    dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I want to upgrade to as
    much memory as I can and would be very grateful for any advice on this!!
    Thanks jan x

    lilacbabe, Mar 13, 2005

  2. lilacbabe wrote:
    > Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to
    > upgrade the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The
    > trouble being I dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I
    > want to upgrade to as much memory as I can and would be very
    > grateful for any advice on this!! Thanks jan x

    I cannot believe there's still someone on this planet who hasn't heard of
    www.crucial.com!

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Mar 13, 2005

  3. lilacbabe wrote:
    > Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to
    > upgrade the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The
    > trouble being I dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I
    > want to upgrade to as much memory as I can and would be very
    > grateful for any advice on this!! Thanks jan x

    Having said that, I have just looked your up your system on their memory
    finder and it's not listed - must be *REALLY* ancient!

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Mar 13, 2005
  4. lilacbabe

    Tony Guest

    "lilacbabe" <51.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to upgrade
    > the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The trouble being I
    > dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I want to upgrade to as
    > much memory as I can and would be very grateful for any advice on this!!
    > Thanks jan x

    rom a Google search Packard Bell A520 seems to be the monitor. You could
    download Everest home from
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3 and
    under motherboard summary it will tell you what type of memory you need.
    Will also give you more details of your motherboard so you can find out how
    much memory it will take

    Tony, Mar 13, 2005
  5. lilacbabe

    lilacbabe Guest

    Thanks Tony for reply!! To Miss Perspicacia Ti,I know it is "ancient" but
    my daughter is using it for her homework also, I did look on Crucial.com
    but never mind! Once again Tony thanks for your advice I will look at the
    the webb page you suggested! Cheers, Jan x

    lilacbabe, Mar 13, 2005
  6. "lilacbabe" <51.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to upgrade
    > the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The trouble being I
    > dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I want to upgrade to as
    > much memory as I can and would be very grateful for any advice on this!!
    > Thanks jan x

    Save your money dude..you can buy an entry level computer for well under
    $300 that will be 20 times better/faster than that relic...

    Cleburne

    Patrick Cleburne, Mar 13, 2005
  7. Patrick Cleburne wrote:
    > "lilacbabe" <51.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to upgrade
    >>the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The trouble being I
    >>dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I want to upgrade to as
    >>much memory as I can and would be very grateful for any advice on this!!
    >>Thanks jan x
    >>

    > Save your money dude..you can buy an entry level computer for well under
    > $300 that will be 20 times better/faster than that relic...
    >
    > Cleburne

    Someone else who buys a new car when the tyres are worn out.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 13, 2005
  8. lilacbabe

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Brian H¹©" wrote in message news:ej%Yd.3031$

    >> Save your money dude..you can buy an entry level computer for well
    >> under $300 that will be 20 times better/faster than that relic...

    > Someone else who buys a new car when the tyres are worn out.

    Someone else who'd buy new tyres for a car that was so old it needed
    scrapping.

    Dave Lear, Mar 13, 2005
  9. Tony wrote:
    > "lilacbabe" <51.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to
    >> upgrade the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The
    >> trouble being I dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I
    >> want to upgrade to as much memory as I can and would be very
    >> grateful for any advice on this!! Thanks jan x
    >>

    > rom a Google search Packard Bell A520 seems to be the monitor.

    Well that would explain it then! I don't know anything about PB systems -
    Crucial only listed two and they both can take a maximum of 256MB.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Mar 13, 2005
  10. lilacbabe

    Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:31:38 -0000, "Dave Lear" <>
    wrote:

    |> > Someone else who buys a new car when the tyres are worn out.

    |> Someone else who'd buy new tyres for a car that was so old it needed
    |> scrapping.

    Someone else who has to buy the tyres as they can't afford a newer car.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/5b5oe

    , Mar 13, 2005
  11. Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
    > lilacbabe wrote:
    >> Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to
    >> upgrade the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The
    >> trouble being I dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I
    >> want to upgrade to as much memory as I can and would be very
    >> grateful for any advice on this!! Thanks jan x

    > Having said that, I have just looked your up your system on their memory
    > finder and it's not listed - must be *REALLY* ancient!

    Ancient *and* Packard Bell. It's the Upgrade Combo From Hell (UCFH).

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 13, 2005
  12. Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >> "lilacbabe" <51.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to
    >>> upgrade the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The
    >>> trouble being I dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I
    >>> want to upgrade to as much memory as I can and would be very
    >>> grateful for any advice on this!! Thanks jan x

    >> rom a Google search Packard Bell A520 seems to be the monitor.

    > Well that would explain it then! I don't know anything about PB systems -

    Apparently OP doesn't, either, if he thinks it's his monitor that needs
    more RAM. :)

    --
    Blinky T. "my computer is a Sony Trinitron" Shark

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 13, 2005
  13. Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Patrick Cleburne wrote:
    >> "lilacbabe" <51.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>>Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to upgrade
    >>>the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The trouble being I
    >>>dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I want to upgrade to as
    >>>much memory as I can and would be very grateful for any advice on this!!
    >>>Thanks jan x

    >> Save your money dude..you can buy an entry level computer for well under
    >> $300 that will be 20 times better/faster than that relic...

    >> Cleburne

    > Someone else who buys a new car when the tyres are worn out.

    You would too, if you were driving a Packard Bell. *Any* reason is a
    good reason.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 13, 2005
  14. lilacbabe

    Plato Guest

    lilacbabe wrote:

    > Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to upgrade
    > the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The trouble being I
    > dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I want to upgrade to as
    > much memory as I can and would be very grateful for any advice on this!!

    Actually Packard Bells are one of the easist pcs to upgrade ram on.
    Heck, the older owns didn't even card if you mixed brands when you had
    to put in 72 pin in pairs. The best thing for you to do is take the
    cover off and see what's already in there. Also note that if the pc is
    really old it may not take more than 64

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 13, 2005
  15. lilacbabe

    elaich Guest

    > Can any one help?!! I have an old Packard Bell A520 and I need to
    > upgrade the memory as it has only got 64 RAM at the moment.The trouble
    > being I dont know what type of card I need for this PC. I want to
    > upgrade to as much memory as I can and would be very grateful for any
    > advice on this!! Thanks jan x

    Very simple. Take out the existing card and carefully note what is written
    on it. Seeing the age of that computer, it's probably:

    PC100-222-620

    100Mhz,SYNC,CL2

    Search ebay for similar cards. Make sure that the card is not CL3, PC133,
    or PC100-333-620 unless your original one says the same. Also, if your card
    says SYNC on it, the new one must also say SYNC.

    You can find 128M cards like this fairly easily and quite cheap. 128 + 64 =
    192M. A huge performance boost.

    elaich, Mar 14, 2005
  16. lilacbabe

    Billy Guest

    <> wrote in message

    well

    relic...

    > |> Someone else who'd buy new tyres for a car that was so old it

    needed
    > |> scrapping.
    >
    > Someone else who has to buy the tyres as they can't afford a newer

    car.

    You are either playing along or are not really from Maine.

    Billy, Mar 15, 2005