mercury

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    i have an outdoor thermometer...
    i don't think they use mercury in them anymore...
    i believe it's just red alcohol...

    well anyway...the thermometer usually shows 70 or 80 (degrees F)
    but as of late it's "drained down" to just 10 or so.

    anyone know how to fill it up again to maybe 70 or so?

    (g)

    philo, Dec 2, 2005

  2. philo

    Dave Lear Guest

    "philo" wrote in message news:

    > i have an outdoor thermometer...
    > i don't think they use mercury in them anymore...
    > i believe it's just red alcohol...
    >
    > well anyway...the thermometer usually shows 70 or 80 (degrees F)
    > but as of late it's "drained down" to just 10 or so.
    >
    > anyone know how to fill it up again to maybe 70 or so?

    I'll tell you next summer.

    Dave Lear, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Re: I feel like a loser.

    Vince Ramsy-Bottomley, Dec 2, 2005
  4. philo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-02, philo <> wrote:
    > i have an outdoor thermometer...
    > i don't think they use mercury in them anymore...
    > i believe it's just red alcohol...
    >
    > well anyway...the thermometer usually shows 70 or 80 (degrees F)
    > but as of late it's "drained down" to just 10 or so.
    >
    > anyone know how to fill it up again to maybe 70 or so?

    > (g)

    soak in warm water.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 2, 2005
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    <snp>

    > soak in warm water.

    :)

    philo, Dec 2, 2005
  6. philo quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > i have an outdoor thermometer...
    > i don't think they use mercury in them anymore...
    > i believe it's just red alcohol...
    >
    > well anyway...the thermometer usually shows 70 or 80 (degrees F)
    > but as of late it's "drained down" to just 10 or so.
    >
    > anyone know how to fill it up again to maybe 70 or so?

    > (g)

    Seems to be a common problem. My indoor/outdoor dial thermometer and the
    indoor/outdoor wireless digital thingy seem to be exhibiting the same
    symptoms (but only on the outdoor readings). Have you found a fix yet?

    Also, I feel cold when I'm outdoors, but it must be a psychological thing
    because of the defective thermometers.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.-

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 3, 2005