    extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?

    Thanks

    Dalziel
    Dalziel, Dec 11, 2006

  2. Dalziel

    SteveG Guest

    Dalziel wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
    > wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this option,
    > the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
    > She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
    > emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
    > server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
    > extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dalziel

    Create a filter so that if the "To" "doesn't contain" "your wife's email
    address" then "Fetch from server"

    Alternatively, set up separate identities for yourself and your wife in
    the account settings. Then when you go to get mail just select the
    identity that you want.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Dec 11, 2006

  3. Dalziel wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
    > wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this option,
    > the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
    > She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
    > emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
    > server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
    > extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dalziel

    Separate profiles?

    How does server know if it's for you or for your wife?
    Don't you have different e-mail addresses?

    To many questions
    Doug Chadduck, Dec 12, 2006
  4. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    SteveG wrote:
    > Dalziel wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
    >> wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this
    >> option, the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
    >> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
    >> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
    >> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
    >> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Dalziel

    > Create a filter so that if the "To" "doesn't contain" "your wife's email
    > address" then "Fetch from server"
    >
    > Alternatively, set up separate identities for yourself and your wife in
    > the account settings. Then when you go to get mail just select the
    > identity that you want.

    Hi SteveG

    Many thanks for your invaluable advise. I have set the filter to
    "doesn't contain". Hopefully this should work. The other method is a
    little more daunting for me so will only resort to it if this fails.

    Your help was very much appreciated.

    Thanks & regards

    Dalziel
    Dalziel, Dec 12, 2006
  5. Dalziel

    Guest

    Dalziel wrote:
    > SteveG wrote:
    > > Dalziel wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
    > >> wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this
    > >> option, the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
    > >> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
    > >> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
    > >> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
    > >> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Dalziel

    > > Create a filter so that if the "To" "doesn't contain" "your wife's email
    > > address" then "Fetch from server"
    > >
    > > Alternatively, set up separate identities for yourself and your wife in
    > > the account settings. Then when you go to get mail just select the
    > > identity that you want.
    > >

    > Hi SteveG
    >
    > Many thanks for your invaluable advise. I have set the filter to
    > "doesn't contain". Hopefully this should work. The other method is a
    > little more daunting for me so will only resort to it if this fails.
    >
    > Your help was very much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks & regards
    >
    > Dalziel

    Identities are real simple. You can have many identities for one email
    address. Your email address is, for example,
    . You can have it:

    Dalziel at
    Wife at
    kids at

    and so forth. So now, when something comes in that says Wife, filter
    on that. To find identities look under Tools, Account Settings, select
    the account, and on the bottom right is Manage Identities.
    , Dec 12, 2006
  6. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    wrote:
    > Dalziel wrote:
    >> SteveG wrote:

    >>> Create a filter so that if the "To" "doesn't contain" "your wife's email
    >>> address" then "Fetch from server"
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively, set up separate identities for yourself and your wife in
    >>> the account settings. Then when you go to get mail just select the
    >>> identity that you want.
    >>>

    >> Hi SteveG
    >>
    >> Many thanks for your invaluable advise. I have set the filter to
    >> "doesn't contain". Hopefully this should work. The other method is a
    >> little more daunting for me so will only resort to it if this fails.
    >>
    >> Your help was very much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks & regards
    >>
    >> Dalziel

    > Identities are real simple. You can have many identities for one email
    > address. Your email address is, for example,
    > . You can have it:
    >
    > Dalziel at
    > Wife at
    > kids at
    >
    > and so forth. So now, when something comes in that says Wife, filter
    > on that. To find identities look under Tools, Account Settings, select
    > the account, and on the bottom right is Manage Identities.

    Thank you for that. But as it is only my wife and myself I'd rather not
    create any identities. She has her own computer. Unless, of course there
    is another advantage to having another identity on my computer?
    Dalziel, Dec 12, 2006
  7. Dalziel

    Guest

    Dalziel wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Dalziel wrote:

    > >> Hi SteveG
    > >>
    > >> Many thanks for your invaluable advise. I have set the filter to
    > >> "doesn't contain". Hopefully this should work. The other method is a
    > >> little more daunting for me so will only resort to it if this fails.
    > >>
    > >> Your help was very much appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks & regards
    > >>
    > >> Dalziel

    > > Identities are real simple. You can have many identities for one email
    > > address. Your email address is, for example,
    > > . You can have it:
    > >
    > > Dalziel at
    > > Wife at
    > > kids at
    > >
    > > and so forth. So now, when something comes in that says Wife, filter
    > > on that. To find identities look under Tools, Account Settings, select
    > > the account, and on the bottom right is Manage Identities.
    > >

    > Thank you for that. But as it is only my wife and myself I'd rather not
    > create any identities. She has her own computer. Unless, of course there
    > is another advantage to having another identity on my computer?

    No, no, no, no, you're not following. You don't create another
    "identity" for your computer. And you don't create another profile for
    TB. You create another identity for your email address. Click on
    Tools, Account Settings, select the account, and look at the area that
    says Your Name. This is where the identities come into play. You can
    have as many as you want there. Lets take my address. Its:

    Now, I can have Heavens at
    or I can have Mother at
    or I can have Business at
    or I can put a million other names.

    Mother, Business, Heavens, or whatever, would be placed into the Name
    section of that email account. Now, for you, you have one identity
    called Wife and the other called Dalziel. So, when mail comes in with
    the Name of Wife, then the filter could kick in and not download it.
    And all the mail addresses to Dalziel would be downloaded. On her set
    up, she would have the opposite. Anything that comes in with the name
    of Dalziel would not be downloaded. And anything for Wife would be.

    To set up these identities, you do it by clicking on the Manage
    Identities button Does this explain things futher?
    , Dec 12, 2006
  8. Dalziel

    Charani Guest

    On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:47:41 +0000, Dalziel wrote:

    > She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
    > emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
    > server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
    > extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?

    My husband and I have our own computers but I don't get his mails and
    he doesn't get mine irrespective of who logs on first. We have our
    own email accounts set up on our own machines. We don't share email
    accounts.
    Charani, Dec 13, 2006
  9. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    wrote:
    > Dalziel wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>> Identities are real simple. You can have many identities for one email
    >>> address. Your email address is, for example,
    >>> . You can have it:
    >>>
    >>> Dalziel at
    >>> Wife at
    >>> kids at
    >>>
    >>> and so forth. So now, when something comes in that says Wife, filter
    >>> on that. To find identities look under Tools, Account Settings, select
    >>> the account, and on the bottom right is Manage Identities.
    >>>

    >> Thank you for that. But as it is only my wife and myself I'd rather not
    >> create any identities. She has her own computer. Unless, of course there
    >> is another advantage to having another identity on my computer?

    > No, no, no, no, you're not following. You don't create another
    > "identity" for your computer. And you don't create another profile for
    > TB. You create another identity for your email address. Click on
    > Tools, Account Settings, select the account, and look at the area that
    > says Your Name. This is where the identities come into play. You can
    > have as many as you want there. Lets take my address. Its:
    >

    > Now, I can have Heavens at
    > or I can have Mother at
    > or I can have Business at
    > or I can put a million other names.
    >
    > Mother, Business, Heavens, or whatever, would be placed into the Name
    > section of that email account. Now, for you, you have one identity
    > called Wife and the other called Dalziel. So, when mail comes in with
    > the Name of Wife, then the filter could kick in and not download it.
    > And all the mail addresses to Dalziel would be downloaded. On her set
    > up, she would have the opposite. Anything that comes in with the name
    > of Dalziel would not be downloaded. And anything for Wife would be.
    >
    > To set up these identities, you do it by clicking on the Manage
    > Identities button Does this explain things futher?

    Oops! Misunderstood you first time. Yes, I see what you mean. Looked
    briefly at it and will revisit it again shortly.
    Right now I'm still learning Thunderbird by trial & error! Only been
    using it a week or so but still have OE as my default email client. Soon
    as I am comfortable with Thunderbird I shall make it the default email
    handler. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get my my replies to
    show at the top of the message rather than at the bottom. And how to
    find my questions at a later date in the NG. In OE I just had to press
    Control+ H.
    Again thanks for the help and support.

    Regards

    Dalziel
    Dalziel, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    Charani wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:47:41 +0000, Dalziel wrote:
    >
    >> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
    >> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
    >> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
    >> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?

    > My husband and I have our own computers but I don't get his mails and
    > he doesn't get mine irrespective of who logs on first. We have our
    > own email accounts set up on our own machines. We don't share email
    > accounts.

    Hi Charani

    Sorry, I did not see your message before. Thunderbird appears to have
    the replies all over the place and not grouped together. Could be me of
    course as I am a newbie to Thunderbird.
    My wife and I also have our own email accounts but from the same domain.
    Hence anything @domain.com goes to whoever logs on first unless we put a
    filter on it. The filters now appear to work after taking advise from
    SteveG and Heavensto murgatroid.

    Regards

    Dalziel
    Dalziel, Dec 13, 2006
  11. Dalziel

    Guest

    Dalziel wrote:
    > Sorry, I did not see your message before. Thunderbird appears to have
    > the replies all over the place and not grouped together. Could be me of
    > course as I am a newbie to Thunderbird.

    yup, its you. ;-)

    Look under View, Sort By. Its divided into 3 sections and you see a
    check mark in all three sections. Also, View, Threads, All should be
    selected, too.
    , Dec 13, 2006
  12. Dalziel

    Guest

    Dalziel wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Dalziel wrote:

    > >> Thank you for that. But as it is only my wife and myself I'd rather not
    > >> create any identities. She has her own computer. Unless, of course there
    > >> is another advantage to having another identity on my computer?

    > > No, no, no, no, you're not following. You don't create another
    > > "identity" for your computer. And you don't create another profile for
    > > TB. You create another identity for your email address. Click on
    > > Tools, Account Settings, select the account, and look at the area that
    > > says Your Name. This is where the identities come into play. You can
    > > have as many as you want there. Lets take my address. Its:
    > >

    > > Now, I can have Heavens at
    > > or I can have Mother at
    > > or I can have Business at
    > > or I can put a million other names.
    > >
    > > Mother, Business, Heavens, or whatever, would be placed into the Name
    > > section of that email account. Now, for you, you have one identity
    > > called Wife and the other called Dalziel. So, when mail comes in with
    > > the Name of Wife, then the filter could kick in and not download it.
    > > And all the mail addresses to Dalziel would be downloaded. On her set
    > > up, she would have the opposite. Anything that comes in with the name
    > > of Dalziel would not be downloaded. And anything for Wife would be.
    > >
    > > To set up these identities, you do it by clicking on the Manage
    > > Identities button Does this explain things futher?
    > >

    > Oops! Misunderstood you first time. Yes, I see what you mean. Looked
    > briefly at it and will revisit it again shortly.
    > Right now I'm still learning Thunderbird by trial & error! Only been
    > using it a week or so but still have OE as my default email client. Soon
    > as I am comfortable with Thunderbird I shall make it the default email
    > handler. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get my my replies to
    > show at the top of the message rather than at the bottom. And how to
    > find my questions at a later date in the NG. In OE I just had to press
    > Control+ H.
    > Again thanks for the help and support.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Dalziel

    one more piece of advice. When replying to a newsgroup message, don't
    click on Reply All. Just clicking on Reply will work. A lot of people
    don't want newsgroup messages emailed to them. Thanks
    , Dec 13, 2006
  13. Dalziel

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Dalziel wrote:
    > Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get my my replies to
    > show at the top of the message rather than at the bottom.

    Why would anyone want to do that? But:
    Tools > Account Settings > Composition & Addressing. The third option
    down is a drop down box, you'll want to change it from "start my reply
    below the quote" to "start my reply above the quote".

    Only please don't do it on your usenet account.

    Danny Colyer, Dec 13, 2006