    This is the repaired machine with a new MB and the BIOS version is roughly a
    year old and a relatively late version but not the latest one.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Aug 25, 2008

  2. You will likely need to manually set the memory voltage in the bios. Most
    fast 1066Mhz ram is designed to run at a higher voltage than the auto of the
    motherboard defaults to. Also there is an issue on many motherboards not
    running smoothly with all memory slots on the board filled. The usual
    solution to this problem is to either manually set the voltage (sometimes it
    needs to bumped higher than default) or slow the memory speed down till it
    is stable. Here is the website for Dominator ram
    http://www.corsair.com/products/dominator.aspx . I am not sure which model
    you purchased but it looks like it is designed to run at 2.2V where I
    believe DDR2 ram is normally 1.8V so setting the voltage may fix your
    problem. Please check the appropriate product sheet from the webpage to find
    the correct voltage for your ram.

    HTH

    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Aug 25, 2008

  3. Some boards simply won't support 4 sticks. you can try upping the voltage to
    the RAM a bit. That helps sometimes. I have another board that will do 6 GB
    (2x2 + 2x1), but won't support 8 GB.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2008
  4. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    I can't recall your mobo model/make so I am just guessing.
    If your uP is AMD, the 1066's only work at that speed with Quad-Core Phenoms.
    Dual Core AMD's fastest memories are DDR2 800 MHz!
    There is also a limitation regarding how many 1066 sticks you can place
    simultaneously.
    My motherboard has 4 slots with 16GB max capacity.
    However, if I want to use 1066 memory, only 2 sticks (=2 slots) can be used
    (one per channel).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 25, 2008
  5. Thanks to all!

    After the last discussion on this issue, I was left with the impression that
    filling all four slots would be O.K. as long as the memory wasn't filled to
    capacity.

    The board (M2N32-SLI Delux) has a BIOS setting for 1066 so I do expect it to
    work in the proper configuration - it was running in 800 when I first
    inserted the new memory, and it didn't boot even then.

    But there is something fishy going on - something has kicked the CPU clock
    to run in 3750 Mhz (the default is 2800! (Athlon 64 FX-62)) Funny thing,
    though, the temperatures have been absolutely normal all afternoon, even at
    that speed. Beyond this, I ran Sandra and some of the memory value settings
    seem extremely slow and completely wrong. Not that I can remember what
    everything was, I didn't run Sandra for at least a year. The Asus manual
    says the board supports 8GB, but Sandra curiously reports it as supporting
    16GB?

    Now I have reset the BIOS and am laboriously going over everything in there
    to see if I can come up with something. I guess from what you are all
    saying, that I must hurry down there and have them swap the sticks for 2GB's
    or maybe even stay with 800's.

    Anybody know if the phenom takes DDR3 - not that I really want to change the
    processor, of course, but this experience may have speeded up my desire for
    'something else' as well.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 25, 2008
  6. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Bot
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_15331_15332^15334,00.htm
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_15331_15332^15333,00.html
    mention only DDR2 support, no word on DDR3.
    On some web sites you will find predictions (non-Nostradamus based) that the
    yet unborn 45nm Phenoms will support DDR3.
    So, for the time being, Phenom = DDR2.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 25, 2008
  7. If you really have a M2N32-SLI Deluxe, then according to
    ASUSTEK Computer, Inc your board does not support DDR2-1066.
    The max it supports is DDR2-800.

    Only AM2+ boards support DDR2-1066 when using Phenom CPUs.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 25, 2008
  8. This confirms my suspicion - these Phenoms, they are starting to look good
    though!

    Tony. . .

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_15331_15332^15334,00.html

    Tony Sperling, Aug 25, 2008
  9. After careful study of the published matterial, I can only confirm this.
    They do, however, list the board as supporting a Max of 2GB in each slot for
    a full 8GB - in the Qualified Vendors List there is quriously only one 2GB
    supplier with a name to it: "ELPIDA" - which I have never heard of, and
    quite likely will never come to lay my eyes on. I also doubt they are any
    better than Corsairs, or whatever.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 25, 2008
  10. I agree, the Phenoms look promising. But I'm really hoping for a new Opteron
    based server....

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2008
  11. First, thanks to all!

    I made them take back the Dominators and bought a set of 4GB Kingston Low
    Latency 800Mhz HyperX instead - four sticks - works fine. Machine seems to
    boot smoother - Sandra runs it's tests without the 'Percentage Widget'
    making any pauses, I've never seen that before.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 29, 2008
  12. I managed to dig out the data-sheet for my new memory and while I have read
    stuff like this before, this is probably the first time I've actually
    studied what it was saying. I want to find the optimum voltage and this
    seems to be saying that if I set it to 1,8v it will pick a higher Latency,
    and if I set it to 2,3 (for which it has been tested) it should
    automatically switch itself to the lower Latency.

    The sticks ARE labeled as utra low-latency memory!

    ******** <snip>
    Kingston's KHX6400D2ULK2/2G is a kit of two ultra low-latency 128M x 64-bit
    1GB (1024MB)

    DDR2-800 CL3 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory modules, based on sixteen 64M x
    8-bit

    DDR2 FBGA components per module. Total kit capacity is 2GB (2048MB). Each
    module pair has

    been tested to run at DDR2 800MHz at low latency timing of 3-3-3-10 at
    2.3-2.35V. The SPD is

    programmed to JEDEC standard latency 800Mhz timing of 5-5-5-15 at 1.8V. Each
    240-pin DIMM

    uses gold contact fingers and requires +1.8V. The electrical and mechanical
    specifications are as

    follows:

    Timing Reference: 800MHz 5-5-5-15 at +1.8V / 800MHz 3-3-3-10 at +2.3-2.35V

    <snip>

    I've initially set it 1,9 since the value isn't on the label and I was
    guessing at something between 1,8 - 2,1. It is absolutely stable at the
    moment, but this seems to suggest that I can safely wring a bit more
    performance out of it?

    The temperatures are very nice, the CPU is typically 7 - 3 degr. C colder
    than the MB at idle or under low load, so I'm not really concerned - just
    want to check that I am not missinterpreting anything here.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Sep 3, 2008