    to have both slots occupied and as it is at the moment am i not getting the
    full potential out of my ram.

    cheers
    PSitsMagic, Apr 2, 2005

  2. PSitsMagic

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "PSitsMagic" <> wrote in message
    news:_zC3e.14647$...
    >i have just bought a new PC and has 512mb ram, when i looked in the machine
    >it consists of 1 512 stick and an empty slot. Is it right that its is
    >better to have both slots occupied and as it is at the moment am i not
    >getting the full potential out of my ram.

    What gives you those silly ideas?
    Toolman Tim, Apr 2, 2005

  3. PSitsMagic

    Dr. Bill Guest

    PSitsMagic wrote:
    > i have just bought a new PC and has 512mb ram, when i looked in the
    > machine it consists of 1 512 stick and an empty slot.

    Buy another 512 MB ram "stick", so you get 1024 MB

    > Is it right that its is better to have both slots occupied and as it is at
    > the
    > moment am i not getting the full potential out of my ram.
    >
    > cheers

    Cheerio ol' chap!
    Dr. Bill, Apr 2, 2005
  4. PSitsMagic

    doS Guest

    You are getting full potential of the 512.

    doS, Apr 2, 2005
  5. PSitsMagic

    Ron Martell Guest

    "PSitsMagic" <> wrote:

    >i have just bought a new PC and has 512mb ram, when i looked in the machine
    >it consists of 1 512 stick and an empty slot. Is it right that its is better
    >to have both slots occupied and as it is at the moment am i not getting the
    >full potential out of my ram.
    >
    >cheers

    Not normally, no.

    As for adding another stick, adding more memory can noticeably improve
    performance only if the added memory results in reduced usage of the
    virtual memory paging file. Therefore if the paging file is not
    currently being used to any significant extent then adding more memory
    will not provide a significant improvement.

    Unfortunately there is no ready way of determing actual paging file
    usage provided with Windows XP - it does not have an equivalent to the
    'Memory Manager - Swap File In Use" reporting provided by the System
    Monitor utility in Windows 95/98/Me.

    There is a free utility that you can download and run which will
    provide this information for you. It was written by MVP Bill James and
    you can get if from
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
    http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

    If that utility shows actual page file usage of 50 mb or more on a
    regular basis then that is indicative of fairly significant paging
    file activity. Adding more RAM will reduce or even eliminate entirely
    this activity thereby improving performance.

    This apples regardless of how much or how little RAM is currently
    installed in the computer, at least up to the 4 gb RAM

    Good luck with your new machine.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Apr 2, 2005
  6. PSitsMagic

    Plato Guest

    PSitsMagic wrote:

    > i have just bought a new PC and has 512mb ram, when i looked in the machine
    > it consists of 1 512 stick and an empty slot. Is it right that its is better
    > to have both slots occupied and as it is at the moment am i not getting the
    > full potential out of my ram.

    Good choice getting a single stick.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 2, 2005
  7. PSitsMagic

    Yakis Guest

    Hi Ron,
    I downloaded the XP_PageFileMon.exe from dougknox.com website. In the Readme
    file, I do not quite understand the part Quote "Click Start, Run and enter
    GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Scripts,
    Shutdown. Browse to the location you extracted the EXE file to, and select
    it." unquote.
    How does one use this program?
    TIA for your answer.

    --
    Yakis Genghis

    Yakis, Apr 2, 2005
  8. PSitsMagic

    nos1eep Guest

    > Unfortunately there is no ready way of determing actual paging file
    > usage provided with Windows XP - it does not have an equivalent to the
    > 'Memory Manager - Swap File In Use" reporting provided by the System
    > Monitor utility in Windows 95/98/Me.
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    An MVP strikes again. How 'bout looking in Task Manager\Performance. It
    tells you the pf usage and the pf usage history.

    -nos1eep
    nos1eep, Apr 2, 2005
  9. PSitsMagic

    Ron Martell Guest

    "nos1eep" <notme@420,com> wrote:

    >An MVP strikes again. How 'bout looking in Task Manager\Performance. It
    >tells you the pf usage and the pf usage history.
    >
    >-nos1eep

    You have to know the definitions behind the reported values.

    Task Manager includes the unused portions of memory allocation
    requests (which are always mapped to locations in the page file) in
    its reported value for pf usage.

    For example on this computer at the present moment, with 768 mb of
    RAM, Task Manager reports PF Usage of 264 mb. The page file usage
    monitor, on the other hand, reports 30 mb.

    This means that I have 30 mb of active RAM content that has been moved
    to the page file (that is the relevant consideration in terms of
    assessing the potential benefit of addding more RAM) and 234 mb (264
    minus 30) of RAM has been requested but never actually used.

    Memory allocation requests are issued by application programs, device
    drivers, and windows components; and they all invariably ask for
    larger allocations than they actually use under normal circumstances.
    So Windows, by design, allocates locations in RAM only to those
    portions that are actually used, and allocates locations in the page
    file to the unused portions. Note that this mapping of the unused
    portions to the page file does not require any actual disk activity,
    just entries in the memory mapping tables maintained by the CPU.

    And if for some reason a previously requested but unused portion of a
    RAM allocation should now be required then the memory manage will
    instantaneously remap that portion to available locations in RAM. It
    may be necessary to move some other RAM content that is idle out to
    the page file in order to free up the required RAM.

    This mapping of unused allocation requests to the page file is one
    very good reason why people should never disable the page file in
    Windows XP, even if they have a vast amount of RAM.

    Hope this clarifies the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Apr 3, 2005
  10. PSitsMagic

    nos1eep Guest

    > You have to know the definitions behind the reported values.
    >
    > Task Manager includes the unused portions of memory allocation
    > requests (which are always mapped to locations in the page file) in
    > its reported value for pf usage.
    >
    > For example on this computer at the present moment, with 768 mb of
    > RAM, Task Manager reports PF Usage of 264 mb. The page file usage
    > monitor, on the other hand, reports 30 mb.
    >
    > This means that I have 30 mb of active RAM content that has been moved
    > to the page file (that is the relevant consideration in terms of
    > assessing the potential benefit of addding more RAM) and 234 mb (264
    > minus 30) of RAM has been requested but never actually used.
    >
    > Memory allocation requests are issued by application programs, device
    > drivers, and windows components; and they all invariably ask for
    > larger allocations than they actually use under normal circumstances.
    > So Windows, by design, allocates locations in RAM only to those
    > portions that are actually used, and allocates locations in the page
    > file to the unused portions. Note that this mapping of the unused
    > portions to the page file does not require any actual disk activity,
    > just entries in the memory mapping tables maintained by the CPU.
    >
    > And if for some reason a previously requested but unused portion of a
    > RAM allocation should now be required then the memory manage will
    > instantaneously remap that portion to available locations in RAM. It
    > may be necessary to move some other RAM content that is idle out to
    > the page file in order to free up the required RAM.
    >
    > This mapping of unused allocation requests to the page file is one
    > very good reason why people should never disable the page file in
    > Windows XP, even if they have a vast amount of RAM.
    >
    > Hope this clarifies the situation.

    So if the value in Task Manager PF usage exceeds the total amount of memory
    installed, you should buy another stick of RAM.

    -nos1eep
    nos1eep, Apr 3, 2005
  11. PSitsMagic

    Ron Martell Guest

    "nos1eep" <> wrote:

    >So if the value in Task Manager PF usage exceeds the total amount of memory
    >installed, you should buy another stick of RAM.
    >
    >-nos1eep

    The value for PF usage reported by Task Manager is totally,
    completely, absolutely and utterly useless for the purpose of
    assessing the potential benefit of adding more RAM.

    Ron Martell, Apr 3, 2005
  12. PSitsMagic

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > "nos1eep" <> wrote:
    >

    >>So if the value in Task Manager PF usage exceeds the total amount of
    >>memory
    >>installed, you should buy another stick of RAM.
    >>
    >>-nos1eep
    >>

    > The value for PF usage reported by Task Manager is totally,
    > completely, absolutely and utterly useless for the purpose of
    > assessing the potential benefit of adding more RAM.

    I thought you already said that? <g>
    Toolman Tim, Apr 3, 2005
  13. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I thought you already said that? <g>

    Ron works in MS's Dept of Redundancy Dept. :p
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 3, 2005
  14. PSitsMagic

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    > > I thought you already said that? <g>

    > Ron works in MS's Dept of Redundancy Dept. :p

    <vbg>!

    Yakis, Apr 3, 2005
  16. PSitsMagic

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Yakis" <> wrote:

    >Hi Ron,
    >I downloaded the XP_PageFileMon.exe from dougknox.com website. In the Readme
    >file, I do not quite understand the part Quote "Click Start, Run and enter
    >GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Scripts,
    >Shutdown. Browse to the location you extracted the EXE file to, and select
    >it." unquote.
    >How does one use this program?
    >TIA for your answer.

    Those instructions are for running the utility automatically at every
    shutdown, and saving the results in a log file. Handy for some
    people but not the way I usually use it.

    Just run the desktopshortcuthelper.vbs file that comes with the
    package and it will put a shortcut on your desktop so you can launch
    it manually any time you want to see what it going on. That is the
    way I use it. I actually put the shortcut into my "quick launch" bar
    because I am interested in the figures when I have a lot of stuff open
    on the machine and the desktop is pretty cluttered at those times so
    the quick launch bar is hand for me.

    Hope this is the information you were looking for.

    Good luck.

    Ron Martell, Apr 3, 2005
  17. PSitsMagic

    Yakis Guest

    Yes indeed, thank you very much, you are very kind. It is always very
    pleasant to get such a reply promptly.

    Yakis, Apr 3, 2005
  18. PSitsMagic

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 06:48:54 +0200, "Yakis" <> wrote:

    >Hi Ron,
    >I downloaded the XP_PageFileMon.exe from dougknox.com website. In the Readme
    >file, I do not quite understand the part Quote "Click Start, Run and enter
    >GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Scripts,
    >Shutdown. Browse to the location you extracted the EXE file to, and select
    >it." unquote.
    >How does one use this program?
    >TIA for your answer.

    Do the following;
    Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to Computer Configuration,
    Windows Settings, Scripts, Shutdown. Browse to the location you extracted the
    EXE file to, and select it.

    Hope that helps.

    Can someone tell me what to do when I see the message "Press enter to continue"?

    >--
    >Yakis Genghis

    Barry
    Barry OGrady, Apr 8, 2005