Message cannot be delivered: "Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Error"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alex Vinokur, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    I sent an e-mail message that contains zip-file (C++ program and executable file).

    However the message has not been delivered.

    I have got the following e-mail from a postmaster (abridged).

    Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

    Recipient address: <Recipient's actual address>
    Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
    Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Error: Files attached to emails that contain or end in "zip" are prohibited on this server as they may
    contain viruses. The file named "my_file.zip" was rejected.

    What should I do to send my message successfully?

    --
    Alex Vinokur
    http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

    Alex Vinokur, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Alex Vinokur wrote:

    > I sent an e-mail message that contains zip-file (C++ program and executable file).
    >
    > However the message has not been delivered.
    >
    > I have got the following e-mail from a postmaster (abridged).

    > Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
    >
    > Recipient address: <Recipient's actual address>
    > Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
    > Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Error: Files attached to emails that contain or end in "zip" are prohibited on this server as they may
    > contain viruses. The file named "my_file.zip" was rejected.
    >
    > What should I do to send my message successfully?

    You could try changing the name of the file to "my_file.xxx" and
    instruct the recipient how to change it back. Are you sure you're a
    programmer?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Alex Vinokur

    Hammerer Guest

    "Alex Vinokur" <> wrote in message

    > I sent an e-mail message that contains zip-file (C++ program and

    executable file).
    > However the message has not been delivered.
    > I have got the following e-mail from a postmaster (abridged).
    > Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
    > Recipient address: <Recipient's actual address>
    > Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
    > Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Error: Files attached to emails that contain

    or end in "zip" are prohibited on this server as they may
    > contain viruses. The file named "my_file.zip" was rejected.
    > What should I do to send my message successfully?

    Don't attach 'zip' attachments.

    Hammerer, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Alex Vinokur

    Richard Guest

    Alex Vinokur wrote:

    > I sent an e-mail message that contains zip-file (C++ program and
    > executable file).

    > However the message has not been delivered.

    > I have got the following e-mail from a postmaster (abridged).

    > Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

    > Recipient address: <Recipient's actual address>
    > Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
    > Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Error: Files attached to emails that contain
    > or end in "zip" are prohibited on this server as they may contain
    > viruses. The file named "my_file.zip" was rejected.

    > What should I do to send my message successfully?

    AOL does not accept attachments.
    Many services do not accept them as stated.
    You could try using IRC.
    Depending of file size, you could find a free host you could post it at and
    link to the file that way.
    Or, have the person obtain a free e-mail from somewhere that allows
    attachments.

    Richard, Nov 30, 2004
  5. "Alex Vinokur" <> wrote in message
    >I sent an e-mail message that contains zip-file (C++ program and executable
    >file).
    > What should I do to send my message successfully?

    Email is not the ideal method for transferring files, really. Why not
    upload the file to your webspace and email the intended recipient a download
    link?

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    ++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Nov 30, 2004
  6. Alex Vinokur

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:03:53 +0200, Alex Vinokur wrote:

    Did you ever read the replies last time you asked this?

    I don't recall you answering some of the questions asked.

    >I sent an e-mail message that contains zip-file (C++ program and executable file).
    >
    >However the message has not been delivered.
    >
    >I have got the following e-mail from a postmaster (abridged).

    >Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
    >
    > Recipient address: <Recipient's actual address>
    > Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Howdy!

    > I sent an e-mail message that contains zip-file (C++ program and

    executable file).

    > However the message has not been delivered.
    >
    > I have got the following e-mail from a postmaster (abridged).

    > Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
    >
    > Recipient address: <Recipient's actual address>
    > Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
    > Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Error: Files attached to emails that contain

    or end in "zip" are prohibited on this server as they may
    > contain viruses. The file named "my_file.zip" was rejected.
    >
    > What should I do to send my message successfully?

    I gather English is not your native language.

    If files that contain or end in ZIP are prohibited, then change the
    extension on the file.

    This is a "D'oh!" type question ...

    RwP

    Ralph W. Phillips, Dec 1, 2004
  8. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    "Alex Vinokur" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I sent an e-mail message that contains zip-file (C++ program and executable file).
    >
    > However the message has not been delivered.
    >
    > I have got the following e-mail from a postmaster (abridged).

    > Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
    >
    > Recipient address: <Recipient's actual address>
    > Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
    > Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Error: Files attached to emails that contain or end in "zip" are prohibited on this server as they may
    > contain viruses. The file named "my_file.zip" was rejected.

    [snip]

    The file named "my_file.tar.bz2" has been delivered with no problem.

    Alex Vinokur, Dec 1, 2004