memory probs with win98

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by dennis, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. dennis

    dennis Guest

    Hi all,
    I have a system runninng win98se w/256mb ram. About once per hour the while
    system is being used it will post a memory low error. A reboot is required
    to rectify.

    The customer (a volunteer firedepartment) will get a new version of norton
    but in the meantime I ran trendmicro's housecall twice and came up clean.
    Also ran Spybot, Rabbit Registry optimizer, configured msconfig to start
    minimally, also made sure nothing was launching from autoexec.bat. When I
    do a control-alt-del there are only 3 or 4 or applications running... wmp54,
    word, explorer and wmexe (ok they have a cheapo winmodem for their paging
    app for the volunteer fireman)

    Does Win98 have any memory monitor app or is there such a utility? Any
    other ideas?

    It's either old age or my expertise with win98 is fading fast... maybe both?

    thanks for any help.

    Dennis
    dennis, Feb 6, 2004

  2. dennis

    mark mandel Guest

    "dennis" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I have a system runninng win98se w/256mb ram. About once per hour the

    while
    > system is being used it will post a memory low error. A reboot is

    required
    > to rectify.
    >
    > The customer (a volunteer firedepartment) will get a new version of norton
    > but in the meantime I ran trendmicro's housecall twice and came up clean.
    > Also ran Spybot, Rabbit Registry optimizer, configured msconfig to start
    > minimally, also made sure nothing was launching from autoexec.bat. When I
    > do a control-alt-del there are only 3 or 4 or applications running...

    wmp54,
    > word, explorer and wmexe (ok they have a cheapo winmodem for their paging
    > app for the volunteer fireman)
    >
    > Does Win98 have any memory monitor app or is there such a utility?

    Yes. The System Monitor. Go from Start to Programs to Accessories to System
    Tools and then System Monitor.

    Any

    mark mandel, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Dennis,

    You clearly have a memory leak. Sometimes those processes don't show up on
    my W2K system, they just happen. If W98's version of task manager doesn't
    give a clue, then start in safe mode and open one application after another
    until you identify the culprit. Sometimes recon-by-fire is the only way.

    Matthew

    Matthew Lonergan, Feb 6, 2004
  4. I would suggest a very good Freeware app that I use. It's called FreeRAM XP
    Pro. You should find it off of Download.com. I have it running on my
    computers and it really helps clear up Win98 memory leaks.

    Uncreative with names, Feb 10, 2004
  5. dennis

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Uncreative with names" <> wrote in news:U9WVb.3025
    $:

    > I have it running on my
    > computers and it really helps clear up Win98 memory leaks.

    What you state is impossible. Best case is the program will force the lost
    memory to be paged out to disk, it is still is leaked and nothing but a
    reboot can undo that.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)