    it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
    it as a back up OS?
    http://www.oss.org.uk

    soolie, Mar 14, 2009

  2. soolie

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 03:26:28 +0000, soolie wrote:

    > Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
    > it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry it
    > as a back up OS?

    Sure, go ahead.

    Dan C, Mar 14, 2009

  3. soolie

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
    >it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them

    No. You can't install / boot XP from a memory stick. Well - yes, under
    a rare set of circumstances ( if the computer can boot from the
    memory stick and IF the hardware matches, yes). You can't simply take
    a hard drive (or memory stick) from one computer and put it in another
    and expect XP to boot. Hardware differences.

    >or just carry it as a back up OS?

    As a backup ? Umm.. Sure in the sense that you can use it to reinstall
    XP. But that's it.

    Evan Platt, Mar 14, 2009
  4. soolie

    83LowRider Guest

    83LowRider, Mar 14, 2009
  5. soolie

    soolie Guest

    On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 01:53:16 -0400, "83LowRider"
    <> wrote:

    >"soolie" <> wrote in message
    >> Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
    >> it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
    >> it as a back up OS?
    >> http://www.oss.org.uk

    >I don't know if this would interest you or not, but..
    >http://www.pendrivelinux.com/pendrivelinux-2008-install-from-windows/

    That appears to be saying it could be done.

    soolie, Mar 14, 2009
  6. soolie

    soolie Guest

    On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:27:50 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 03:26:28 +0000, soolie <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
    >>it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them

    >No. You can't install / boot XP from a memory stick. Well - yes, under
    >a rare set of circumstances ( if the computer can boot from the
    >memory stick and IF the hardware matches, yes). You can't simply take
    >a hard drive (or memory stick) from one computer and put it in another
    >and expect XP to boot. Hardware differences.
    >
    >>or just carry it as a back up OS?

    >As a backup ? Umm.. Sure in the sense that you can use it to reinstall
    >XP. But that's it.

    Well I asked the question because I didn't know the answer but now I
    do not understand why it cannot be done? I also have an external HD so
    could I load my OS onto that and then plug that into another computer
    and use it?

    soolie, Mar 14, 2009
  7. soolie

    soolie Guest

    On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 06:53:24 -0500, philo <> wrote:

    >soolie wrote:
    >> Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
    >> it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
    >> it as a back up OS?
    >> http://www.oss.org.uk

    >Unless severely hacked...
    >XP cannot run from a USB memory stick...
    >and even if you did manage to hack it...
    >it would not run on different hardware.
    >
    >By all means give the Linux boot thumb drive a try

    Linux bends my brain out of shape.

    soolie, Mar 14, 2009
  8. soolie

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:38:06 +0000, soolie <>
    wrote:

    >Well I asked the question because I didn't know the answer but now I
    >do not understand why it cannot be done? I also have an external HD so
    >could I load my OS onto that and then plug that into another computer
    >and use it?

    No.

    Windows, when it installs, installs to that specific computer, loading
    drivers and such for THAT computer. You couldn't take the hard drive
    out of one computer, put it in another, and expect Windows to boot
    properly. It MAY, but that's the exception, not the rule.

    Evan Platt, Mar 14, 2009
  9. soolie wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 06:53:24 -0500, philo <> wrote:
    >
    >> soolie wrote:
    >>> Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
    >>> it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
    >>> it as a back up OS?
    >>> http://www.oss.org.uk

    >> Unless severely hacked...
    >> XP cannot run from a USB memory stick...
    >> and even if you did manage to hack it...
    >> it would not run on different hardware.
    >>
    >> By all means give the Linux boot thumb drive a try

    > Linux bends my brain out of shape.

    Pft. Linux is so easy even I use it.

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 14, 2009
  10. soolie

    soolie Guest

    On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:34:03 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:38:06 +0000, soolie <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Well I asked the question because I didn't know the answer but now I
    >>do not understand why it cannot be done? I also have an external HD so
    >>could I load my OS onto that and then plug that into another computer
    >>and use it?

    >No.
    >
    >Windows, when it installs, installs to that specific computer, loading
    >drivers and such for THAT computer. You couldn't take the hard drive
    >out of one computer, put it in another, and expect Windows to boot
    >properly. It MAY, but that's the exception, not the rule.

    Thanks for that information. I learn something new everytime I post
    here. Maybe one day I will understand computers:-(

    soolie, Mar 15, 2009