    400/333/266 Memory modules. I see the same specs on some modules with PC3200
    added to the description. Will the memory still work? Thanks.
    William
    William, Sep 28, 2008

  2. William

    Paul Guest

    William wrote:
    > I am having memory problems. Some times my computer will boot and some
    > times it won't. Is there a difference in DDR and DDR1? My board supports DDR
    > 400/333/266 Memory modules. I see the same specs on some modules with PC3200
    > added to the description. Will the memory still work? Thanks.
    > William

    Memory types (ignores RDRAM)

    EDO/FPM - uses no clock, performance measured in nanoseconds, i.e. 70ns RAM
    SDRAM - uses a clock, PC133 clocked at 133MHz, 133*8 = 1064MB/sec
    DDR - uses a clock, DDR266 clocked at 133MHz, 266*8 = PC2100 or 2128MB/sec
    DDR2 - uses a clock, DDR2-533 clocked at 266MHz, 533*8 = PC2-4300 or 4264MB/sec
    DDR3 - uses a clock, DDR3-1066 clocked at 533Mhz, 1066*8 = PC3-8500 or 8528MB/sec

    In each of the DDR types, the DDR stands for "double data rate". Two
    transfers are done per clock cycle. The "DDR266" description, says
    how many million times per second, that a transfer is done on the
    memory interface. There are 8 bytes on the module (module is 64 bits
    wide), and thus the arithmetic on the right, to work out the
    megabytes transferred per second. The PCxxxx convention, is
    a shorthand for the theoretical bandwidth offered.

    Faster memory can be used for slower applications. A PC3200 stick
    operates at DDR400, but is also comfortable operating at DDR333,
    DDR266, or DDR200. So yes, a PC3200 stick could cover your
    DDR needs.

    The same applies to the other memory. I believe some of the fastest
    DDR3 may have some restrictions on very slow operation.

    Since you made no mention of the brand and model number of computer,
    or the brand and model number of motherboard, it is hard to offer
    specific advice.

    You can test memory with memtest86+ from memtest.org . There
    are versions that can be loaded on a floppy, or burned to a
    CD.

    You can also use Prime95 from mersenne.org, to test the computer
    while you're booted in Windows. The test is called the
    "Torture Test", and you don't need to "join gimps" to
    use it.

    The only part of the memory that cannot be tested, is the
    "BIOS reserved" sections, which are relatively small areas.
    You'd need a real memory tester machine (factory type), to
    test every last byte of the memory.

    Chances are, there is more to your problem than just a memory
    problem. You need to do things like visual inspection, as
    well as using the above mentioned test programs, to get a better
    idea what is broken. Sometimes bad capacitors on a motherboard,
    can affect stability.

    http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/kt7/image004.png

    If the computer doesn't emit any beeps, when it fails
    to POST, that could mean the processor had a problem
    getting started. And any number of problems on the
    motherboard, could cause that. So rather than needing
    new memory, if could be a motherboard related issue.
    Bad capacitors is just one example.

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 28, 2008

  3. William

    William Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > use it.
    >
    > The only part of the memory that cannot be tested, is the
    > "BIOS reserved" sections, which are relatively small areas.
    > You'd need a real memory tester machine (factory type), to
    > test every last byte of the memory.
    >
    > Chances are, there is more to your problem than just a memory
    > problem. You need to do things like visual inspection, as
    > well as using the above mentioned test programs, to get a better
    > idea what is broken. Sometimes bad capacitors on a motherboard,
    > can affect stability.
    >
    > http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/kt7/image004.png
    >
    > If the computer doesn't emit any beeps, when it fails
    > to POST, that could mean the processor had a problem
    > getting started. And any number of problems on the
    > motherboard, could cause that. So rather than needing
    > new memory, if could be a motherboard related issue.

    I did the memory test with memtest86+ and it showed some bad memory. I
    took out the power supply and there was a lot of dust inside and some of the
    parts seemed stuck together so I ordered and put in a new power supply and
    was able to reinstall winXP on the primary drive. Everything seemed to work
    fine so I hooked up my secondary hard drive and that is when everything
    messed up. I unpluged the secondary hard drive and the computer starts
    booting into windows and then a screen comes up saying windows is recovering
    from a fault. It gives me the option to boot normally, boot into safe mode
    and etc. I've tried all options seperately and the screen flashes and the
    system just keeps on rebooting. Something else funny is the only way I can
    get the machine to try to boot into windows at all is if I start from a cold
    boot. I am thinking it might be a capacitor or the board is not making a
    good ground. It's a new board but I guess some components could still be
    bad. The only reason I am fooling with it at all is the cpu is a athlon A
    socket and it the new motherboard I just bought has an A socket.
    Unforturnately the A socket mother board is a dieing breed. Thanks for all
    the help and if you can think of anything else I will try it.
    William

    William, Oct 1, 2008
  4. William

    Paul Guest

    William wrote:
> [...]

    > messed up. I unpluged the secondary hard drive and the computer starts
    > booting into windows and then a screen comes up saying windows is recovering
    > from a fault. It gives me the option to boot normally, boot into safe mode
    > and etc. I've tried all options seperately and the screen flashes and the
    > system just keeps on rebooting. Something else funny is the only way I can
    > get the machine to try to boot into windows at all is if I start from a cold
    > boot. I am thinking it might be a capacitor or the board is not making a
    > good ground. It's a new board but I guess some components could still be
    > bad. The only reason I am fooling with it at all is the cpu is a athlon A
    > socket and it the new motherboard I just bought has an A socket.
    > Unforturnately the A socket mother board is a dieing breed. Thanks for all
    > the help and if you can think of anything else I will try it.

    Put the old power supply back in the computer.

    You didn't say what motherboard you were using. My A7N8X-E Deluxe, draws
    processor power from +5V. So if I want to buy a new power supply for
    that machine, I need to consider the +5V rating. With the video card
    present in the machine, I would need a supply with a 5V @ 25A rating.
    Many new supplies are weaker on +5V and stronger on +12V.

    Some S462 (socket A) boards, had switched to using +12V to operate
    the Vcore regulator for the processor. If the motherboard has the
    square connector (ATX12V 2x2) with two yellow wires and two black
    wires, then at least that 70W load is no longer coming from +5V.
    In the case of a motherboard like that, it is possible most modern
    power supplies will work well with it.

    For the S462 boards that don't have the 2x2 square connector,
    then you'd want to shop more carefully. Enermax made a couple
    of good ones, and I cannot find the other one right now. The
    way this works, is the individual rails have good current ratings,
    but all rails cannot be heavily loaded at the same time. (The
    total power spec of 350W tells you that.) But whether a S462
    board loads only the 5V rail, or a P4 board loads the 12V rail
    and one other, this supply design concept is good for both.
    The main limitation, is when you try to exceed the 350W number.
    (Which is why I was looking for the other model, like a 465 or
    something.)

    +3.3V @ 32A, +5V @ 32A, +12V @ 26A, -5V @ 1A, -12V @ 1A, +5VSB @ 2.2A 350W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103455

    The only reason I mention it, is it sounds like the supply is about
    to blow on my computer :-( I'm getting some strange noises, so it is time
    to stop using it, at least for the moment.

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 1, 2008
  5. William

    William Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:gc0m26$tst$...
> [...]

    > way this works, is the individual rails have good current ratings,
    > but all rails cannot be heavily loaded at the same time. (The
    > total power spec of 350W tells you that.) But whether a S462
    > board loads only the 5V rail, or a P4 board loads the 12V rail
    > and one other, this supply design concept is good for both.
    > The main limitation, is when you try to exceed the 350W number.
    > (Which is why I was looking for the other model, like a 465 or
    > something.)
    >
    > +3.3V @ 32A, +5V @ 32A, +12V @ 26A, -5V @ 1A, -12V @ 1A, +5VSB @ 2.2A
    > 350W
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103455
    >
    > The only reason I mention it, is it sounds like the supply is about
    > to blow on my computer :-( I'm getting some strange noises, so it is time
    > to stop using it, at least for the moment.

    Paul
    This relates back to my other post about bios checksum error. I got a new
    mother board PC Chips M848A. Had memory problem. Was using original cpu,
    power supply and video card. Got a new power supply and after installation
    that's when I was able to use the winXP cd to reinstall. Windows came up and
    everything was back to normal so I pushed my luck and tried to hook up my
    second hard drive. Everything screwed up. I will have to remove the power
    supply to be able to see the specs. I will post them so you can take a look.
    You might be on the right track about new power supply not having enough
    power. Could have been the problem with the old one also. Thanks for your
    help.

    William
    William, Oct 4, 2008