    Have A Great Day!
    --
    All Outgoing mail scanned by McAfee
    Matthew Surber, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Matthew Surber

    Brian Guest

    "Matthew Surber" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have noticed a severe memory seepage on my computer. The "Free Space"

    has
    > went from 30.0 GB to 26.9GB in 2 or 3 days, and I haven't downloaded any

    new
    > programs. Could this memory be going to temporary files, if so, how do I

    get
    > rid of them?
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Surber
    >
    > Have A Great Day!
    > --
    > All Outgoing mail scanned by McAfee

    could well be the case if you do a lot of surfing.
    delete the temporary internet files if you wish--
    tools>>options>>delete files
    Brian, Oct 7, 2004

  3. I did a cleanup and it said "recovered 5.4 MB of disk space from 422 files."
    I don't do too much surfing, probably more email than anything. Could other
    applicationa suchas Outlook Express 6 or IncrediMail Xe make temporary files
    also?

    Matthew Surber, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Matthew Surber

    Thor Guest

    "Matthew Surber" <> wrote in message
    >I did a cleanup and it said "recovered 5.4 MB of disk space from 422
    >files."
    > I don't do too much surfing, probably more email than anything. Could
    > other
    > applicationa suchas Outlook Express 6 or IncrediMail Xe make temporary
    > files
    > also?
    >
    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Matthew Surber" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> > I have noticed a severe memory seepage on my computer. The "Free Space"

    >> has
    >> > went from 30.0 GB to 26.9GB in 2 or 3 days, and I haven't downloaded
    >> > any

    >> new
    >> > programs. Could this memory be going to temporary files, if so, how do

    >> get
    >> > rid of them?

    What is the total capacity of the drive in question?
    Thor, Oct 7, 2004
  5. The total capacity of the drive is 33.0 GB, but I had already used 3 GB of
    it for programs.

    Matthew Surber, Oct 7, 2004
  6. Matthew Surber

    > I did a cleanup and it said "recovered 5.4 MB of disk space from 422

    files."
    > I don't do too much surfing, probably more email than anything. Could

    other
    > applicationa suchas Outlook Express 6 or IncrediMail Xe make temporary

    files
    > also?

    naa.. but if you have visited sites with lots of graphics/flash etc. on them
    then thats quite a reasonable size for the temp file.. mine is at 11 meg
    right now after just 1.5 days..that reminds me, gotta empty it now..

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Matthew Surber" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > I have noticed a severe memory seepage on my computer. The "Free

    Space"
    > > has
    > > > went from 30.0 GB to 26.9GB in 2 or 3 days, and I haven't downloaded

    any
    > > new
    > > > programs. Could this memory be going to temporary files, if so, how do

    > > get
    > > > rid of them?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Matthew Surber
    > > >
    > > > Have A Great Day!
    > > > --
    > > > All Outgoing mail scanned by McAfee
    > > >

    > > could well be the case if you do a lot of surfing.
    > > delete the temporary internet files if you wish--
    > > tools>>options>>delete files

    naa.. but if you have visited sites with large graphics on them then thats
    quite a reasonable size for the temp file.. mine is at 11 meg right now
    after just two days..
    Brian, Oct 7, 2004
  7. Matthew Surber

    > The total capacity of the drive is 33.0 GB, but I had already used 3 GB of
    > it for programs.

    Well, if the drive's capacity is *advertised* as 33GB and that's what it
    says on the drive's label, then you put 3GB worth of stuff on the drive,
    windows would display something like 27GB free, because of the difference in
    how windows measures remaining capacity and how the manufacturers measure
    harddrive capacity.

    A 33GB drive as advertised by the drive's manufacturer would typically
    display as ~30GB in windows with nothing on it. Put 3GB worth of data on the
    drive, and you end up with around 27GB free. My "120GB" Seagate drive shows
    up in windows as a "111GB" drive due to the difference in decimal Vs. binary
    calculation. Are you sure this isn't the situation you are having?
    Thor, Oct 7, 2004
  8. I don't think it is, but it may be. I looked the other day and it said I had
    30 GB left, but then, as the days went on, it would decrease at least one
    half a gigabyte a day. I don't know what it is? Is this what yours did?
    Besides the 33 GB drive, the computer has a 4 GB recovery partition.

    Matthew Surber, Oct 7, 2004
  9. Matthew Surber

    >I don't think it is, but it may be. I looked the other day and it said I
    >had
    > 30 GB left, but then, as the days went on, it would decrease at least one
    > half a gigabyte a day. I don't know what it is? Is this what yours did?
    > Besides the 33 GB drive, the computer has a 4 GB recovery partition.

    Could be many things. System restore archiving lots of stuff, perhaps, but
    it still seems excessive. Do you have any utilities like "Goback" or similar
    programs that archive files in the background? You likely have a 40GB drive
    (advertised capacity), which is a ~37GB drive in binary calculation. Take
    your 4GB recovery partition from that, and you get your 33GB size. So you
    probably do have several GB used at this point. You could try doing a search
    of the most recently altered files by date, and see what has been added
    where.
    Thor, Oct 8, 2004
  10. Matthew Surber

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:46:04 GMT, "Matthew Surber"
    <> wrote:

    Sorry no one corrected you, but...

    Your problem is not 'memory'. What you describe has nothing to do
    with memory.

    >I have noticed a severe memory seepage on my computer. The "Free Space" has
    >went

    And its 'has gone'...not 'has went'.

    >from 30.0 GB to 26.9GB in 2 or 3 days, and I haven't downloaded any new
    >programs. Could this memory be going to temporary files, if so, how do I get
    >rid of them?

    2.5 gig is a lot. Download the Vopt defragger...and have it hunt for
    large files. It could be you tried to burn some large
    files...pictures, ISO's, etc...and the program never cleared its temp
    files.

    Good luck...let us know.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 9, 2004
  11. I still can't fond the problem, but I checked again last night and it was
    down to 25.5 GB... Do you know where I can download the Vopt defragger?
    Thanks!

    Matthew Surber, Oct 9, 2004
  12. Matthew Surber

    derek / nul Guest

    I usually find it with google.

    derek / nul, Oct 9, 2004
  13. Matthew Surber

    Trent© Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I still can't fond the problem, but I checked again last night and it was
    >down to 25.5 GB... Do you know where I can download the Vopt defragger?
    >Thanks!

    Try Derek's idea...shud work.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 9, 2004
  14. I hope I can find it, problem still occuring, with "Free Space" down to 24.9
    GB, and no new programs added.

    Matthew Surber, Oct 10, 2004
  15. Matthew Surber

    Dave C. Guest

    Last week, I just had a problem with spyware in that the "download" light
    stayed on full time downloading stuff that was going somewhere or other. I
    did not track my hard drive space to see if it was actually loading on the
    drive.

    I ran Adware and Spybot and was no help.

    Nevertheless, I brought it to a local repair service, and he found one of
    the startup applications was running all the time. I got it back today and
    he corrected the problem.

    If I saw my HD begin to get eaten up at your rate, I might consider having
    someone look at it soon.

    --
    Dave C.

    9et

    Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

    Dave C., Oct 10, 2004