memory traces from commercial video cards

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by am_y, Sep 29, 2006.

  1. am_y

    am_y

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Hello.

    This is my first posting and I really hope someone can assist me in the right direction. It is about my first technical task. I realize that I am having a difficulty because my major is not s/w. However, I am willing to learn from this experience. I am welcoming any input or lead you might have for my pursuit.

    My task is to learn about DRAM and memory controllers for applications requiring high-speed or high bandwidth. What I am looking for is the `REAL` memory bus traces (a series of addresses and commands-read/write) or data stream from various application via DRAM, especially one from PC games and digital TVs, with high demands in computations. If any of you, game designer/developer, who might be able to assist me how I can acquire such data, it will be wonderful. Data from trial version of games (Doom3, Quake3, etc.) are also valuable. If you know of any company or organization, who provide the real traces with fees, the fund is available.

    I found that there are many game enthusiasts, who constantly benchmark / review new video cards for graphics quality and resolution. However, my focus is different. It is about data stream,. From my limited knowledge, it will be wonderful if I can literally dissect the video card and watch streams of data to/from RAM.

    If data is not accessible, then, if someone can walk me through for data acquisition by using right tools, I am willing to learn the method.

    I was recommended "opencores.org", however, the site is unavailable anymore. If there are other similar sites, please let me know.

    Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

    Am
    am_y, Sep 29, 2006