message from yahoo?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Jun 27, 2011.

  1. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 17:45:11 +1200, "WorkHard" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> On 28 Jun 2011 05:22:47 GMT, Gordon <>
    >> shouted from
    >> the highest rooftop:

    >>> I think Geo has, she just wants confirmation. othing wrong
    >>> with that

    >> The only thing I'd criticise her on is not phoning Xtra's
    >> helpdesk to
    >> ask them. IMO having to wait for them to answer is not a valid
    >> reason
    >> to refuse to ask them first.

    >She has what is known as "freedom of choice".
    >
    >What YOU deem valid or not is irrelevant.
    >
    >And who is she "refusing"... you?

    Far be it from me to deny you your illusion of superiority. Do feel
    free to continue ...

    Donchano, Jun 28, 2011

  2. Geopelia

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:19:52 +1200, in message <>
    WorkHard wrote:

    > But who is she "refusing"... you, Woger?

    Wake up! Donchanto is not Roger Sheppard.

    Ralph Fox, Jun 28, 2011

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:iub63n$23i$...
    > In article <iuavob$4ue$>, Gib Bogle
    > <> wrote:
    >>On 6/27/2011 3:13 PM, Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask for
    >>> my
    >>> password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could someone
    >>> please
    >>> advise?

    >>Will you never learn?

    > Asking questions is one of the ways to learn. :)

    I can usually tell if something is spam. I ask here if I am not sure.
    With Yahoo upgrading it is hard to know .

    Geopelia, Jun 28, 2011
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > On 28 Jun 2011 05:22:47 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    > the highest rooftop:

    >>> Will you never learn?

    >>I think Geo has, she just wants confirmation. othing wrong with that

    > The only thing I'd criticise her on is not phoning Xtra's helpdesk to
    > ask them. IMO having to wait for them to answer is not a valid reason
    > to refuse to ask them first.

    I just don't have the time to sit on the end of the phone for half an hour
    or so.
    Quicker to ask here.

    Lazy B, aren't I?

    Xtra should do what the income tax people do, take one's number and say when
    they are going to phone back. It was over an hour this week for the tax
    people.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 28, 2011
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "WorkHard" <> wrote in message
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:19:52 +1200, in message
    >> <> WorkHard wrote:
    >>
    >>> But who is she "refusing"... you, Woger?

    >> Wake up! Donchanto is not Roger Sheppard.

    > Is that you, Ralph?

    Oh dear, I didn't mean to start an argument.
    I'm grateful for everybody's help, even if it isn't practical to take it.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 28, 2011
  6. Geopelia

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 6/28/2011 5:22 PM, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-06-27, Gib Bogle<> wrote:
    >> On 6/27/2011 3:13 PM, Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Is this message from Yahoo? I suspect spam of course as they ask for my
    >>> password. But with the upgrade, I am not sure of that. Could someone please
    >>> advise?

    >> Will you never learn?

    > I think Geo has, she just wants confirmation. othing wrong with that

    This must be about the 4th time she's asked this kind of question. If
    you are reading this Geo: any time you get an email from someone you
    don't know with the word "password" in it, you can safely delete it.
    Even if it appears to be from someone you know, if it is requesting
    username and/or password info, you can delete it.

    Gib Bogle, Jun 28, 2011
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > On 6/28/2011 5:22 PM, Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Will you never learn?

    >> I think Geo has, she just wants confirmation. othing wrong with that

    > This must be about the 4th time she's asked this kind of question. If you
    > are reading this Geo: any time you get an email from someone you don't
    > know with the word "password" in it, you can safely delete it. Even if it
    > appears to be from someone you know, if it is requesting username and/or
    > password info, you can delete it.

    Thanks. I usually do.
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 28, 2011
  8. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >On 28 Jun 2011 05:22:47 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    >the highest rooftop:
    >>>
    >>> Will you never learn?

    >>I think Geo has, she just wants confirmation. othing wrong with that

    >The only thing I'd criticise her on is not phoning Xtra's helpdesk to
    >ask them. IMO having to wait for them to answer is not a valid reason
    >to refuse to ask them first.

    Hell desks are called that for a reason. Very few "call centers" (notice
    they aren't called 'customer service centers' or "answer centers" :) ):
    a) answer quickly
    b) know anything
    c) are anything other than a waste of time.

    There are many examples of this and pitifully few counter examples.

    Why waste time on hold when a quick message here will get at least 3 useful
    and probably helpful answers ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 29, 2011
  9. In article <iuco30$t4b$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip) (and no :) )

    >Xtra should do what the income tax people do, take one's number and say when
    >they are going to phone back. It was over an hour this week for the tax
    >people.

    Note ... never ring the tax department. Write them letters. When they ring
    you in reply to your letter (!), ask them to reply in writing. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 29, 2011
  10. In article <iudgfc$2gg$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >On 6/28/2011 5:22 PM, Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Will you never learn?

    >> I think Geo has, she just wants confirmation. othing wrong with that

    >This must be about the 4th time she's asked this kind of question. If
    >you are reading this Geo: any time you get an email from someone you
    >don't know with the word "password" in it, you can safely delete it.
    >Even if it appears to be from someone you know, if it is requesting
    >username and/or password info, you can delete it.

    Considerable truth to that. Worst case, it's real and important ... and they
    will contact you again. Best case ? ... you save a lot of aggravation. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 29, 2011
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:iudr3h$v9s$...
    > In article <iuco30$t4b$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    > (snip) (and no :) )
    >

    >>Xtra should do what the income tax people do, take one's number and say
    >>when
    >>they are going to phone back. It was over an hour this week for the tax
    >>people.

    > Note ... never ring the tax department. Write them letters. When they ring
    > you in reply to your letter (!), ask them to reply in writing. :)

    emailing them is useless, I sent several emails asking for something
    including the IR3 form, and nothing happened. When I finally phoned, the IR3
    must have been posted the same day.

    Geopelia, Jun 29, 2011
  12. In article <iuf677$4m8$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:iudr3h$v9s$...
    >> In article <iuco30$t4b$>, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >> (snip) (and no :) )
    >>
    >>>Xtra should do what the income tax people do, take one's number and say
    >>>when
    >>>they are going to phone back. It was over an hour this week for the tax
    >>>people.

    >> Note ... never ring the tax department. Write them letters. When they ring
    >> you in reply to your letter (!), ask them to reply in writing. :)

    >emailing them is useless, I sent several emails asking for something
    >including the IR3 form, and nothing happened. When I finally phoned, the IR3
    >must have been posted the same day.

    Agreed. But emailing them requires 'registration' too IIRC. Don't email
    either ... write them a letter. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 30, 2011
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:iugfbd$86p$...
    > In article <iuf677$4m8$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >>in message news:iudr3h$v9s$...
    >>> In article <iuco30$t4b$>, "Geopelia"
    >>> <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> (snip) (and no :) )

    >>> Note ... never ring the tax department. Write them letters. When they
    >>> ring
    >>> you in reply to your letter (!), ask them to reply in writing. :)

    >>emailing them is useless, I sent several emails asking for something
    >>including the IR3 form, and nothing happened. When I finally phoned, the
    >>IR3
    >>must have been posted the same day.

    > Agreed. But emailing them requires 'registration' too IIRC. Don't email
    > either ... write them a letter. :)

    I'm registered now. This is the first year for a while that I have done the
    tax, the accountant wants over $200 each!
    I'm not sure whether we really need to do an IR3, but I want to claim our
    imputation credits. I expect the tax people will say if I have got it wrong.
    I've had a look at the pages of stuff on the internet.

    It's got very complicated, when I did the tax years ago it was much simpler.
    I think it was an IR5 in those days for most people.

    Geopelia, Jun 30, 2011
  14. Geopelia

    bugalugs Guest

    On 30/06/2011 3:04 p.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > "Bruce Sinclair"<> wrote
    > in message news:iugfbd$86p$...
    >> In article<iuf677$4m8$>, "Geopelia"<>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Bruce Sinclair"<> wrote
    >>> in message news:iudr3h$v9s$...

    >>> emailing them is useless, I sent several emails asking for something
    >>> including the IR3 form, and nothing happened. When I finally phoned, the
    >>> IR3
    >>> must have been posted the same day.

    >> Agreed. But emailing them requires 'registration' too IIRC. Don't email
    >> either ... write them a letter. :)
    >>

    > I'm registered now. This is the first year for a while that I have done the
    > tax, the accountant wants over $200 each!
    > I'm not sure whether we really need to do an IR3, but I want to claim our
    > imputation credits. I expect the tax people will say if I have got it wrong.
    > I've had a look at the pages of stuff on the internet.
    >
    > It's got very complicated, when I did the tax years ago it was much simpler.
    > I think it was an IR5 in those days for most people.

    Not complicated at all.
    Just decide how much you would like them to give you. Put that in the
    box marked "Refund". Then take the calculator and work back from there.
    Seasy

    bugalugs, Jun 30, 2011
  15. In article <iugp3c$pgs$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> Agreed. But emailing them requires 'registration' too IIRC. Don't email
    >> either ... write them a letter. :)

    >I'm registered now. This is the first year for a while that I have done the
    >tax, the accountant wants over $200 each!
    >I'm not sure whether we really need to do an IR3, but I want to claim our
    >imputation credits. I expect the tax people will say if I have got it wrong.
    >I've had a look at the pages of stuff on the internet.
    >It's got very complicated, when I did the tax years ago it was much simpler.
    >I think it was an IR5 in those days for most people.

    Yep. Now, if you would have filled in an IR5, you don't have to (though I
    suggest to people that they still at least calculate the numbers in case the
    IRD owes them :) ).

    IR3s are relatively complicated ... but yes, if you don't claim it, you
    won't get it. And don't believe everything the IRD tell you either ...
    unless it's on paper of course. Even then, they sometimes get it wrong ...
    as we might expect. :)

    Good luck.

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 30, 2011
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:iugvm6$lgd$...
    > In article <iugp3c$pgs$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    > (snip)
    >>> Agreed. But emailing them requires 'registration' too IIRC. Don't email
    >>> either ... write them a letter. :)

    >>I'm registered now. This is the first year for a while that I have done
    >>the
    >>tax, the accountant wants over $200 each!
    >>I'm not sure whether we really need to do an IR3, but I want to claim our
    >>imputation credits. I expect the tax people will say if I have got it
    >>wrong.
    >>I've had a look at the pages of stuff on the internet.
    >>It's got very complicated, when I did the tax years ago it was much
    >>simpler.
    >>I think it was an IR5 in those days for most people.

    > Yep. Now, if you would have filled in an IR5, you don't have to (though I
    > suggest to people that they still at least calculate the numbers in case
    > the
    > IRD owes them :) ).
    >
    > IR3s are relatively complicated ... but yes, if you don't claim it, you
    > won't get it. And don't believe everything the IRD tell you either ...
    > unless it's on paper of course. Even then, they sometimes get it wrong ...
    > as we might expect. :)
    >
    > Good luck.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 30, 2011
  17. Geopelia

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    2011-06-27 Donchano <>:

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:26:09 +1200, Richard <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On 6/27/2011 4:52 PM, Donchano wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Did you phone Xtra's helpdesk?

    >>WHy? So that their time can be wasted as well?

    > What else are they there for?

    Money

    --
    "Some secrets can bring only catastropy"

    Valerij Legasov

    Gunnar Gren, Jul 7, 2011
  18. Geopelia

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    2011-06-27 WorkHard <>:
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "WorkHard" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> NEVER NEVER NEVER
    >>>
    >>> Don't ever give those details, or your personal details in
    >>> response
    >>> to any email... or phone call for that matter.
    >>>
    >>> NRVER NEVER NEVER!
    >>>

    >> Thanks to all. So as I suspected, it is spam. I'll delete it.

    > Yup.
    >
    > Sometimes these emails use legitimate email addresses. Like the
    > from addresses etc. They are put there to lull you into a false
    > sense of security.
    >
    > However, the link to reply will not go to xtra at all. It will go
    > to the people sending the email pretending to be xtra.
    >
    > No legitimate service will ever ask you to provide usernames,
    > passwords, addresses, CC details or any other such information
    > unique to you.
    >
    > And that's something else to watch out for. They may say please
    > login to see an importat message regarding your account....
    >
    > ... then they'll say click here to login. They'll take you to a
    > site that looks exactly like XtraYahoo and harvest your details
    > from there.
    >
    > NEVER EVER click any link EVER in such emails. Just go to the
    > website and login there.
    >
    > Geez, I won't even accept phone calls puporting to be from ACC or
    > anyone at all, EVER, that wants me to give personal details over
    > the the phone. I'll phone them direct and find out that way.

    I do not understand why email services accept HTML messages, just
    refuse them.

    SMTP/INFO: To: 49edbab6.1020201@fqdn
    Jul 6 20:00:27 Messagewall: {0} (0) SMTP/STATUS: received message of 1849 bytes
    Jul 6 20:00:27 Messagewall: {0} (0) MIME/REJECT: message contains no parts accepted at this address

    Gunnar Gren, Jul 7, 2011