    User resources = 60% free
    GDI resources =74% free

    Any help please Oxy
    oxy, Sep 27, 2003

  2. oxy

    HamMan Guest

    "oxy" <> wrote in message
    news:6cedb.708$...
    > OS Windows 98 SE
    > Ram 384 MB
    >
    > get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
    > when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
    > Resource meter shows
    > System resources = 60% free
    > User resources = 60% free
    > GDI resources =74% free
    >
    > Any help please Oxy

    1. More specs of your PC would help
    2. Have you tried re-installing Win98SE?
    3. If you have a P2 or above i would seriously recommend going to XP or 2000
    HamMan, Sep 27, 2003

  3. oxy

    Jerry G. Guest

    It sounds like you have something corrupted. Did you install anything
    exotic lately, either by accident or intentionally??? I have seen a
    corrupted registry, or ini file cause this type of fault.

    Have you been backing up the registry? If so, you can reload a previous
    version from the time when the machine was working properly. We do a weekly
    backup of the registry, and keep the previous ones for about 3 months.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
    Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

    Jerry G., Sep 27, 2003
  4. oxy

    DaveJ Guest

    "oxy" <> wrote in message
    > OS Windows 98 SE
    > Ram 384 MB
    >
    > get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
    > when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
    > Resource meter shows
    > System resources = 60% free
    > User resources = 60% free
    > GDI resources =74% free
    >
    > Any help please Oxy

    Some programs (mainly M$oft...) won't open if you have more than 256Mb and
    run with virtual memory switched off - dunno why though (and can't be arsed
    to find out).

    regards,
    DaveJ.
    DaveJ, Sep 27, 2003
  5. oxy

    oxy Guest

    Hi Jerry I'm new to all this pc stuff , could you reomend a free program
    that will clean my registry for me.
    Regards Oxy

    oxy, Sep 27, 2003
  6. oxy

    Buffalo Guest

    If your hard drive is almost full, you can get that error.
    Rt click on My Computer,Properties,Performance, Vitrtual Memory and make
    sure that it is set to let Windows handle it.
    What does it say in the top box (it will probably be grayed out, but it
    should give you the amt of free space on the drive it is assigned to)?
    Put "not enough free memory" in the search box in Google (include the "
    marks).

    Buffalo, Sep 27, 2003
  7. oxy

    °Mike° Guest

    Make sure that your swap file (c:\windows\win386.swp) is not
    set to 'Read Only'. Right click on the win386.swp file and
    choose 'Properties'. Uncheck 'Read only' in the attributes
    column, and press 'Apply'. The swap file has to be continually
    updated, and if it is in use (and read-only) you will get the
    symptoms you describe.

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:11:15 +0100, in
    <6cedb.708$>
    oxy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  8. oxy

    oxy Guest

    swap file attributes for win386 has archive checked, is this ok.
    Oxy

    oxy, Sep 27, 2003
  9. oxy

    °Mike° Guest

    The archive attribute makes no difference - don't worry about
    that. So long as 'Read only' is *unchecked*.

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:19:38 +0100, in
    <g5odb.28$>
    oxy scrawled:

    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  10. micro mart ran an article on this they said win98se has a bug it cant
    recognize more than 128mb of memory
    but I found it depend on the memory installed just depends how good it is if
    your lucky you might get away with a bit more but the more you install the
    less windows will accept

    run nortons memory check to see how much you can use

    and then set the limit on how much windows uses to just below that in
    control panel system info

    better off upgrading to win 2k something like that over there......

    Matt.

    Matthew Lancaster, Sep 28, 2003
  11. oxy

    °Mike° Guest

    What a load of nonsense! Windows 98SE can access 2 gigabytes
    (or is it 4?) of RAM, but more than 1 gigabyte can lead to system
    instability.

    Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM

    "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 04:32:35 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bl5o93$rcu$>
    Matthew Lancaster scrawled:

    °Mike°, Sep 28, 2003
  12. oxy

    Plato Guest

    oxy wrote:

    > OS Windows 98 SE
    > Ram 384 MB
    >
    > get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "

    Often an "incorrect" error message which may actually mean not enough
    hard drive space for your swapfile.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Sep 28, 2003
  13. oxy

    Plato Guest

    Matthew Lancaster wrote:

    > micro mart ran an article on this they said win98se has a bug it cant
    > recognize more than 128mb of memory

    Good source for toilet paper that article.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Sep 28, 2003
  14. micro mart ran an article on this they said win98se has a bug it cant

    Matthew Lancaster, Sep 28, 2003