    some of the files off the pc to the mem stick then delete them.
    Its a long story as I am also buying another laptop for Xmas so all I want
    to know is how do I transfer files from the pc to the mem stick.

    brenda, Dec 10, 2007

  2. brenda

    Rôgêr Guest

    brenda wrote:
    > My computer is out of memory so I am unable to download an anti virus.
    > Yes I know the easiest way is to delete files but I would rather transfer
    > some of the files off the pc to the mem stick then delete them.
    > Its a long story as I am also buying another laptop for Xmas so all I want
    > to know is how do I transfer files from the pc to the mem stick.

    Right click the Start button, choose "Explore". You should see the
    drives listed, if not, open up My Computer. You should now see in the
    left pane all the drives including the flash drive. Now surf to the
    files in the right pane. Choose the files you want to transfer and drag
    and drop them to the flash drive.

    Rôgêr, Dec 10, 2007

  3. brenda

    Gordon Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    > My computer is out of memory

    No it's not - it's out of DISK SPACE......memory disappears when you turn
    your machine off, disk space does not.

    > so I am unable to download an anti virus.

    The current size of AVG free is TWENTYFIVE MB! if you don't have that space
    on any of your HDDs, then it's time either to do some SERIOUS housekeeping,
    (when for example, did you lay clear out your temp and Temp Internet files?)
    or to get a larger HDD, or to archive onto DVD or an external HDD

    Gordon, Dec 10, 2007
  4. brenda

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:50:09 GMT, "brenda" <>
    wrote:

    >My computer is out of memory so I am unable to download an anti virus.

    You mean out of hard drive space.

    And go back and read the answers to your 'previous post' - that you've
    asked now 4 times.

    From: "brenda" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Virus Virus
    Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:40:32 GMT

    From: "brenda" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Virus download
    Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:42:47 GMT

    From: "brenda" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Anti virus fro another machine
    Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:21:38 GMT

    Evan Platt, Dec 10, 2007
  5. brenda

    Gordon Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    > <>

    Hadn't noticed that..... ;-)

    Gordon, Dec 10, 2007
  6. brenda

    brenda Guest

    I have now bought a 80gb external hard drive, the laptop has a 40gb internal
    hard drive so I assume I have 120gb in total.
    Can I now transfer everything on the internal to the external.

    brenda, Dec 11, 2007
  7. brenda

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:26:29 GMT, "brenda" <>
    wrote:

    >I have now bought a 80gb external hard drive, the laptop has a 40gb internal
    >hard drive so I assume I have 120gb in total.

    Counting only the usable space, not really, but that's another story.

    >Can I now transfer everything on the internal to the external.

    Yes.

    Evan Platt, Dec 11, 2007
  8. brenda

    brenda Guest

    How do I transfer all the information from the hard drive to the external,
    will I still be able to use the internal drive.

    brenda, Dec 11, 2007
  9. brenda

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:31:39 GMT, "brenda" <>
    wrote:

    >How do I transfer all the information from the hard drive to the external,
    >will I still be able to use the internal drive.

    Do you simply want to 'copy'?

    Open two copies of explorer. One for the internal drive, one for the
    external drive. Select All, Copy. Go to external drive explorer.
    Paste. This won't copy parts of Windows or any program that's open.
    But as long as you've closed out of any program you want to copy, it
    will copy the data.

    If, however you want to make a image of the drive:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free drive image software&btnG=Google Search

    This will make an exact copy of the drive. However if it's a USB
    drive, you likely won't be able to boot from it.

    Evan Platt, Dec 11, 2007
  10. brenda

    ded Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    > How do I transfer all the information from the hard drive to the external,
    > will I still be able to use the internal drive.

    Have you actually unwrapped the packaging that the new external
    HDD came bundled in, if you do, you may find some instructions
    and software.
    You have to actually connect the HDD to the laptop, assumed it is
    USB and/or firewire.
    You will have to format the new external HDD before you can use it.
    There will be instructions supplied with the new HDD or visit their
    site and click the support and/or download links.
    You will probably find that the supplied software is basic back-up,
    You install it on the laptop, it will then be in the programs folder,
    you use that software to transfer/back up data to the external drive.
    The originals stay on the laptop, you can delete them so as to free
    up space etc.
    I doubt very much you are as yet considering cloning/imaging,
    though that is the ideal use of an external HDD.
    For now, connect the new HDD
    Follow instructions to format (The supplied software may do that)
    In Explorer it will then be listed as an additional drive and assigned
    a drive letter.
    Have a practice copying data across, backing up folders etc.
    Have you got media files (MP3's, MPEGs etc) clogging up the laptop
    then copy them across, they still remain on the laptop until you
    chose to delete them from the C drive.
    Once you have it connected and configured and have got the hang
    of backing up data, if you then want to create a partition and create
    an image for restore purposes, post back and you'll get all the info
    you require.

    ded, Dec 11, 2007