Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ntouchet, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. Ntouchet

    Ntouchet Guest

    Just got a Dell Precision M60.

    It had a measly 512 of memory.

    I purchased 2 (two) 1GB modules and installed.

    The system would not boot.

    I can boot with EITHER module in slot 1 but not both.

    Also went to Dell Support with no help.

    The manual clearly states that it will recognize 2GB.

    This is driving me crazy.

    Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

    TIA

    Norm

    Ntouchet, Jan 15, 2008

  2. Ntouchet

    old man Guest

    Sure; buy compatible memory that is guaranteed to work
    www.crucial.com

    old man, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Ntouchet

    JANA Guest

    Most likely the memory you bought is not compatible with your motherboard.
    Call DELL and make sure that they send you the proper memory.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Ntouchet

    ded Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > Most likely the memory you bought is not compatible with your motherboard.
    > Call DELL and make sure that they send you the proper memory.
    >
    > --

    I see you're still a top poster.

    If you read carefully the original post, both memory modules are
    recognised when in slot one, but not when both installed.
    The OP cites the manual that it will recognise upto 2gb, so it's
    seemingly not an issue of incompatible modules, nor that the mobo
    won't recognise modules greater than 512, the indication is a problem
    with MoBo's slot 2.
    But Norm the OP is another who posts and then vanishes....

    ded, Jan 16, 2008
  5. Ntouchet

    David Guest

    I'm not expert by any means but today putting extra memory nearly drove me
    mad.
    PC supplied with 2x512mb, 2 slots empty.
    Fitted 2 further 512mb, giving 2gb.
    Today decided to fit 2 x 1 gb in place of the later 2 x 512.
    So removed and placed the 1gbs in.
    PC gave no monitor output. Panic, had I bought wrong type, faulty ones or
    broken my PC.
    Took both 1gbs out, and PC was ok with 2 x 512mb.
    added one of the 1gb it worked.
    Added the second 1gb and worked.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Jan 16, 2008
  6. Ntouchet

    ded Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not expert by any means but today putting extra memory nearly drove me
    > mad.
    > PC supplied with 2x512mb, 2 slots empty.
    > Fitted 2 further 512mb, giving 2gb.
    > Today decided to fit 2 x 1 gb in place of the later 2 x 512.
    > So removed and placed the 1gbs in.
    > PC gave no monitor output. Panic, had I bought wrong type, faulty ones
    > or broken my PC.
    > Took both 1gbs out, and PC was ok with 2 x 512mb.
    > added one of the 1gb it worked.
    > Added the second 1gb and worked.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > David
    >
    > Please reply to News Group

    The OP has disappeared so we're not able to discern what is problem
    without him posting more info.
    I note you are a virginmedia poster, the easiest and most reliable way
    to ensure one buys the right modules for one's PC is to use crucial's
    online scanner:
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CNT8jLio-5ACFRpgMAod6BywsQ

    Crucial are also the cheapest (in UK at least) for memory upgrades.
    Alternatively, if anyone is relunctant to buy online or knows of cheaper
    elsewhere, they could download Belarc Advisor:
    This will perform a full audit of a computer, it will tell you type and
    capacity etc, but also tell you everything about a PC, from OS key,
    hardware, software, drivers, versions, hotfixes, patches, etc etc.

    ded, Jan 16, 2008
  7. Ntouchet

    David Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message

    > The OP has disappeared so we're not able to discern what is problem
    > without him posting more info.
    > I note you are a virginmedia poster, the easiest and most reliable way
    > to ensure one buys the right modules for one's PC is to use crucial's
    > online scanner:
    > http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CNT8jLio-5ACFRpgMAod6BywsQ
    >
    > Crucial are also the cheapest (in UK at least) for memory upgrades.
    > Alternatively, if anyone is relunctant to buy online or knows of cheaper
    > elsewhere, they could download Belarc Advisor:
    > http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    > This will perform a full audit of a computer, it will tell you type and
    > capacity etc, but also tell you everything about a PC, from OS key,
    > hardware, software, drivers, versions, hotfixes, patches, etc etc.

    I not know how you know the OP not reading, or going to read.
    I'm not with Virgin as my ISP.
    Yes I'm aware of those 2 sites for giving the PC information.
    (Cruicial got it wrong for my PC by the way.)

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Jan 16, 2008
  8. Ntouchet

    ded Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    > "ded" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> The OP has disappeared so we're not able to discern what is problem
    >> without him posting more info.
    >> I note you are a virginmedia poster, the easiest and most reliable way
    >> to ensure one buys the right modules for one's PC is to use crucial's
    >> online scanner:
    >> http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CNT8jLio-5ACFRpgMAod6BywsQ
    >>
    >> Crucial are also the cheapest (in UK at least) for memory upgrades.
    >> Alternatively, if anyone is relunctant to buy online or knows of cheaper
    >> elsewhere, they could download Belarc Advisor:
    >> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    >> This will perform a full audit of a computer, it will tell you type and
    >> capacity etc, but also tell you everything about a PC, from OS key,
    >> hardware, software, drivers, versions, hotfixes, patches, etc etc.
    >>

    > I not know how you know the OP not reading, or going to read.
    > I'm not with Virgin as my ISP.
    > Yes I'm aware of those 2 sites for giving the PC information.
    > (Cruicial got it wrong for my PC by the way.)
    >
    > --

    Tesco is supplied by virginmedia.

    ded, Jan 16, 2008
  9. Ntouchet

    David Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message

    > Tesco is supplied by virginmedia.

    Yes, they do sub contract to them.
    Imteresting I was asking Virgin for prices last saturday but thier pricing
    structure so complicated I did not proceed. The prices quoted in thier TV
    adverts are so low but do not apply.
    If an offer is too good to believe it usually is.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Jan 16, 2008
  10. Ntouchet

    Cirga Guest

    Just because it supports 2GB does not mean it will support 2 X 1GB
    sticks. Its probably referring to 1 2GB memory stick. the fact that
    it wont boot with both of them installed would infer that. Dell
    motherobards are extremely generic IMO.. and they have funky
    requirements for memory modules. At least in my experience...

    Cirga, Jan 16, 2008
  11. Ntouchet

    Ntouchet Guest

    Thanks for all of the ideas.

    After a lot of Googling and a visit to Dell's support site, I am beginning
    to believe I have a bad slot 2 on the mobo.

    That said, I believe I can live with 1GB given the time and expense of a new
    mobo.

    Thanks,

    Norm

    Ntouchet, Jan 16, 2008
  12. Ntouchet

    nobody > Guest

    David wrote:
    > I'm not expert by any means but today putting extra memory nearly drove me
    > mad.
    > PC supplied with 2x512mb, 2 slots empty.
    > Fitted 2 further 512mb, giving 2gb.
    > Today decided to fit 2 x 1 gb in place of the later 2 x 512.
    > So removed and placed the 1gbs in.
    > PC gave no monitor output. Panic, had I bought wrong type, faulty ones or
    > broken my PC.
    > Took both 1gbs out, and PC was ok with 2 x 512mb.
    > added one of the 1gb it worked.
    > Added the second 1gb and worked.

    Probably some small amount of crud in the previously empty slots,
    reinserting the second time pushed it out of the way. Not uncommon...

    nobody >, Jan 17, 2008
  13. Ntouchet

    Plato Guest

    Ntouchet wrote:

    > Just got a Dell Precision M60.
    > It had a measly 512 of memory.
    > I purchased 2 (two) 1GB modules and installed.
    > The system would not boot.

    Get the proper ram from Dell.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 17, 2008
  14. Ntouchet

    Ntouchet Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Ntouchet wrote:
    > >
    > > Just got a Dell Precision M60.
    > > It had a measly 512 of memory.
    > > I purchased 2 (two) 1GB modules and installed.
    > > The system would not boot.

    > Get the proper ram from Dell.

    Who said I didn't get it from Dell?

    Dell Tech Support confirms a bad slot 2 which means a bad MOBO.

    Norm

    Ntouchet, Jan 17, 2008
  15. Ntouchet

    Ntouchet Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Ntouchet wrote:
    > >
    > > Just got a Dell Precision M60.
    > > It had a measly 512 of memory.
    > > I purchased 2 (two) 1GB modules and installed.
    > > The system would not boot.

    > Get the proper ram from Dell.

    Who said I didn't get it from Delll?

    Ntouchet, Mar 1, 2008
  16. Ntouchet

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:11:03 GMT, Ntouchet wrote:

    >"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> Ntouchet wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Just got a Dell Precision M60.
    >> > It had a measly 512 of memory.
    >> > I purchased 2 (two) 1GB modules and installed.

    With 1 only?

    With the original back in?

    With similar DDR / banks / ECC or not?

    You get the idea?

    >> > The system would not boot.

    >> Get the proper ram from Dell.

    >Who said I didn't get it from Delll?

    Usually price and availabilty from the likes of Crucial etc, is so much
    better than branded supplier.

    However if you did, simply send it back saying the system doesn't boot.

    Crucial (UK) says,
    compatible upgrade
    1GB Part #: CT389492 • DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC •
    DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 • more details

    Me

    why?, Mar 1, 2008