Memory Question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Keeker, Dec 19, 2006.

  1. Keeker

    Keeker Guest

    I have a question about memory. When i bought this e-machines computer, the
    box, the labels on the computer, and even the sales person in walmart said
    that it has 512 mb ram. but when i start up the computer i find out that it
    only has something like 384 mb ram available and 128 mb SHARED
    MEMORY....what is shared memory, and is there a way to not have it so i can
    play my games, which require 512 mb ram??

    hope this makes sense

    keeker

    It has removed 36 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0660-0, 12/19/2006
    Tested on: 12/19/2006 1:57:42 PM

    Keeker, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Keeker

    Pen Guest

    Keeker wrote:
    > I have a question about memory. When i bought this e-machines computer, the
    > box, the labels on the computer, and even the sales person in walmart said
    > that it has 512 mb ram. but when i start up the computer i find out that it
    > only has something like 384 mb ram available and 128 mb SHARED
    > MEMORY....what is shared memory, and is there a way to not have it so i can
    > play my games, which require 512 mb ram??
    >

    > hope this makes sense
    >

    > keeker

    The short answer is NO. Shared memory is used by the video subsystem,
    so unless you're willing to buy a video card for the machine or buy more
    memory
    there's nothing you can do.

    Pen, Dec 19, 2006

  3. Keeker

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Keeker" <> wrote in message
    >I have a question about memory. When i bought this e-machines computer,
    >the box, the labels on the computer, and even the sales person in walmart
    >said that it has 512 mb ram. but when i start up the computer i find out
    >that it only has something like 384 mb ram available and 128 mb SHARED
    >MEMORY....what is shared memory, and is there a way to not have it so i can
    >play my games, which require 512 mb ram??
    >

    > hope this makes sense
    >

    > keeker

    The "system" uses up a certain amount of it just to run. What's left is what
    you have to work with. What is much more important is, is it upgradeable,
    and how much. If so it will show it in the manual. It may well have a free
    slot to double what you have, or it may have a 512 module that can be
    replaced with a 1gig module. If so it's pretty cheap and easy to do. What
    model #? If you can't find the info you should be able to look it up on line
    easy.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]

    Alex Clayton, Dec 19, 2006