    He has a ton of mp3 I Tunes he also has a stack of stuff on limewire such as
    wrestling and videos of pop music.

    How do I check the memory he is using and any other tips

    carololine, Sep 24, 2006

  2. carololine

    crazy fool Guest

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 23:01:13 GMT, carololine wrote:

    > My son has a two year old Packard bell laptop running win xp.
    > It runs very slow and is slow to boot.
    > I have had a look and think he has to much on the machine.
    > He has a ton of mp3 I Tunes he also has a stack of stuff on limewire such as
    > wrestling and videos of pop music.
    >
    > How do I check the memory he is using and any other tips

    Along with a ton of useless crap in the registry which generally causes
    slow downs. Try cleaning it out with a really good registry cleaner. The
    one from toni arts is damn good.

    crazy fool, Sep 24, 2006

  3. In article <Z0jRg.9350$>,
    "carololine" <> wrote:

    > My son has a two year old Packard bell laptop running win xp.
    > It runs very slow and is slow to boot.
    > I have had a look and think he has to much on the machine.
    > He has a ton of mp3 I Tunes he also has a stack of stuff on limewire such as
    > wrestling and videos of pop music.
    >
    > How do I check the memory he is using and any other tips

    Well first of all, how much RAM does this machine have? If you're not
    sure, right-click "My Computer" and go to Properties. It should tell
    there. That said, just having mp3s and what not on the hard drive is
    not going to slow the machine down unless the hard drive is so full that
    Windows can't use its own swap file - but if that were the case, you
    would have other problems as well. How big is the hard drive, and how
    much space is free? Having programs that run in the background that are
    not needed on the other hand, does take up system resources. This of
    course includes adware, spyware, and viri. Have you done scans for
    these? Downloading Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy and doing full
    scans with each would be a start.

    Finally, although it shouldn't affect speed, deleting temp files is part
    of routine maintenance. Remember that Windows is a horrible
    housekeeper.

    The Windows temp files are usually in two places for XP:

    C:\windows\temp <---everything in here can be deleted

    C:\Documents and Settings\user\local settings\temp <--- everything in
    here can be deleted. (Where "user" is the name of the account your son
    uses on his machine)

    You may have to be in Safe Mode to delete everything from these two
    directories. Also, you will have to set Windows to display hidden files
    in order to access these two directories.

    In addition, is his Windows up to date? Go to Windows Update and
    install anything that is needed. This includes service packs, security
    updates, etc.

    David Matthew Wood, Sep 24, 2006
  4. carololine wrote:
    > My son has a two year old Packard bell laptop running win xp.
    > It runs very slow and is slow to boot.
    > I have had a look and think he has to much on the machine.
    > He has a ton of mp3 I Tunes he also has a stack of stuff on limewire such as
    > wrestling and videos of pop music.
    >
    > How do I check the memory he is using and any other tips

    Check he doesn't have lots of files and/or folders full of files saved
    to his desktop.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 24, 2006
  5. On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 23:01:13 GMT, carololine belched:

    > How do I check the memory he is using and any other tips

    Ctrl + Alt + Del. Slash and burn. Ignore the warnings until something
    crashes. More than 40 processes running in the background is too much.
    --
    "I like chunky custard"

    Puss in Boots, Sep 24, 2006