    Needed to Be Running the Vista 64 Bit Operating System to Use All 4GB of
    Memory So I Upgraded to the 64 Bit Version and I am Still Only Showing 3.24GB
    of Total Physical Memory Does Anyone Know How I Can Resolve This?

    Messiah, Mar 14, 2008

  2. Messiah

    John Barnes Guest

    Check your BIOS for 'Memory Remapping" option. You may have to update your
    BIOS. Check your manual.

    John Barnes, Mar 14, 2008

  3. Messiah

    Messiah Guest

    I am Not a Computer Guru So I Dont Know Too Much But I Did Enter My BIOS
    Settings at My Computers Startup and There Was No Optoin For "Memory
    Remapping" Any Other Ideas You Have You Think May Help Me Would Be Much
    Appreciated Thanks

    Messiah, Mar 14, 2008
  4. Messiah

    Mike M. Guest

    "Messiah" wrote:

    > I Was Running the Vista 32 Bit Operating System and Installed 4GB of New
    > Memory to My PC, But Only 3.24GB of Total Memory Was Showing I Was Told I
    > Needed to Be Running the Vista 64 Bit Operating System to Use All 4GB of
    > Memory So I Upgraded to the 64 Bit Version and I am Still Only Showing 3.24GB
    > of Total Physical Memory Does Anyone Know How I Can Resolve This?

    I know from experience that you have to have 3 things to have a 64 bit
    system. The processor, the motherboard and the OS. If you don't have all 3
    not all of the ram will show up. Not to say that it isn't being used, I am
    not sure about that. I am not a guru either.
    Good luck-Mike

    Mike M., Mar 14, 2008
  5. Messiah

    John Barnes Guest

    Not all BIOS's support memory remapping. Some have it in later revisions.
    As far as I know if the BIOS doesn't support remapping there is nothing that
    you can do. When SP1 is installed it is supposed to show the full 4 gig,
    even though some of it is still used for the current uses, like PCI bus and
    graphics

    John Barnes, Mar 14, 2008
  6. Messiah

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Messiah
    <> wrote:

    >I am Not a Computer Guru So I Dont Know Too Much But I Did Enter My BIOS
    >Settings at My Computers Startup and There Was No Optoin For "Memory
    >Remapping" Any Other Ideas You Have You Think May Help Me Would Be Much
    >Appreciated Thanks

    Do you know what brand and model motherboard you have?

    DevilsPGD, Mar 14, 2008
  7. Messiah

    Messiah Guest

    The Mother Board I Have is an Intel 945GCZ

    Messiah, Mar 14, 2008
  8. Messiah

    Mark Guest

    Just a note:
    I read the manual for your BIOS and saw no setting allowing you to remap the
    memory hole.
    Please re-check:
    http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/biosglossarybymenu_v09.pdf

    If you find the command,
    Determine your current BIOS rev and bring it up to date.
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D945GCZ/

    Mark, Mar 14, 2008
  9. Messiah

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Messiah
    <> wrote:

    >The Mother Board I Have is an Intel 945GCZ

    I found several articles/forum posts discussing that chipset, none that
    managed to access all 4GB in x64 mode.

    I'm guessing that your motherboard simply might not have the ability to
    remap.

    DevilsPGD, Mar 14, 2008
  10. Messiah

    Theo Guest

    It's usually a motherboard problem. I have a Biostar TA770
    A2+ motherboard with a Phenom 9600 running Windows XP x64
    and Vista x64. I have 8GB DDR2 installed and both Windows
    XP x64 and Vista x64 see and report all 8GB, and I didn't
    have to set anything in the BIOS for this.

    Theo, Mar 14, 2008
  11. Messiah

    Jane C Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/

    For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of
    memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements: . The
    chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this
    capability include the following: . Intel 975X
    . Intel P965
    . Intel 955X on Socket 775
    . Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket
    940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and
    CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.

    . The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the
    Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
    . The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory
    remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was
    previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI)
    configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature
    must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your
    computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable
    this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory
    remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in
    BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to
    read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are
    available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory
    remapping feature.
    . An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.

    "DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message
    > In message <> Messiah
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The Mother Board I Have is an Intel 945GCZ

    > I found several articles/forum posts discussing that chipset, none that
    > managed to access all 4GB in x64 mode.
    >
    > I'm guessing that your motherboard simply might not have the ability to
    > remap.

    Looks like that motherboard doesn't have the required chipset.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, Mar 14, 2008
  12. But that has nothing to do with the Intel 945 chipsets.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 14, 2008
  13. Messiah

    Guest

    On Mar 14, 3:59 pm, "Jane C" <> wrote:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/
    >
    > For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of
    > memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements: . The
    > chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this
    > capability include the following: . Intel 975X
    > . Intel P965
    > . Intel 955X on Socket 775
    > . Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket
    > 940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and
    > CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.
    >
    > . The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the
    > Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
    > . The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory
    > remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was
    > previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI)
    > configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature
    > must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your
    > computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable
    > this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory
    > remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in
    > BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to
    > read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are
    > available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory
    > remapping feature.
    > . An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.
    >
    > "DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message

    > > In message <> Messiah
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>The Mother Board I Have is an Intel 945GCZ

    > > I found several articles/forum posts discussing that chipset, none that
    > > managed to access all 4GB in x64 mode.

    > > I'm guessing that your motherboard simply might not have the ability to
    > > remap.

    > Looks like that motherboard doesn't have the required chipset.
    >
    > --
    > Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    > MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

    As I've said a few times, some bios has an "advanced" mode. I have
    built two boxes using Gigabyte with Nforce4 chipset and know someone
    else with the same chipset and brand. Both respond to Control-F1 as
    the very first command when you open the bios. From that point on, you
    have extra features in the bios, one of which is the memory remap.

    No where in the manual does the documentation for the advanced mode
    feature exist. I found out about it from Gigabyte Tech support. I
    wasn't exactly POd about this, but it seems to me you shouldn't have
    to learn the secret handshake via the internet.

    , Mar 15, 2008
  14. Messiah

    Theo Guest

    Except to point out that it's not a Windows or Vista x64
    problem, it's a motherboard/BIOS problem.

    Theo, Mar 15, 2008
  15. Messiah

    Mark Guest

    The 945G has two "secret" sets of BIOS commands.
    The first must be turned on from within the BIOS under AMT functions which
    then (following are reboot) allow you to program this motherboard as a
    workstation under hard server control. Accessed by pressing CTRL-P.

    The second command is indeed CTRL-F1, but that is only available on the
    chipset 945GM-S2 which is not the case here.

    This computer is limited to 4GB which does not meet the requirement for
    memory remapping, so the function is not available.

    Mark, Mar 15, 2008
  16. Messiah

    Tony Harding Guest

    Messiah wrote:
    > I Was Running the Vista 32 Bit Operating System and Installed 4GB of New
    > Memory to My PC, But Only 3.24GB of Total Memory Was Showing I Was Told I
    > Needed to Be Running the Vista 64 Bit Operating System to Use All 4GB of
    > Memory So I Upgraded to the 64 Bit Version and I am Still Only Showing 3.24GB
    > of Total Physical Memory Does Anyone Know How I Can Resolve This?

    Isn't it a misconception that a 64 bit OS lets us *use* all the 4GB of
    memory, i.e., the 64 bit version has to map the same devices into high
    memory, so seeing Windows display "4GB" just makes us feel better?
    Obviously not the case if you have > 4GB.

    Tony Harding, Apr 1, 2008
  17. Messiah

    Tony Harding Guest

    Tony Harding wrote:
    > Messiah wrote:
    >> I Was Running the Vista 32 Bit Operating System and Installed 4GB of
    >> New Memory to My PC, But Only 3.24GB of Total Memory Was Showing I Was
    >> Told I Needed to Be Running the Vista 64 Bit Operating System to Use
    >> All 4GB of Memory So I Upgraded to the 64 Bit Version and I am Still
    >> Only Showing 3.24GB of Total Physical Memory Does Anyone Know How I
    >> Can Resolve This?

    > Isn't it a misconception that a 64 bit OS lets us *use* all the 4GB of
    > memory, i.e., the 64 bit version has to map the same devices into high
    > memory, so seeing Windows display "4GB" just makes us feel better?
    > Obviously not the case if you have > 4GB.

    As soon as I hit SEND I realized I'm assuming the BIOS, et al., are
    being mapped to real addresses. If virtual addresses then never mind.

    Tony Harding, Apr 1, 2008
  18. Messiah

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <47f1cb49$0$5650$> Tony Harding
    <> wrote:

    >Messiah wrote:
    >> I Was Running the Vista 32 Bit Operating System and Installed 4GB of New
    >> Memory to My PC, But Only 3.24GB of Total Memory Was Showing I Was Told I
    >> Needed to Be Running the Vista 64 Bit Operating System to Use All 4GB of
    >> Memory So I Upgraded to the 64 Bit Version and I am Still Only Showing 3.24GB
    >> of Total Physical Memory Does Anyone Know How I Can Resolve This?

    >Isn't it a misconception that a 64 bit OS lets us *use* all the 4GB of
    >memory, i.e., the 64 bit version has to map the same devices into high
    >memory, so seeing Windows display "4GB" just makes us feel better?
    >Obviously not the case if you have > 4GB.

    In short, no.

    Vista SP1 x86 now shows the total physical RAM, rather then the physical
    RAM accessible to the OS.

    x64 operating systems can access as much RAM as the physical motherboard
    is able to handle, with a theoretical limit at 16 exbibytes.

    However, this replies upon your motherboard's design to map the hardware
    address space to an area which doesn't overlap with physical memory.

    Most modern motherboards that support over 4GB of memory can either
    remap hardware or physical memory to avoid an overlap.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 1, 2008
  19. If you are the guy that sits with 4GB of RAM installed and have the machine
    report what you believe to be signifiantly less, you would probably start to
    consider if you should feel cheated?

    Same goes for the guy who sits with 6 or 8 GB and ponders this very mystery.

    The difference is that guy number one, isn't actually losing any memory, as
    you say, since the information that prevents him from seeing the amount has
    to have a physical location, whether the memory is re-mapped or not. Guy
    number two, really is losing all the resources above 3.(x) until he can
    perform the trick that resolves the issue. But they are both hit by the same
    issue, and NOT having more than 4GB memory installed doesn't make it
    allright, even if you can decide to just shrug it away if you like.

    I do think it is a major slip of intelligence that makes manufacturers
    release a product that is advertized as supporting up to 8GB RAM and having
    a BIOS that is in-fact preventing it. It is also somewhat comforting that
    some manufacturers does seem to have responded rapidly to this, at least
    with some of their products.

    This is bad enough - the memory clock speed issue that Colin mentions is
    worse. Even though the issue is easily solved, the cost of 800Mhz RAM is
    considerably higher than that of 667Mhz, an over-head that is poteentially a
    total waste if you need a fully equiped machine.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 2, 2008