Memory Upgrade for Compaq Presario 5BW285

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ozcamel, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. ozcamel

    ozcamel Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    I have a Compaq Presario PC Model 5BW285. Pentium III 866 Mhz with 128
    MB RAM

    I have noticed that the PC is very sluggish with lots of disk
    thrashing. Upon checking the available RAM using the MS System
    Information utility, there is very little left! 384 KB out of 128 MB.

    The motherboard has a "double sided" 128 MB PC-100 SDRAM module. What
    are my options to upgrade the RAM? Can I add a 128 or 256 MB PC-133
    SDRAM module to the 2nd slot? or should I replace the old module with
    a 512 MB PC-133 module?

    Is it OK to mix PC-100 and PC-133 together? Can I use "single sided"
    SDRAM in the Compaq motherboard?

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Scamelsands
    ozcamel, Dec 14, 2004

  2. ozcamel

    Win Guest

    There are 2 things that slow a pc crap and not enough memory
    If you are using 2000 or XP go buy 512 of sd ram that is 2 x 256 double
    sided ram
    if you are using win 98 or above go to start run and type msconfig
    go to the startup tab
    then go here and see what you do and don't need running
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    this is a big web page and takes a while to load

    Win, Dec 14, 2004

  3. ozcamel

    HH Guest

    Each of the two DIMM slots can accept up to a 256MB SINGLE DENSITY (low
    density) PC100 DIMM. A 512MB DIMM will not work. A low density 256MB DIMM
    will have 8 chips on each side of the DIMM in most cases.
    The suggestion about checking on what is running in the background is a good
    one.
    HH

    HH, Dec 14, 2004
  4. ozcamel

    Chris Hunt Guest

    just remember to check a place like crucial for info on memory. there are
    limits on memory you can install. my old computer for instance can only
    accept 256mb. double check this before you pop the memory out of its package
    to put in the computer because you may have wasted 80 $ on it.

    Chris Hunt, Dec 14, 2004
  5. ozcamel

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    I would add 2 sticks of 256meg/100mhz, giving a total of 512. If your board
    is the same as my 5BW, it will only run memory at 100mhz. You can also use
    133 if it clearly states it is backwards compatible. Sometimes Staples or
    Office Max have sales/ rebates. Crucial is supposed to be the best, but I
    am happy with what I got (K-Byte)...

    Uncle Vinnie, Dec 21, 2004
  6. ozcamel

    helena Guest

    I'd check them out online to see. I know that Staples has a $100 cash
    back rebate through 3/05 which would be an even better deal.
    helena, Dec 23, 2004