    Can it be prevented?

    Can I check to see if that's happening to my machine?

    rgds/Bob
    BobW, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Le 03/04/2005 14:18, BobW a écrit :
    > Just read in the Mozillazine that Firefox can drain memory.
    >
    > How?
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Can it be prevented?
    >
    > Can I check to see if that's happening to my machine?
    >

    > rgds/Bob

    Fixed with the 1.0.2 version :)

    --
    Utilisez le butineur, le courriéleur et le lecteur de nouvelles
    .... avec lequel vous vous sentez le plus sécurisé ;)
    Michel Doucet, Apr 3, 2005

  3. BobW

    TheCroW Guest

    > > Just read in the Mozillazine that Firefox can drain memory.
    > >
    > > How?
    > >
    > > Why?
    > >
    > > Can it be prevented?
    > >
    > > Can I check to see if that's happening to my machine?
    > >

    > > rgds/Bob
    > >

    > Fixed with the 1.0.2 version :)
    >
    > --
    > Utilisez le butineur, le courriéleur et le lecteur de nouvelles
    > ... avec lequel vous vous sentez le plus sécurisé ;)

    I wonder, cause on my system 1.0.2 is slowing down things much more then
    earlier version.

    --
    Menno
    =====================
    TheCroW, Apr 3, 2005
  4. BobW

    ..brian.. Guest

    Michel Doucet wrote:
    > Le 03/04/2005 14:18, BobW a écrit :
    > > Just read in the Mozillazine that Firefox can drain memory.
    > >
    > > How?
    > >
    > > Why?
    > >
    > > Can it be prevented?
    > >
    > > Can I check to see if that's happening to my machine?
    > >

    > Fixed with the 1.0.2 version :)

    I don't know where you got that information -- 1.0.2 was a minor
    security update. There are *plenty* of people who still have memory
    leak problems, and would disagree with your statement. Luckily, I am
    not one of those individuals :)

    There have been memory "bugs" for as long as I can remember.

    Firefox "Memory Leak" Bugs: [http://tinyurl.com/6el6w]

    --
    Brian
    ..brian.., Apr 3, 2005
  5. BobW

    GK Guest

    I thought as much. I'm seeing memory drains for the first time here
    since I started using Firefox. They started with 1.0.2. Maybe it just
    took longer with 1 GB memory, maybe not.

    The system hesitates when I type sometimes.

    GK, Apr 3, 2005
  6. BobW wrote:
    > Just read in the Mozillazine that Firefox can drain memory.
    >
    > How?

    It doesn't flush pages you've visited and then closed from RAM, the way
    I understand it.

    On my machine, XP with 512 megs RAM, Firefox usage eventually bloats up
    to 300 megs and beyond, even with only one page currently open. I've
    tried the tweaks suggested in many places, but they don't fix the
    problem. Sometimes it takes a long time (over a day) to bog down the
    system, sometimes it happens pretty fast. Occasionally Firefox will hog
    99% of CPU cycles for no reason I can figure out, but that dosn't happen
    to me often.

    I think fixing this RAM/CPU issue should be the number one priority of
    Firefox developers, beyond security and everything else.

    Firefox is still my favorite browser. When it goes nuts, I stop the
    program and restart it.
    =?UTF-8?B?IsaSwq5AbksgcGFuxbHCqcKpSSI=?=, Apr 4, 2005
  7. BobW

    BobW Guest

    ""f®@nK panu©©I"" <> wrote in message
    > BobW wrote:
    >> Just read in the Mozillazine that Firefox can drain memory.
    >>
    >> How?

    > It doesn't flush pages you've visited and then closed from RAM, the way I
    > understand it.
    >
    > On my machine, XP with 512 megs RAM, Firefox usage eventually bloats up to
    > 300 megs and beyond, even with only one page currently open. I've tried
    > the tweaks suggested in many places, but they don't fix the problem.
    > Sometimes it takes a long time (over a day) to bog down the system,
    > sometimes it happens pretty fast. Occasionally Firefox will hog 99% of
    > CPU cycles for no reason I can figure out, but that dosn't happen to me
    > often.
    >
    > I think fixing this RAM/CPU issue should be the number one priority of
    > Firefox developers, beyond security and everything else.
    >
    > Firefox is still my favorite browser. When it goes nuts, I stop the
    > program and restart it.

    So, if I get it - when the computer slows that's an indication of drained
    memory and to get that memory back I should close Firefox, then reopen it??

    Thanks/Bob
    BobW, Apr 4, 2005
  8. BobW wrote:

    > So, if I get it - when the computer slows that's an indication of drained
    > memory and to get that memory back I should close Firefox, then reopen it??

    Works for me. You may want to verify with Task Manager that it's
    Firefox that's causing the problem before you shut it down. Sometimes
    some other program such as emule will eat your resources.
    =?UTF-8?B?IsaSwq5AbksgcGFuxbHCqcKpSSI=?=, Apr 4, 2005
  9. BobW

    Scott K. Guest

    type about:config into the location bar, press enter, right click any
    line, choose "new">"integer", paste this into the dialogue that appears:

    browser.cache.memory.capacity

    click okay, specify 16000 in the next dialogue that appears, restart
    firefox.

    Scott K., Apr 5, 2005
  10. Scott K. wrote:
    > type about:config into the location bar, press enter, right click any
    > line, choose "new">"integer", paste this into the dialogue that appears:
    > browser.cache.memory.capacity
    > click okay, specify 16000 in the next dialogue that appears, restart firefox.

    Already did that, but thanks. Doing a search for this issue yields up
    quite a large amount of users who have this problem with Firefox. It's
    not a deal-killer for me - I'll stick with this browser because I like
    it - but it's a big problem that I think should be top priority for the
    developers.
    =?UTF-8?B?IsaSwq5AbksgcGFuxbHCqcKpSSI=?=, Apr 5, 2005
  11. BobW

    Rizzo Guest

    Scott K. wrote:
    > type about:config into the location bar, press enter, right click any
    > line, choose "new">"integer", paste this into the dialogue that appears:
    >
    > browser.cache.memory.capacity

    I can't seem to pull this up - should it be browser.cache.disk.capacity?
    Rizzo, Apr 9, 2005
  12. BobW

    Z Guest

    Rizzo wrote:
    >> type about:config into the location bar, press enter, right click any
    >> line, choose "new">"integer", paste this into the dialogue that appears:
    >>
    >> browser.cache.memory.capacity

    > I can't seem to pull this up - should it be browser.cache.disk.capacity?

    He's telling you to enter a _new_ value.
    Z, Apr 9, 2005
  13. BobW

    Doug G Guest

    Rizzo wrote:

    > Scott K. wrote:
    >> type about:config into the location bar, press enter, right click any
    >> line, choose "new">"integer", paste this into the dialogue that appears:
    >>
    >> browser.cache.memory.capacity

    > I can't seem to pull this up - should it be browser.cache.disk.capacity?

    I had to add the preferences and restart Firefox, remove the preferences
    and restart Firefox, then re-add the preferences and restart Firefox
    before it stuck.
    Doug G, Apr 9, 2005