Meridian Compact sharing exchange lines with Asterisk

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by JuliusP, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. JuliusP

    JuliusP Guest

    Hello,

    Does anyone see a problem with the following scenario???

    I want to share 3 exchange lines coming into a Meridian Compact with an
    Asterisk box, the questions I have is

    if the asterisk box sezies the line, will the Meridian sense it
    is in use and not allow it to
    be used and vice-versa??

    The Asterisk box will have 3 x FXO ports, the exchange lines will be
    split feeding to both, the Asterisk box will only answer the exchange
    lines if the inbound call hasn't been picked up by the Meridian within
    30 seconds

    The Asterisk box will have one FXS port (and two via a Sipura 2xxx)
    back to the Meridian Compact on 3 spare inbound exchange ports to allow
    for Asterisk to access Meridian

    Eventually the Meridian will be removed in favour of the Asterisk box
    entirely

    Comments appreciated

    Thanks

    Julius

    JuliusP, Nov 13, 2005

  2. JuliusP

    Lurch Guest

    On or around 13 Nov 2005 00:29:09 -0800, "JuliusP"
    <> mused:

    >Does anyone see a problem with the following scenario???
    >
    >I want to share 3 exchange lines coming into a Meridian Compact with an
    >Asterisk box, the questions I have is
    >
    > if the asterisk box sezies the line, will the Meridian sense it
    >is in use and not allow it to
    > be used and vice-versa??
    >

    >The Asterisk box will have 3 x FXO ports, the exchange lines will be
    >split feeding to both, the Asterisk box will only answer the exchange
    >lines if the inbound call hasn't been picked up by the Meridian within
    >30 seconds
    >
    >The Asterisk box will have one FXS port (and two via a Sipura 2xxx)
    >back to the Meridian Compact on 3 spare inbound exchange ports to allow
    >for Asterisk to access Meridian
    >
    >Eventually the Meridian will be removed in favour of the Asterisk box
    >entirely

    I wouldn't, I've had lines from PBX's shared with alarm diallers, PDQ
    machines etc... in the past to try and give some line priority and it
    doesn't always work too well.

    If you are going to ditch the Meridian, ditch it and use the * box, if
    you're not ready to ditch it, leave it alone. It'll only end in tears.
    --
    | Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |

    Lurch, Nov 13, 2005

  3. JuliusP

    alexd Guest

    JuliusP wrote:

    > The Asterisk box will have 3 x FXO ports, the exchange lines will be
    > split feeding to both, the Asterisk box will only answer the exchange
    > lines if the inbound call hasn't been picked up by the Meridian within
    > 30 seconds
    >
    > The Asterisk box will have one FXS port (and two via a Sipura 2xxx)
    > back to the Meridian Compact on 3 spare inbound exchange ports to allow
    > for Asterisk to access Meridian
    >
    > Eventually the Meridian will be removed in favour of the Asterisk box
    > entirely
    >
    > Comments appreciated

    You'd be best off like this:

    [LCR]

    [exchange]----Asterisk----------------Meridian
    | |
    | |
    VoIP extensions Meridian extensions

    The [LCR] bit is optional, of course. This way, you can migrate people
    seamlessly to VoIP, still use kit that will only speak Meridian, and also
    get asterisk to route calls in the most cost effective way. Of course it'll
    require a bit more outlay on hardware initially, but it will ultimately
    give you absolute control over what's going on, and hopefully be
    transparent to end users.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:27:12 up 10 days, 21:02, 4 users, load average: 0.61, 0.47, 0.39

    alexd, Nov 13, 2005
  4. JuliusP

    Julius Guest

    Thanks for the input