"Memory Stick"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought it
    was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Craig Sutton Guest

    news:geui0l$j7k$...
    > Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought
    > it
    > was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.

    I call em USB sticks or USB Disks
    Craig Sutton, Nov 6, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought it
    > was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.

    I've heard it from some people who wouldn't know any better (they
    probably don't even know what different types of memory card are
    called), but I don't know where they got it from in the first place.

    I'm endeavouring to correct them when I notice.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Nov 6, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought it
    > was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.

    Pretty much yeah,

    But when you have a name so un-original and manage to keep your items a
    niche product like betamax and dat then you cant expect to have brand
    recognition.
    Richard, Nov 6, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Tony in Oz Guest

    > Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought
    > it
    > was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.

    Same thing happened to Jandals.
    Tony in Oz, Nov 6, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought
    >> it
    >> was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.

    > Same thing happened to Jandals.

    And zip, aspirin, heroin.... the list is huge.
    EMB, Nov 6, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 01:07:56 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought it
    >> was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.

    >Pretty much yeah,
    >
    >But when you have a name so un-original and manage to keep your items a
    >niche product like betamax and dat then you cant expect to have brand
    >recognition.

    I hear "memory stick" quite a bit.

    Some people call their PC box a "modem". Where they hell did they get that from?
    Cima, Nov 6, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Cima wrote:
    > Some people call their PC box a "modem". Where they hell did they get that from?

    No idea - i guess it's because (at least for most on dial-up) it's the
    thing that plugs into the phone line.
    EMB, Nov 6, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:02:40 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Cima wrote:
    >> Some people call their PC box a "modem". Where they hell did they get that from?

    >No idea - i guess it's because (at least for most on dial-up) it's the
    >thing that plugs into the phone line.

    It gets confusing when they ring and say "my modem isn't working"!
    "Internal, external, dailup or broadband?" followed by silence :)
    Cima, Nov 6, 2008
  10. EMB <> wrote:

    > Cima wrote:
    > > Some people call their PC box a "modem". Where they hell did they get
    > > that from?

    > No idea - i guess it's because (at least for most on dial-up) it's the
    > thing that plugs into the phone line.

    And they think their display is the computer, because that's where they
    see everything happening.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 6, 2008
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > > Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought
    > > it was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.

    > Same thing happened to Jandals.

    Not really.

    Sony's Memory Stick is a card use with their cameras and some other devices.
    It's more similar to the small memory cards for other cameras rather than
    USB Flash drives (although what's inside is basically just one of those
    memory cards anyway).

    A lot of people I know call the USB Flash drives "memory sticks" as well ...
    including some well-known shops. It probably won't help now that Telescum
    are calling their USB mobile broadband device a "stick" as well.

    There are various names for these devices, some proper names and some
    mislead names:
    - Flash drives
    - keyring drives
    - thumb drives
    - USB sticks
    - etc.
    Your Name, Nov 6, 2008
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:49134d60$...
    > Cima wrote:
    > > Some people call their PC box a "modem". Where they hell did they get

    that from?

    > No idea - i guess it's because (at least for most on dial-up) it's the
    > thing that plugs into the phone line.

    Depends on how far back you go. Neither my 10 year-old Mac nor this s-l-o-w
    Windows computer have an in-built dial-up modem. They both have external
    ones. New Macs no longer have in-built dial-up modems either. :)

    Some people tend to call the screen the "computer" and then have to find
    something else to call the "box". This got even more confused with the
    release of the iMac and other all-in-one desktop machines.
    Your Name, Nov 6, 2008
  13. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > ... "pen drive" ...

    Now _there_'s a suitably distinctive term that's worth using.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008
  14. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > And their computer is called their "hard drive", or sometimes their "CPU".

    For the box without keyboard, monitor or mouse, the IBM term was "system
    unit".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008
  15. In message <>, Cima wrote:

    > I hear "memory stick" quite a bit.

    Also I see SO-DIMMs regularly referred to as "sticks" of RAM.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >

    > > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > >> Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I thought
    > >> it
    > >> was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary memory-card format.

    > > I call em USB sticks or USB Disks

    > Or "USB drives". I picked a couple up from DSE the other day. $7 for a
    > 2Gb "pen drive", about the size of a cigarette lighter. Quite a good
    > price - and fast too. I have a laptop that I've disabled the HDD in and it
    > boots up quite fast from the USB drive.

    Hi Allistar

    What OS you got on the stick ? I intend to do the same with a laptop I
    have. There are lots Linux variants for just this purpose and have been
    looking at some. I am really keen to chuck windows on one and boot it
    completely from usb either a memory stick or portable HDD but prob go
    for the stick.

    Any advice, warnings or any pitfalls to avoid with the OS you use ?

    TIA

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Nov 6, 2008
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    wrote:

    > > ... "pen drive" ...

    > Now _there_'s a suitably distinctive term that's worth using.

    It's even more incorrect than "Memory Stick" since there is no actual "pen"
    involved. :)

    Try "USB enabled Flash RAM device". ;-)
    Your Name, Nov 6, 2008
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Cima" typed:
    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 01:07:56 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Are people using the term "memory stick" to apply to USB keys? I
    >>> thought it was a trademarked term for Sony's proprietary
    >>> memory-card format.

    >> Pretty much yeah,
    >>
    >> But when you have a name so un-original and manage to keep your
    >> items a niche product like betamax and dat then you cant expect to
    >> have brand recognition.

    > I hear "memory stick" quite a bit.

    Same. I usually call them 'USB sticks'. I refuse to call them 'drives'.

    > Some people call their PC box a "modem". Where they hell did they get
    > that from?

    Even more call it a "CPU" which I find equally annoying.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 6, 2008