyreadit.com
    >


    As far as I know , they just use webbugs (adds a invisible image into your
    email which when reading via your email program accesses the image and then
    you know someone has read it. (Unless the client you are using doesn't
    access them by default)

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Dec 29, 2005
    #3
  4. XPD

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:13:36 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    wrote:

    >What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the sender see
    >when the email has been read etc ?
    >
    >www.msgtag.com
    >www.didtheyreadit.com
    >
    >Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the email
    >tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the sender to see
    >whats happened.... I personally would find it intrusive - I dont want info
    >about my mail being bounced around the world, even if the software owners
    >claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >
    >If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    >


    my experience is very few people use it, compared to those that dont,
    maybe we move in different circles. Sometimes i tick ok other times I
    ignore it, depends who has asked and if they asked politelty
    Squirrel, Dec 29, 2005
    #4
  5. XPD

    Daniel Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the sender see
    > when the email has been read etc ?
    >
    > www.msgtag.com
    > www.didtheyreadit.com
    >
    > Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the email
    > tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the sender to see
    > whats happened.... I personally would find it intrusive - I dont want info
    > about my mail being bounced around the world, even if the software owners
    > claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >
    > If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    >
    >


    As as has already been mentioned, they are easily defeated by disabling
    the automatic loading of remote images.

    *However*, not everyone knows how to do this (believe it or not), even
    though the process is only a few mouse clicks - Thunderbird enables
    loading of remote images for sender addresses in your address book by
    default.

    So, for most techies/geeks I'm guessing remote images is disabled
    full-stop, but, for your average Joe they may not even realise (i.e. the
    "web bug" will work for them).
    Daniel, Dec 29, 2005
    #5
  6. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:13:36 +1300, in message
    > <>, XPD wrote:
    >
    >
    >>What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the sender see
    >>when the email has been read etc ?
    >>
    >>www.msgtag.com
    >>www.didtheyreadit.com
    >>
    >>Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the email
    >>tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the sender to see
    >>whats happened.... I personally would find it intrusive - I dont want info
    >>about my mail being bounced around the world, even if the software owners
    >>claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >>
    >>If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)

    >
    > 2. I presume these services work by embedding "web bugs" in outgoing
    > (HTML) emails. When the recipient opens the email with a reader
    > that is vulnerable to web bugs, the central server gets a load
    > request for the web bug and knows that the mail was read. (This
    > is the same technique used by some spammers to verify that you
    > read their spam.)
    >
    > If the recipient is using an email client which does not load
    > remote images in email *, then the service is not going to work.
    >
    > * For example, Thunderbird configured to not load any remote images.
    >

    'Read receipts' are not done by 'web bugs'. TBird gives you the option
    to turn off read receipts under Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced. The use
    of a centralised server to do what is already built into the client is
    dubious, to say the least.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 30, 2005
    #6
  7. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >
    >> What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the
    >> sender see when the email has been read etc ?
    >>
    >> www.msgtag.com
    >> www.didtheyreadit.com
    >>
    >> Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the
    >> email tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the
    >> sender to see whats happened.... I personally would find it intrusive
    >> - I dont want info about my mail being bounced around the world, even
    >> if the software owners claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >>
    >> If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    >>
    >>

    >
    > As as has already been mentioned, they are easily defeated by disabling
    > the automatic loading of remote images.
    >
    > *However*, not everyone knows how to do this (believe it or not), even
    > though the process is only a few mouse clicks - Thunderbird enables
    > loading of remote images for sender addresses in your address book by
    > default.
    >
    > So, for most techies/geeks I'm guessing remote images is disabled
    > full-stop, but, for your average Joe they may not even realise (i.e. the
    > "web bug" will work for them).
    >

    There is already a method for returning "read receipts" that has nothing
    to do with webbugs. Look in Edit-->Preferences-->Advnaced. More than
    likely read receipts are turned on, at least partially.

    Having a central server to provide a service that already exists is
    dubious to say the least.

    Incidentally, in Outlook it is really difficult to prevent your machine
    responding with a read receipt when you open an email. I don't know
    about Outlook Express.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 30, 2005
    #7
  8. XPD

    Daniel Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the
    >>> sender see when the email has been read etc ?
    >>>
    >>> www.msgtag.com
    >>> www.didtheyreadit.com
    >>>
    >>> Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the
    >>> email tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the
    >>> sender to see whats happened.... I personally would find it
    >>> intrusive - I dont want info about my mail being bounced around the
    >>> world, even if the software owners claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >>>
    >>> If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> As as has already been mentioned, they are easily defeated by
    >> disabling the automatic loading of remote images.
    >>
    >> *However*, not everyone knows how to do this (believe it or not), even
    >> though the process is only a few mouse clicks - Thunderbird enables
    >> loading of remote images for sender addresses in your address book by
    >> default.
    >>
    >> So, for most techies/geeks I'm guessing remote images is disabled
    >> full-stop, but, for your average Joe they may not even realise (i.e.
    >> the "web bug" will work for them).

    >
    > >

    > There is already a method for returning "read receipts" that has nothing
    > to do with webbugs. Look in Edit-->Preferences-->Advnaced. More than
    > likely read receipts are turned on, at least partially.
    >


    I thought the implication was that return receipts were already disabled
    (why use something like msgtag otherwise).

    But, yes you have to manually disable return receipts (for everything)
    as well. Disabling return receipts is not a new thing, and I'm guessing
    enough people already know how to do this - which is why something like
    msgtag exists in the first place.
    Daniel, Dec 30, 2005
    #8
  9. XPD

    Jerry Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the
    >>> sender see when the email has been read etc ?
    >>>
    >>> www.msgtag.com
    >>> www.didtheyreadit.com
    >>>
    >>> Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the
    >>> email tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the
    >>> sender to see whats happened.... I personally would find it
    >>> intrusive - I dont want info about my mail being bounced around the
    >>> world, even if the software owners claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >>>
    >>> If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> As as has already been mentioned, they are easily defeated by
    >> disabling the automatic loading of remote images.
    >>
    >> *However*, not everyone knows how to do this (believe it or not), even
    >> though the process is only a few mouse clicks - Thunderbird enables
    >> loading of remote images for sender addresses in your address book by
    >> default.
    >>
    >> So, for most techies/geeks I'm guessing remote images is disabled
    >> full-stop, but, for your average Joe they may not even realise (i.e.
    >> the "web bug" will work for them).

    >
    > >

    > There is already a method for returning "read receipts" that has nothing
    > to do with webbugs. Look in Edit-->Preferences-->Advnaced. More than
    > likely read receipts are turned on, at least partially.
    >
    > Having a central server to provide a service that already exists is
    > dubious to say the least.
    >
    > Incidentally, in Outlook it is really difficult to prevent your machine
    > responding with a read receipt when you open an email. I don't know
    > about Outlook Express.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff


    tools>options>e-mail options>tracking options and tic the "never send a
    response" or "ask me before sending a response" radio button should work
    shouldn't it?
    Jerry, Dec 30, 2005
    #9
  10. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >>> XPD wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the
    >>>> sender see when the email has been read etc ?
    >>>>
    >>>> www.msgtag.com
    >>>> www.didtheyreadit.com
    >>>>
    >>>> Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the
    >>>> email tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the
    >>>> sender to see whats happened.... I personally would find it
    >>>> intrusive - I dont want info about my mail being bounced around the
    >>>> world, even if the software owners claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >>>>
    >>>> If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> As as has already been mentioned, they are easily defeated by
    >>> disabling the automatic loading of remote images.
    >>>
    >>> *However*, not everyone knows how to do this (believe it or not),
    >>> even though the process is only a few mouse clicks - Thunderbird
    >>> enables loading of remote images for sender addresses in your address
    >>> book by default.
    >>>
    >>> So, for most techies/geeks I'm guessing remote images is disabled
    >>> full-stop, but, for your average Joe they may not even realise (i.e.
    >>> the "web bug" will work for them).

    >>
    >>
    >> >

    >> There is already a method for returning "read receipts" that has
    >> nothing to do with webbugs. Look in Edit-->Preferences-->Advnaced.
    >> More than likely read receipts are turned on, at least partially.
    >>
    >> Having a central server to provide a service that already exists is
    >> dubious to say the least.
    >>
    >> Incidentally, in Outlook it is really difficult to prevent your
    >> machine responding with a read receipt when you open an email. I don't
    >> know about Outlook Express.

    >
    > tools>options>e-mail options>tracking options and tic the "never send a
    > response" or "ask me before sending a response" radio button should work
    > shouldn't it?
    >

    Are you sure that is Outlook? I had to create an adm template and go
    through hoops to disable it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 30, 2005
    #10
  11. XPD

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Daniel wrote:
    > > XPD wrote:
    > >
    > >> What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the
    > >> sender see when the email has been read etc ?
    > >>
    > >> www.msgtag.com
    > >> www.didtheyreadit.com
    > >>
    > >> Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the
    > >> email tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the
    > >> sender to see whats happened.... I personally would find it intrusive
    > >> - I dont want info about my mail being bounced around the world, even
    > >> if the software owners claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    > >>
    > >> If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > > As as has already been mentioned, they are easily defeated by disabling
    > > the automatic loading of remote images.
    > >
    > > *However*, not everyone knows how to do this (believe it or not), even
    > > though the process is only a few mouse clicks - Thunderbird enables
    > > loading of remote images for sender addresses in your address book by
    > > default.
    > >
    > > So, for most techies/geeks I'm guessing remote images is disabled
    > > full-stop, but, for your average Joe they may not even realise (i.e. the
    > > "web bug" will work for them).
    > >

    > There is already a method for returning "read receipts" that has nothing
    > to do with webbugs. Look in Edit-->Preferences-->Advnaced. More than
    > likely read receipts are turned on, at least partially.
    >
    > Having a central server to provide a service that already exists is
    > dubious to say the least.


    I guess they are trying another way to get around people like me who
    tell the client not to send back any receipts. But more likely they are
    collecting the extra information they can get using this method.

    >
    > Incidentally, in Outlook it is really difficult to prevent your machine
    > responding with a read receipt when you open an email. I don't know
    > about Outlook Express.
    Rob J, Dec 30, 2005
    #11
  12. XPD

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:09:04 +1300, in message
     <43b488b2$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    > > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:13:36 +1300, in message
    > > <>, XPD wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the sender see
    > >>when the email has been read etc ?
    > >>
    > >>www.msgtag.com
    > >>www.didtheyreadit.com
    > >>
    > >>Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears the email
    > >>tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows the sender to see
    > >>whats happened.... I personally would find it intrusive - I dont want info
    > >>about my mail being bounced around the world, even if the software owners
    > >>claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    > >>
    > >>If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)

    > >
    > > 2. I presume these services work by embedding "web bugs" in outgoing
    > > (HTML) emails. When the recipient opens the email with a reader
    > > that is vulnerable to web bugs, the central server gets a load
    > > request for the web bug and knows that the mail was read. (This
    > > is the same technique used by some spammers to verify that you
    > > read their spam.)
    > >
    > > If the recipient is using an email client which does not load
    > > remote images in email *, then the service is not going to work.
    > >
    > > * For example, Thunderbird configured to not load any remote images.
    > >

    > 'Read receipts' are not done by 'web bugs'.



    I do know that normal read receipts (RFC2298) are not done by web bugs.
    However it appears that the services, which we are discussing in this
    thread, do _not_ use standard read receipts.


    A. I suggest that you first read these services' descriptions.

    http://www.msgtag.com/home/
    | How is MSGTAG different from the read receipts you already
    | get in Outlook and other email programs?
    | Unlike traditional read receipts, MSGTAG doesn't hassle your
    | recipient with pop-up boxes — it's completely automatic — and
    | you can send tagged messages to practically any email address,
    | including Hotmail and Yahoo addresses.

    http://www.didtheyreadit.com/index.php/html/howitworks#readreceipts
    | How does DidTheyReadIt differ from the Read Receipts I use in
    | Outlook?
    | DidTheyReadIt is much more powerful from standard "return
    | receipts." It differs from standard read-receipts because it
    | works regardless of the e-mail program being used by the
    | recipient. Standard read-receipts don't work if someone views
    | your e-mail in web-based e-mail programs like Hotmail or Yahoo!,
    | and some desktop e-mail programs can't process them either. Even
    | when an e-mail program does support them, a lot of times they
    | are ignored by the recipient. Also, the recipient knows that
    | your e-mail is being tracked. DidTheyReadIt works automatically,
    | without alerting the recipient that the e-mail is being tracked.


    B. When a message is forwarded, read receipt requests are not forwarded
    with it -- but web bugs are ...

    http://www.didtheyreadit.com/index.php/html/howitworks#after
    | Each time the message is re-opened, even by a different person,
    | you will be alerted. This means that if the recipient forwards
    | your message, you will know.


    > TBird gives you the option
    > to turn off read receipts under Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced.



    So what? One of the points of the services which we are discussing,
    is that they continue to work even when the recipient has turned off
    standard read receipts.



    > The use
    > of a centralised server to do what is already built into the client is
    > dubious, to say the least.



    It is unclear which 'dubious' you mean.
    (a) You doubt that the services discussed use a central server
    (because the capability is already built into the client).
    (b) You doubt that it is a good idea to make use of the services
    discussed, because these services do use a central server.


    As (a) seems to be the thrust of your other comments, I suggest
    that you first read the service's description...

    http://www.msgtag.com/support/faq/#howwork
    | How does MSGTAG work?
    | As the name suggests, MSGTAG adds a small tag to your outgoing email.
    | When your friend opens the email, the tag notifies the MSGTAG server,
    | which in turn lets you know that the message has been viewed.



    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff




    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Happy New Year to all!!
    * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Ralph Fox, Dec 30, 2005
    #12
  13. XPD

    Jerry Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Daniel wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> XPD wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the
    >>>>> sender see when the email has been read etc ?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> www.msgtag.com
    >>>>> www.didtheyreadit.com
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears
    >>>>> the email tag has to talk back to a central server that then allows
    >>>>> the sender to see whats happened.... I personally would find it
    >>>>> intrusive - I dont want info about my mail being bounced around the
    >>>>> world, even if the software owners claim they follow privacy laws etc.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> As as has already been mentioned, they are easily defeated by
    >>>> disabling the automatic loading of remote images.
    >>>>
    >>>> *However*, not everyone knows how to do this (believe it or not),
    >>>> even though the process is only a few mouse clicks - Thunderbird
    >>>> enables loading of remote images for sender addresses in your
    >>>> address book by default.
    >>>>
    >>>> So, for most techies/geeks I'm guessing remote images is disabled
    >>>> full-stop, but, for your average Joe they may not even realise (i.e.
    >>>> the "web bug" will work for them).
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> >
    >>> There is already a method for returning "read receipts" that has
    >>> nothing to do with webbugs. Look in Edit-->Preferences-->Advnaced.
    >>> More than likely read receipts are turned on, at least partially.
    >>>
    >>> Having a central server to provide a service that already exists is
    >>> dubious to say the least.
    >>>
    >>> Incidentally, in Outlook it is really difficult to prevent your
    >>> machine responding with a read receipt when you open an email. I
    >>> don't know about Outlook Express.

    >>
    >>
    >> tools>options>e-mail options>tracking options and tic the "never send
    >> a response" or "ask me before sending a response" radio button should
    >> work shouldn't it?

    >
    > >

    > Are you sure that is Outlook? I had to create an adm template and go
    > through hoops to disable it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff


    Outlook 2003 on this computer, and I'm very sure. It's even in a
    logical place. It may be new with this version (11.6468.6568 S2).
    Jerry, Dec 30, 2005
    #13
  14. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    >>
    >> 'Read receipts' are not done by 'web bugs'.

    >
    > I do know that normal read receipts (RFC2298) are not done by web
    > bugs. However it appears that the services, which we are discussing
    > in this thread, do _not_ use standard read receipts.
    >
    >> The use of a centralised server to do what is already built into
    >> the client is dubious, to say the least.

    >
    > It is unclear which 'dubious' you mean. (a) You doubt that the
    > services discussed use a central server (because the capability is
    > already built into the client). (b) You doubt that it is a good idea
    > to make use of the services discussed, because these services do use
    > a central server.
    >
    >
    > As (a) seems to be the thrust of your other comments, I suggest that
    > you first read the service's description...
    >

    No, (b). If you wanted to use webbugs, you could use your own server.
    Use of a central is dodgy because firstly, there seems to be no need and
    secondly, in spite of their protestations, they might sell their
    collection of email addresses all of which are validated! The
    mother-lode for SPAMmers.
    >
    > http://www.msgtag.com/support/faq/#howwork
    >

    I did read the service's description. One of the FAQs was about
    'text-based' email clients. The gist of the FAQ was - they won't work.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 30, 2005
    #14
  15. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry wrote:
    >>
    >>> Enkidu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Daniel wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> XPD wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> What do people think of these email tagging programs that let the
    >>>>>> sender see when the email has been read etc ?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> www.msgtag.com
    >>>>>> www.didtheyreadit.com
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Just from a brief scan through the documentation etc, it appears
    >>>>>> the email tag has to talk back to a central server that then
    >>>>>> allows the sender to see whats happened.... I personally would
    >>>>>> find it intrusive - I dont want info about my mail being bounced
    >>>>>> around the world, even if the software owners claim they follow
    >>>>>> privacy laws etc.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> If people dont read their email, then thats their problem...... :)
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> As as has already been mentioned, they are easily defeated by
    >>>>> disabling the automatic loading of remote images.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> *However*, not everyone knows how to do this (believe it or not),
    >>>>> even though the process is only a few mouse clicks - Thunderbird
    >>>>> enables loading of remote images for sender addresses in your
    >>>>> address book by default.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So, for most techies/geeks I'm guessing remote images is disabled
    >>>>> full-stop, but, for your average Joe they may not even realise
    >>>>> (i.e. the "web bug" will work for them).
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> >
    >>>> There is already a method for returning "read receipts" that has
    >>>> nothing to do with webbugs. Look in Edit-->Preferences-->Advnaced.
    >>>> More than likely read receipts are turned on, at least partially.
    >>>>
    >>>> Having a central server to provide a service that already exists is
    >>>> dubious to say the least.
    >>>>
    >>>> Incidentally, in Outlook it is really difficult to prevent your
    >>>> machine responding with a read receipt when you open an email. I
    >>>> don't know about Outlook Express.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> tools>options>e-mail options>tracking options and tic the "never send
    >>> a response" or "ask me before sending a response" radio button should
    >>> work shouldn't it?

    >>
    >>
    >> >

    >> Are you sure that is Outlook? I had to create an adm template and go
    >> through hoops to disable it.

    >
    > Outlook 2003 on this computer, and I'm very sure. It's even in a
    > logical place. It may be new with this version (11.6468.6568 S2).
    >

    Cheers, that's good to know.

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 30, 2005
    #15
  16. XPD

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:55:50 +1300, in message
     <43b5ace7$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > If you wanted to use webbugs, you could use your own server.


    Cliff, I expect many people will not want to set up their own server
    simply to use such a service.


    > Use of a central is dodgy because firstly, there seems to be no need


    (a) You haven't understood that these services work in places
    where RFC2298 standard read receipt requests do not?
    (b) You believe no-one has a need to get read notifications
    from such places?
    (c) You believe truth should be the first victim?


    > and
    > secondly, in spite of their protestations, they might sell their
    > collection of email addresses all of which are validated! The
    > mother-lode for SPAMmers.


    That is what I wrote in the first place. Because you snipped that part,
    it appeared that you were discussing a different point.


    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Happy New Year to all!!
    * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Ralph Fox, Dec 31, 2005
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JP Morgan

    Vlan tagging switches.

    JP Morgan, Oct 27, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,037
    JP Morgan
    Oct 27, 2004
  2. STP and VLAN tagging

    , Mar 29, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    4,425
    Scooby
    Mar 29, 2005
  3. ants

    cisco vlan tagging

    ants, May 5, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    14,239
    Jonathan
    May 5, 2005
  4. Micha Schoeler
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    580
    Doug McIntyre
    Jul 22, 2005
  5. arthur
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    13,353
    Scott Lowe
    Apr 20, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page