Memory Stick Problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob & Nan, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. Bob & Nan

    Bob & Nan Guest

    I am having problems with the 32meg Memory Sticks that I use in my CyberShot
    camera. I have been downloading my pictures to my laptop using a Dazzle
    Memory Stick reader (USB) and sometimes a 4 in 1 Multi Card Adapter (fits in
    the laptop PCI slot). I have been using these Memory Stick readers for
    about 2 years and all of a sudden, about three months ago, they both started
    apparently wiping out the Memory Sticks I was using. I get an error code of
    C:13:01, which my camera manual says indicates an unformatted or damaged
    Memory Stick. Once I get this error message, I can't use the Memory Stick
    in the camera or laptop. I have been through 4 Memory Sticks in the past
    three months. I have a HP 245 Photosmart printer hooked up to my desktop at
    home. It has slots for all memory media. I put one of the "bad" Memory
    Sticks in it this weekend and lo and behold, it can read the files. Tried
    all of the supposedly bad Memory Sticks and can read all of the files and
    delete them. Put the Memory Sticks back in the camera and they work fine.
    Put them back into the laptop memory adapters and come up with the same
    problem, locking out the Memory Stick again. In other words, I get the
    error when using the laptop memory adapters and can clear the problem with
    the desktop/HP245 combination. This of course makes my portable photo
    handling capability non functional. Do I have a bad Dazzle, 4 in 1 Multi
    Card Adapter, something wrong with my laptop. Any ideas would be
    appreciated.

    Bob & Nan, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Thoughts from an unknowing individual..............but was something done to
    the laptop recently?
    Uploaded new files to the antivirus program or firewall program?
    Did you try deleting or removing any devices/programs/whatever for the
    reader and then reloading it?
    Do you think you might have a virus on the laptop or some nasty spyware?
    :-(

    Are you only having the problem with the laptop and the reader that fits in
    the pcmcia slot? Or also with the usb reader too?
    What OS is on the laptop?
    Did you plug the camera directly into the laptop? Of course installing the
    necessary program first! <g>

    desktop is fine?

    curious since I also have a CyberShot camera, a couple of sticks and a USB
    multireader.
    --

    later,
    dave

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Bob & Nan

    Bob & Nan Guest

    Thanks for the response. Actually, I have two identical laptops and the
    problem appears with both laptops when using either the Dazzle or 4 in 1
    card adapter. And as I said, both used to work fine. I have installed no
    new software on either. I don't use the one laptop on the Internet so can
    eliminate virus and spyware. Again, the problem is with both the PCI card
    and USB Dazzle reader. Using Windows XP on all the computers.When
    connecting the camera directly to the computers it all works fine.

    Bob & Nan, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Bob & Nan

    Bob & Nan, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Bob & Nan

    Bob & Nan Guest

    Thanks for the response. Actually, I have two identical laptops and the
    problem appears with both laptops when using either the Dazzle or 4 in 1
    card adapter. And as I said, both used to work fine. I have installed no
    new software on either. I don't use the one laptop on the Internet so can
    eliminate virus and spyware. Again, the problem is with both the PICK card

    Bob & Nan, Mar 28, 2005