    upgrade. I understand that possibly beyond a certain point, some older
    boards like his will not benefit or support more memory, maybe beyond 256MB.
    Any suggestions or recommendations?

    7wing, Oct 10, 2004

  2. 7wing

    Kenny Guest

    Crucial memory calculator.
    http://www.crucial.com/calculator/
    Put in m/b make & model, it will tell you the right type of RAM. More
    memory will improve performance, 128MB isn't really enough for XP.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 10, 2004

  3. 7wing

    7wing Guest

    The Motherboard is an ECS (Elite Group) K7VZA.

    7wing, Oct 10, 2004
  4. 7wing

    colin Guest

    http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/manual_k7v.htm
    ftp://ftp.ecs.com.tw/manual/eng/k7vza10aeng.zip
    ftp://ftp.ecs.com.tw/manual/eng/k7vza20eng.zip

    Usually the manual will tell you the maximum amount of ram.

    colin, Oct 10, 2004
  5. 7wing

    Art Leonard Guest

    7wing wrote:
    > The Motherboard is an ECS (Elite Group) K7VZA.
    >

    > "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Crucial memory calculator.
    >>http://www.crucial.com/calculator/
    >>Put in m/b make & model, it will tell you the right type of RAM. More
    >>memory will improve performance, 128MB isn't really enough for XP.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>Kenny
    >>

    >>"7wing" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My son's computer has an approximately 4 year old ECS motherboard with an
    >>>AMD 1.2 Athlon chip, and running under XP Home. He's looking into a
    >>>memory
    >>>upgrade. He currently has 128MB PC 133 and was considering a 512 or more
    >>>upgrade. I understand that possibly beyond a certain point, some older
    >>>boards like his will not benefit or support more memory, maybe beyond

    >>256MB.
    >>
    >>>Any suggestions or recommendations?

    Here's the link to ECS.

    http://www.ecsusa.com/products/socketA.html

    I don't find that exact board. So I will guess a bit based on my exp
    with ecs boards. I think you would like the performance increase with
    512 meg of DDR 2100 or 2700 ram. Before you spend the $60 or so for the
    ram you might wish to check out a newer board which will handle some
    future upgrades that WILL come up. I suggest a board that will handle an
    8x agp card, faster ram and a higher speed AMD chip, they are all pretty
    cheap when done one step at a time. There are some decent mboards out
    there for less than $75.

    Art Leonard

    Art Leonard, Oct 10, 2004
  6. 7wing