Memory utilisation: IP Input/ARP of WS-C2950-24

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AAW, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. AAW

    AAW Guest

    Hi.

    I have a Cisco WS-C2950-24 IOS version 12.1(12c)EA1 (no VLAN, only
    default) switch witch connects to a Cisco router (to Internet), 3 NAS,
    and 4 Linux hosts.

    The 'IP Input' on the switch seems to be taking up quite a bit of RAM.

    PID TTY Allocated Freed Holding Getbufs Retbufs Process
    <snip>
    26 0 38491484 1668836 4054528 399960 148992 IP Input
    <snip>

    The switch only complains about SYS-3-CPUHOG process = ARP Input when
    RAM utilisation is high.

    Also, the switch, on a regular basis, ARP process takes up a bit of CPU
    cycles. Then it drops back to normal (<1%) - looks to be related to RAM
    issue.(?)

    PID Runtime(ms) Invoked uSecs 5Sec 1Min 5Min TTY Process
    <snip>
    9 264861720 28719280 9222 40.86% 5.62% 4.17% 0 ARP Input
    <snip>

    Problem startd when 3 NAS went into production.

    However, if I add 'no ip proxy-arp' on the router interface that
    connects the switch, IP Input RAM utilisation drops, ARP process @ < 1%,
    but then it will break PING. ie. I can not ping the 4 Linux hosts.
    There is about 250 dial users on those NAS.

    I have ACLs on the router and NAS to deny worms as mentioned on Cisco
    www site.

    Does, approx. 4Mb of RAM for IP Input look about right in this
    situation? Or is there something wrong?

    Any comment appreciated.

    ===
    NAS interface to switch ...