memory upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by wadealowther@yahoo.com, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I have an old Medion PC (MT5 Med 173 model) which originally shipped
    with 512MB of memory and I'm running XP Home edition on it.

    Looking to improve the speed, I replaced the 2 x 256MB memory boards
    with 2 x 512MB replacements.

    While I have seen a marked improvement in the machine's speed, I have
    a copy of Norton Systemworks running and on the "system information"
    page it still shows only 512MB of memory. Under the "memory" tab, the
    "total physical memory" is also shown as 512MB with a "total Windows
    memory" of 2062MB available. Everything is working "as was" under the
    old set up (only faster).

    I have got the speed increases I desired, which suggests that I've
    installed everything right, but I'm obviously confused by Systemworks:

    a. Is there a problem with Norton simply failing to recognise the
    replacement memory?
    b. Although I suspect it is working as it should be, how can I be
    certain that it is and that I'm am getting the full benefit of
    doubling the RAM.

    Regards

    WAL

    , Jan 3, 2008

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old Medion PC (MT5 Med 173 model) which originally shipped
    > with 512MB of memory and I'm running XP Home edition on it.
    >
    > Looking to improve the speed, I replaced the 2 x 256MB memory boards
    > with 2 x 512MB replacements.
    >
    > While I have seen a marked improvement in the machine's speed, I have
    > a copy of Norton Systemworks running and on the "system information"
    > page it still shows only 512MB of memory. Under the "memory" tab, the
    > "total physical memory" is also shown as 512MB with a "total Windows
    > memory" of 2062MB available. Everything is working "as was" under the
    > old set up (only faster).
    >
    > I have got the speed increases I desired, which suggests that I've
    > installed everything right, but I'm obviously confused by Systemworks:
    >
    > a. Is there a problem with Norton simply failing to recognise the
    > replacement memory?
    > b. Although I suspect it is working as it should be, how can I be
    > certain that it is and that I'm am getting the full benefit of
    > doubling the RAM.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > WAL

    Does the BIOS report a total of 1GB ?

    Have you tried a memory test program ?

    http://www.memtest.org (memtest86+ for floppy or CDROM)
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Memtest86+ will test any memory that the BIOS reports is present.
    The tester will run forever, unless you press <esc> to reboot
    the computer (with the floppy ejected). Two full passes is enough
    testing.

    http://www.memtest.org/pics/i875-big.gif

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 3, 2008

  3. Neil Green Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old Medion PC (MT5 Med 173 model) which
    > originally shipped
    > with 512MB of memory and I'm running XP Home edition
    > on it.
    >
    > Looking to improve the speed, I replaced the 2 x
    > 256MB memory boards
    > with 2 x 512MB replacements.
    >
    > While I have seen a marked improvement in the
    > machine's speed, I have
    > a copy of Norton Systemworks running and on the
    > "system information"
    > page it still shows only 512MB of memory. Under the
    > "memory" tab, the
    > "total physical memory" is also shown as 512MB with
    > a "total Windows
    > memory" of 2062MB available. Everything is working
    > "as was" under the
    > old set up (only faster).
    >
    > I have got the speed increases I desired, which
    > suggests that I've
    > installed everything right, but I'm obviously
    > confused by Systemworks:
    >
    > a. Is there a problem with Norton simply failing to
    > recognise the
    > replacement memory?
    > b. Although I suspect it is working as it should be,
    > how can I be
    > certain that it is and that I'm am getting the full
    > benefit of
    > doubling the RAM.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > WAL

    Right click My Computer and select properties.
    On the general tab under "computer" windows will
    report the CPU and amount of physical RAM.

    Neil Green, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Jan 4, 12:13 am, "Neil Green" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I have an old Medion PC (MT5 Med 173 model) which
    > > originally shipped
    > > with 512MB of memory and I'm running XP Home edition
    > > on it.

    > > Looking to improve the speed, I replaced the 2 x
    > > 256MB memory boards
    > > with 2 x 512MB replacements.

    > > While I have seen a marked improvement in the
    > > machine's speed, I have
    > > a copy of Norton Systemworks running and on the
    > > "system information"
    > > page it still shows only 512MB of memory. Under the
    > > "memory" tab, the
    > > "total physical memory" is also shown as 512MB with
    > > a "total Windows
    > > memory" of 2062MB available. Everything is working
    > > "as was" under the
    > > old set up (only faster).

    > > I have got the speed increases I desired, which
    > > suggests that I've
    > > installed everything right, but I'm obviously
    > > confused by Systemworks:

    > > a. Is there a problem with Norton simply failing to
    > > recognise the
    > > replacement memory?
    > > b. Although I suspect it is working as it should be,
    > > how can I be
    > > certain that it is and that I'm am getting the full
    > > benefit of
    > > doubling the RAM.

    > > Regards

    > > WAL

    > Right click My Computer and select properties.
    > On the general tab under "computer" windows will
    > report the CPU and amount of physical RAM.- Hide quoted text -

    I checked the BIOS and was only seeing 512MG showing in there. There
    are two SDRAM slots and the BIOS was showing one as empty. Clearly,
    the improvement in speed was all in the mind. LOL

    I reopened the back. The two 512MB memory boards I bought had slightly
    different specs (last two in the shop), I suspected that although I
    had been told that they were virtually the same they weren't. However,
    my problem was more obvious than that. The retaining clip on one of
    the boards that was hidden behind a load of wires, was not locked
    properly and the board was not seated correctly. A firm push and all
    is now well. The BIOS, control panel and Norton are all showing 1000MB
    of memory. Oh yeah, and the increase in speed is REALLY noticeable.

    Sorry, for my heavy-handedness and thanks for the help, which proved
    really useful.

    Regards

    WAL

    , Jan 4, 2008
  5. tony sayer Guest

    >I checked the BIOS and was only seeing 512MG showing in there. There
    >are two SDRAM slots and the BIOS was showing one as empty. Clearly,
    >the improvement in speed was all in the mind. LOL
    >
    >I reopened the back. The two 512MB memory boards I bought had slightly
    >different specs (last two in the shop), I suspected that although I
    >had been told that they were virtually the same they weren't. However,
    >my problem was more obvious than that. The retaining clip on one of
    >the boards that was hidden behind a load of wires, was not locked
    >properly and the board was not seated correctly. A firm push and all
    >is now well. The BIOS, control panel and Norton are all showing 1000MB
    >of memory. Oh yeah, and the increase in speed is REALLY noticeable.
    >
    >Sorry, for my heavy-handedness and thanks for the help, which proved
    >really useful.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >WAL

    FWIW....

    I've noticed over the years that one of the simplest and best
    investments you can make to PC overall performance is max out the RAM
    capability.....

    Of course with winders vister mister you'll need all you can get and
    more;!...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jan 4, 2008
  6. Neil Green Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > >I checked the BIOS and was only seeing 512MG
    > >showing in there. There
    >>are two SDRAM slots and the BIOS was showing one as
    >>empty. Clearly,
    >>the improvement in speed was all in the mind. LOL
    >>
    >>I reopened the back. The two 512MB memory boards I
    >>bought had slightly
    >>different specs (last two in the shop), I suspected
    >>that although I
    >>had been told that they were virtually the same they
    >>weren't. However,
    >>my problem was more obvious than that. The retaining
    >>clip on one of
    >>the boards that was hidden behind a load of wires,
    >>was not locked
    >>properly and the board was not seated correctly. A
    >>firm push and all
    >>is now well. The BIOS, control panel and Norton are
    >>all showing 1000MB
    >>of memory. Oh yeah, and the increase in speed is
    >>REALLY noticeable.
    >>
    >>Sorry, for my heavy-handedness and thanks for the
    >>help, which proved
    >>really useful.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>WAL

    > FWIW....
    >
    > I've noticed over the years that one of the simplest
    > and best
    > investments you can make to PC overall performance
    > is max out the RAM
    > capability.....
    >
    > Of course with winders vister mister you'll need all
    > you can get and
    > more;!...
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    The upside is that RAM is now incredibly cheap.
    I just bought 2Gb of 667Mhz DDR2 RAM for $50.
    My first 4Mb of RAM cost $280 in 1992.

    Neil Green, Jan 4, 2008
  7. "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> >I checked the BIOS and was only seeing 512MG showing in there. There
    >>>are two SDRAM slots and the BIOS was showing one as empty. Clearly,
    >>>the improvement in speed was all in the mind. LOL

    We all have made mistakes like this in our life time - it's what we call
    being human.
    I give you credit for being able to admit it, most people simply gloss over
    their mistakes and think they come off better than they actually do.

    >>>I reopened the back. The two 512MB memory boards I bought had slightly
    >>>different specs (last two in the shop), I suspected that although I
    >>>had been told that they were virtually the same they weren't. However,
    >>>my problem was more obvious than that. The retaining clip on one of
    >>>the boards that was hidden behind a load of wires, was not locked
    >>>properly and the board was not seated correctly. A firm push and all
    >>>is now well. The BIOS, control panel and Norton are all showing 1000MB
    >>>of memory. Oh yeah, and the increase in speed is REALLY noticeable.
    >>>
    >>>Sorry, for my heavy-handedness and thanks for the help, which proved
    >>>really useful.
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>
    >>>WAL

    >> FWIW....
    >>
    >> I've noticed over the years that one of the simplest and best
    >> investments you can make to PC overall performance is max out the RAM
    >> capability.....
    >>
    >> Of course with winders vister mister you'll need all you can get and
    >> more;!...
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer

    > The upside is that RAM is now incredibly cheap.
    > I just bought 2Gb of 667Mhz DDR2 RAM for $50.
    > My first 4Mb of RAM cost $280 in 1992.

    The down side is that now you HAVE to upgrade your hardware simply to keep
    the current level of performance with Vista that you already had with older
    systems with XP.

    BTW, my first system in 1984 was a 48K (yes, K not meg) RAM Apple II+ with
    one floppy and no hard drive, monochrome monitor and 1 mhz cpu for just
    under $1,500 - how times have changed!

    insignificant, Jan 5, 2008
  8. Neil Green Guest

    "insignificant" <> wrote in
    message news:86Hfj.73181$...

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    > We all have made mistakes like this in our life
    > time - it's what we call being human.
    > I give you credit for being able to admit it, most
    > people simply gloss over their mistakes and think
    > they come off better than they actually do.

    >>> FWIW....
    >>>
    >>> I've noticed over the years that one of the
    >>> simplest and best
    >>> investments you can make to PC overall performance
    >>> is max out the RAM
    >>> capability.....
    >>>
    >>> Of course with winders vister mister you'll need
    >>> all you can get and
    >>> more;!...
    >>> --
    >>> Tony Sayer

    >> The upside is that RAM is now incredibly cheap.
    >> I just bought 2Gb of 667Mhz DDR2 RAM for $50.
    >> My first 4Mb of RAM cost $280 in 1992.
    >>

    > The down side is that now you HAVE to upgrade your
    > hardware simply to keep the current level of
    > performance with Vista that you already had with
    > older systems with XP.

    Or keep using XP.
    I just built a new PC and I have no intention of
    migrating to Vista, but this problem has been around
    since windows 3.1, and probably long before that.
    I spent days convincing Win 3.1 to run acceptably on a
    286 and eventually gave up and upgraded the hardware,
    then again for '95, again for '98 then again for XP.
    The new PC doesn't in fact do any more than the old
    one did but it does it much quicker.
    As far as the OP goes, when I was putting this machine
    together I neglected to connect the 12V auxilliary
    power to the board and spent half an hour wondering
    why it wouldn't boot before I realised.

    > BTW, my first system in 1984 was a 48K (yes, K not
    > meg) RAM Apple II+ with one floppy and no hard
    > drive, monochrome monitor and 1 mhz cpu for just
    > under $1,500 - how times have changed!

    My accountant tells me he paid $6000 for an AT, and my
    state of the art Wang 286 was just over $3000, $3400
    if you include the monochrome dot matrix printer.
    The new PC cost a little over $600.

    Neil Green, Jan 5, 2008