    I can take it out , but then what do I look for on the memory stick? Or
    is there a program I should use to tell me ? ( in the same way I found out
    the name of my board? ) thanks

    alison xray!, Dec 25, 2006

  2. "alison xray!" <> wrote in message
    news:459061bd$0$28600$...
    > Hi .. I have been given a pc which is fine for what I need it to do except
    > it is quite low on ram ( 128meg ) .
    > I have a jetway v266b board and found loads of memory for this board on
    > Crucial`s site. But it mentions not mixing eec . none eec or parity
    > memory.
    > I know I dont have much memory to start with (!) but I would still like
    > use the memory I have when I add to it, so how do I find out what sort I
    > have ?
    > I can take it out , but then what do I look for on the memory stick? Or
    > is there a program I should use to tell me ? ( in the same way I found out
    > the name of my board? ) thanks

    The memory Crucial recommends will be correct!

    Chris Fishwick, Dec 25, 2006

  3. alison xray!

    Buffalo Guest

    > Hi .. I have been given a pc which is fine for what I need it to do except
    > it is quite low on ram ( 128meg ) .
    > I have a jetway v266b board and found loads of memory for this board on
    > Crucial`s site. But it mentions not mixing eec . none eec or parity memory.
    > I know I dont have much memory to start with (!) but I would still like to
    > use the memory I have when I add to it, so how do I find out what sort I
    > have ?
    > I can take it out , but then what do I look for on the memory stick? Or
    > is there a program I should use to tell me ? ( in the same way I found out
    > the name of my board? ) thanks

    Check here:
    http://www.jetway.com.tw/oldweb/evisn/product/amd/v266b/v266b.htm

    " Support 168-pin SDRAM DIMM and 184-pin DDR DIMM (Can't Use DIMM And DDR SDRAM
    memory Together)"

    This board can use two different types of memory, but only one or the other. It
    will not work with both installed at the same time.
    SDRam and DDRam.

    You can get pictures of the ram on Google and see for yourself if the 128 you
    have is DDR or SDR.
    DDR is not only faster than SDR, but now-a-days it is usually cheaper.
    You MB will support up to 2GB of ram.
    I would just forget about the 128 stick you have and buy at least one 512 MB
    stick of DDR. You can use Pricewatch.com etc for finding the cheapest price.
    Crucial is more expensive, but sometimes worth it. EBay also has some great
    deals.

    Buffalo, Dec 26, 2006
  4. alison xray!

    alison xray! Guest

    "Chris Fishwick" <> wrote in message

    > "alison xray!" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi .. I have been given a pc which is fine for what I need it to do

    except
    > > it is quite low on ram ( 128meg ) .
    > > I have a jetway v266b board and found loads of memory for this board on
    > > Crucial`s site. But it mentions not mixing eec . none eec or parity
    > > memory.
    > > I know I dont have much memory to start with (!) but I would still like
    > > use the memory I have when I add to it, so how do I find out what sort I
    > > have ?
    > > I can take it out , but then what do I look for on the memory stick?

    Or
    > > is there a program I should use to tell me ? ( in the same way I found

    out
    > > the name of my board? ) thanks

    > The memory Crucial recommends will be correct!

    I know it will be correct for the board , but will it work with my original
    memory?

    alison xray!, Dec 26, 2006
  5. alison xray!

    Smoker Guest

    > Hi .. I have been given a pc which is fine for what I need it to do except
    > it is quite low on ram ( 128meg ) .
    > I have a jetway v266b board and found loads of memory for this board on
    > Crucial`s site. But it mentions not mixing eec . none eec or parity
    > memory.
    > I know I dont have much memory to start with (!) but I would still like
    > use the memory I have when I add to it, so how do I find out what sort I
    > have ?
    > I can take it out , but then what do I look for on the memory stick? Or
    > is there a program I should use to tell me ? ( in the same way I found out
    > the name of my board? ) thanks

    There are free programs that will tell you. SiSoft Sandra is one of them,
    CPUid might also tell you what type of RAM you have. You can't mix ECC with
    non ECC. Most likely you have non ECC.

    Smoker, Dec 26, 2006
  6. alison xray!

    Shep© Guest

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:39:24 -0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
    Yang then "alison xray!" <> sent this :

    >Hi .. I have been given a pc which is fine for what I need it to do except
    >it is quite low on ram ( 128meg ) .
    > I have a jetway v266b board and found loads of memory for this board on
    >Crucial`s site. But it mentions not mixing eec . none eec or parity memory.
    > I know I dont have much memory to start with (!) but I would still like to
    >use the memory I have when I add to it, so how do I find out what sort I
    >have ?
    > I can take it out , but then what do I look for on the memory stick? Or
    >is there a program I should use to tell me ? ( in the same way I found out
    >the name of my board? ) thanks

    Get you local,"Yellow Pages" out(Not Yell) and look for a local PC
    shop that does cheap 2nd hand PCs.Take your old ram stick to
    them.Should be able to get an old Sdram 128 stick that will work for a
    tenner or less and you can always take it back.

    Example:I just got a small full old PC box with a 1.2 celeron and
    3X128 meg ram sticks,motherboard/powersupply all in the box and stuck
    a £15 quid 2nd hand 20 gig hard drive in it plus old keyboard/mouse
    from local shop for £40 and added el cheapo AGP graphics card off Ebay
    for a fiver inc P&P :)

    Next door neighbour wanted cheap box for Internet etc :)

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Dec 27, 2006