    It is a HP Pavilion 511W
    TIA
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Sep 14, 2006

  2. Ronald Murray wrote:
    > Hello
    > My brother bought a used computer. It seems to run much slower than mine.

    that's probably not surprising..
    > It
    > has 128mb Ram
    > Intel Celeron Processor , Not sure of the speed.

    maybe an idea to give us processor speed first
    > If we up grade the memory from 128mb to 512 would that increase the speed?

    perhaps, but it wouldn't make much difference if the CPU speed sucked
    > How big of a job is it to increase the memory? Is it something we can
    > attempt ourselves or best to take it to the computer shop?

    if you don't feel reasonably confident, take it to a computer shop. the
    extra cost is better than frying something
    > Where can we buy the memory for this unit.

    try somewhere like http://www.memorystock.com/hp_desktop_memory.htm -
    google around

    David Fairbrother, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Ronald Murray

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Ronald Murray" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > My brother bought a used computer. It seems to run much slower than mine.
    > It has 128mb Ram
    > Intel Celeron Processor , Not sure of the speed.
    > If we up grade the memory from 128mb to 512 would that increase the speed?
    > How big of a job is it to increase the memory? Is it something we can
    > attempt ourselves or best to take it to the computer shop?
    > Where can we buy the memory for this unit.
    > It is a HP Pavilion 511W
    > TIA
    > ron

    Is it running XP? If so you need more RAM. When XP first came out they
    claimed it needed 128 to work. It just barely worked with that as soon as
    they started updating it. If you go to one of the big sites like Kingston
    they have a way to see what memory it will take. You need to find out how
    much it will take. If it can take a 512 module, you will find it runs much
    better. Should be simple to plug it in as long as you can get to it.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]

    Alex Clayton, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Ronald Murray

    Joe Guest

    After doing a simple google search for HP Pavilion 511W it would seem this
    computer is a:

    HP pavilion 511W-B Celeron 1.2GHz / 40GB / 128MB / WinXP Desktop
    128 MB of ram is not enough for Windows XP . Upgrading the memory would be
    noticable.
    Joe

    Joe, Sep 16, 2006
  5. Ronald Murray

    Bob Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > After doing a simple google search for HP Pavilion 511W it would seem this
    > computer is a:
    >
    > HP pavilion 511W-B Celeron 1.2GHz / 40GB / 128MB / WinXP Desktop
    > 128 MB of ram is not enough for Windows XP . Upgrading the memory would be
    > noticable.
    > Joe

    Memory for that model computer: Memory Speed: 100MHz PC100, Memory
    Type: SDRAM, # Pins:168, Max memory: 512 MB.

    SDRAM memory seems to be the most expensive per MB, probably because
    it's outdated, rarely manufactured anymore, and supplies limited. A
    256MB board runs approx $75 US.

    Bob, Sep 16, 2006