    says the same.
    any idea's.

    mike

    mike, Jun 17, 2007

  2. mike

    Guest

    "mike" <> wrote:

    >Ive just added memory to my computer from 2gb to 4 gb but win xp pro only
    >says ive got 2048,however belarc advisor says ive got 4gb and sis sandra
    >says the same.
    >any idea's.

    This has been addressed here before, I'm not sure if it was answered
    tho.
    I searched the Groups for /MAXMEM (cause it was totally the wrong
    answer) http://tinyurl.com/2s8zus sort by date to bring up the latest
    post - might read 256 + 256 = 384 !!??!

    note: /MAXMEM will do nothing for you.
    --
    Chinese "Internet addict" loses CTRL because his parents
    wouldn't give him money for an internet cafe, figures

    , Jun 17, 2007

  3. mike

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 01:30:35 +0100, mike wrote:

    >Ive just added memory to my computer from 2gb to 4 gb but win xp pro only

    Get a better OS.

    >says ive got 2048,however belarc advisor says ive got 4gb and sis sandra
    >says the same.
    >any idea's.

    How many times.....

    Guess which of the BIOS, BIOS reading utilities tell you your
    motherboard has 4GB.

    You did try this before spending money on RAM?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows xp 4GB

    Can I use 4GB of physical RAM with Windows XP Pro SP2
    Windows XP Pro+SP2 32-bit version can use 4 GB Ram. As it starts it uses
    0.5 GB
    and therefore shows 3.5 GB available. To show more than 3.5 GB you need
    www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic117376.html

    4GB RAM
    My new machine has 4GB RAM, the BIOS sees it just fine, but Windows XP
    Pro only
    sees a little over 3GB. Googling this phenomenon turns up nuggets of
    info ...
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=42545

    Can I use 4GB of physical RAM with Windows XP Pro SP2
    4 GB and can cause trouble in a standard 32 bit Windows XP system, in my
    experience. .... Windows XP Pro+SP2 32-bit version can use 4 GB Ram. ...
    www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic117376.html - 53k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 ...
    This document is Part 3 of “Changes to Functionality in Windows XP ....
    In addition, the kernel memory manager ignores any physical address
    above 4 GB. ...
    https://ms.helifan.net/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2mempr.mspx
    - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

    Part 3: Memory Protection Technologies
    Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2: Part 3:
    Memory .... the kernel memory manager ignores any physical address above
    4 GB. ...
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457155.aspx - 33k - Cached
    - Similar pages

    Me

    why?, Jun 17, 2007
  4. mike

    Bob B Guest

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    > Ive just added memory to my computer from 2gb to 4 gb but win xp pro only
    > says ive got 2048,however belarc advisor says ive got 4gb and sis sandra
    > says the same.
    > any idea's.
    >
    > mike

    Let Crucial scan your computer...it normally advises the how many RAM slots
    and the correct amount of memory allowed for your system

    http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CLnQwoj04owCFQztlAodGRqEGQ

    BB

    Bob B, Jun 17, 2007
  5. mike

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:07:24 GMT, Bob B wrote:

    >"mike" <> wrote in message
    >> Ive just added memory to my computer from 2gb to 4 gb but win xp pro only
    >> says ive got 2048,however belarc advisor says ive got 4gb and sis sandra
    >> says the same.
    >> any idea's.
    >>
    >> mike

    >Let Crucial scan your computer...it normally advises the how many RAM slots
    >and the correct amount of memory allowed for your system
    >>

    >http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CLnQwoj04owCFQztlAodGRqEGQ

    Except they don't account for the limits of the OS IIRC.

    >BB

    Me

    why?, Jun 17, 2007