    with paired RAM means ditching the original pair.

    Thanks,

    Marful
    marful, Feb 12, 2006

  2. marful

    Ron Martell Guest

    "marful" <> wrote:

    >Is it generally better to install paired memory rather than a single stick
    >of the equivalent?
    >
    >e.g 2 x 512Mb as opposed to 1 x 1Gb.
    >
    >If so why - I'm only thinking that to upgrade from one stick with a mobo
    >with two DIMM slots means you can keep the original RAM, wheras to upgrade
    >with paired RAM means ditching the original pair.
    >
    >Thanks,

    Many newer motherboards have "dual channel" capability which means
    they do get slightly faster memory access if the modules are paired.
    However this capability is not likely to be found on a motherboard
    with only 2 DIMM slots. Most motherboards with dual channel
    capability have at least 4 slots, and the pairs are different colors
    so as to indicate which slots are used to enable dual channel
    operation.

    In your situation I would expect that performance would be the same
    with a single 1 gb module versus 2 512 mb modules, provided the
    motherboard actually supports 1 gb modules.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Feb 12, 2006

  3. marful

    Budweiser Guest

    "marful" <> wrote in message
    > Is it generally better to install paired memory rather than a single
    > stick
    > of the equivalent?
    >
    > e.g 2 x 512Mb as opposed to 1 x 1Gb.
    >
    > If so why - I'm only thinking that to upgrade from one stick with a
    > mobo
    > with two DIMM slots means you can keep the original RAM, wheras to
    > upgrade
    > with paired RAM means ditching the original pair.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Marful

    All depends om your MOBO --which is?
    Budweiser, Feb 12, 2006
  4. marful

    marful Guest

    A very old MSI MS-6156.

    marful, Feb 12, 2006
  5. marful

    Budweiser Guest

    "marful" <> wrote in message
    >A very old MSI MS-6156.
    >
    > "Budweiser" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "marful" <> wrote in message
    >> > Is it generally better to install paired memory rather than a
    >> > single
    >> > stick
    >> > of the equivalent?
    >> >
    >> > e.g 2 x 512Mb as opposed to 1 x 1Gb.
    >> >
    >> > If so why - I'm only thinking that to upgrade from one stick with a
    >> > mobo
    >> > with two DIMM slots means you can keep the original RAM, wheras to
    >> > upgrade
    >> > with paired RAM means ditching the original pair.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Marful
    >> >

    >> All depends om your MOBO --which is?

    From what i can see as its an old board
    max ram is 512mb

    time to swap it out unless someone else has a better idea

    spec here
    http://www.memoryx.net/miinmsme14.html
    Budweiser, Feb 12, 2006