Memory problems - solutions welcome

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, May 24, 2009.

  1. Guest

    The ramble:

    Motherboard Name: Intel Augsburg D915GAG
    Computer Model: Gateway 507GR
    CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 530J (HT), 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
    (It's a hyper threading chip. it shows up as dual cpu, but it's just
    two threads.)

    I'm just used to getting DEP errors and use the /fastdetect=Optin
    option in my XPro Boot.ini since SP2; So that I can do step two:

    If I get a "can't read memory at a memory location" error, the program
    shuts down and I'll place the program in the performance Options -
    Data Execution Prevention (DEP) area, problem Program fixed, and it
    works fine from then on.

    I've started getting a lot lately (DEP Errors), I've also noticed that
    I'm using a 900Meg page file - up from 300Megs. So I started deleting
    Large foot print programs like Nero9 (a hog of a program) and disable
    any need less services (one svchost is running 25 megs) but only got
    it to 800Megs.

    (on to the good stuff)

    Now while I'm going about this, I came across my Hirens Boot CD, I'm
    thinking maybe it's a real memory problem, so I booted up with Hirens
    boot CD.

    And every memory program gives errors, memtest86 and the rest.

    Goldmemory program gave me
    Addr: 1014M
    Exp: 55AA55AA Act: 55AA00AA (0=zero)

    the 6 and 7 bits wouldn't take, this was intermentant, the test
    results were for "Mats"(?) but I didn't go any further.

    The exact same results above were given for:
    Two 1 Gig sticks, as well as for two 256 Meg sticks (their ADDR: being
    246).

    Memtest86 does the same thing except it's the 17th and 18th bits that
    come up 00 (Memtest uses a larger string) and intermentant as well.

    I used the first memory bank and slot A to test each stick; When I
    started to take this seriously to get the results above.

    I called a friend and right away he says it's a bad memory slot.

    The manual has no memory config setup where the first slot is empty
    (hyper threading).

    I've cleaned the slot, scoped it, it looks fine (and it's all I've
    got) so I'm using it.

    To rattle on, I dual boot and this isn't happening as badly on XP Home
    as it is with XPro (Opera is about the only program that errors out),
    go figure.

    XP home is my emergency OS and I seldom use it, but it has most of
    what XP Pro has installed (the must haves - COD4 :} ). My Pagefile on
    Home is right at 300 Megs.

    Malware is unlikely as the test were done in DOS. With two different
    versions of Hirens Boot CD. And a NOD32 deep scan was done (without
    any problem) on XPro.

    Now, anybody got a guess as to what the problem might be, Besides a
    bad slot?

    --

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/geom/338374928/

    , May 24, 2009

  2. philo Guest

    <snip>

    > And every memory program gives errors, memtest86 and the rest.
    >
    > Goldmemory program gave me
    > Addr: 1014M
    > Exp: 55AA55AA Act: 55AA00AA (0=zero)
    >
    > the 6 and 7 bits wouldn't take, this was intermentant, the test
    > results were for "Mats"(?) but I didn't go any further.
    >
    > The exact same results above were given for:
    > Two 1 Gig sticks, as well as for two 256 Meg sticks (their ADDR: being
    > 246).
    >
    > Memtest86 does the same thing except it's the 17th and 18th bits that
    > come up 00 (Memtest uses a larger string) and intermentant as well.
    >
    > I used the first memory bank and slot A to test each stick; When I
    > started to take this seriously to get the results above.
    >
    > I called a friend and right away he says it's a bad memory slot.
    >
    > The manual has no memory config setup where the first slot is empty
    > (hyper threading).
    >
    > I've cleaned the slot, scoped it, it looks fine (and it's all I've
    > got) so I'm using it.
    >
    > To rattle on, I dual boot and this isn't happening as badly on XP Home
    > as it is with XPro (Opera is about the only program that errors out),
    > go figure.
    >
    > XP home is my emergency OS and I seldom use it, but it has most of
    > what XP Pro has installed (the must haves - COD4 :} ). My Pagefile on
    > Home is right at 300 Megs.
    >
    > Malware is unlikely as the test were done in DOS. With two different
    > versions of Hirens Boot CD. And a NOD32 deep scan was done (without
    > any problem) on XPro.
    >
    > Now, anybody got a guess as to what the problem might be, Besides a
    > bad slot?

    If any of your memory diagnostics come up with as much as one error...
    you have a memory problem for sure.

    If the RAM sticks check good in another machine it probably is a bad slot...
    however it may simply be a matter of timing.

    Try *under clocking* the RAM and see if the errors go away.

    If so, simply clock the RAM for the highest speed that gives *no* errors
    after running overnight

    philo, May 24, 2009

  3. wrote:

    > The ramble:
    >
    > Motherboard Name: Intel Augsburg D915GAG
    > Computer Model: Gateway 507GR
    > CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 530J (HT), 3000 MHz (15 x 200)

    That one is already 64bit capable

    > (It's a hyper threading chip. it shows up as dual cpu, but it's just
    > two threads.)

    Ok from what I found your board supports DDR333 and DDR400 memory with spd.

    > I've started getting a lot lately (DEP Errors), I've also noticed that
    > I'm using a 900Meg page file - up from 300Megs. So I started deleting
    > Large foot print programs like Nero9 (a hog of a program) and disable
    > any need less services (one svchost is running 25 megs) but only got
    > it to 800Megs.
    >
    > (on to the good stuff)
    >
    > Now while I'm going about this, I came across my Hirens Boot CD, I'm
    > thinking maybe it's a real memory problem, so I booted up with Hirens
    > boot CD.
    >
    > And every memory program gives errors, memtest86 and the rest.
    >
    > Goldmemory program gave me
    > Addr: 1014M
    > Exp: 55AA55AA Act: 55AA00AA (0=zero)
    >
    > the 6 and 7 bits wouldn't take, this was intermentant, the test
    > results were for "Mats"(?) but I didn't go any further.
    >
    > The exact same results above were given for:
    > Two 1 Gig sticks, as well as for two 256 Meg sticks (their ADDR: being
    > 246).
    >
    > Memtest86 does the same thing except it's the 17th and 18th bits that
    > come up 00 (Memtest uses a larger string) and intermentant as well.
    >
    > I used the first memory bank and slot A to test each stick; When I
    > started to take this seriously to get the results above.
    >
    > I called a friend and right away he says it's a bad memory slot.

    Or a bad memory controller on the northbridge ...

    > Malware is unlikely as the test were done in DOS. With two different
    > versions of Hirens Boot CD. And a NOD32 deep scan was done (without
    > any problem) on XPro.
    >
    > Now, anybody got a guess as to what the problem might be, Besides a
    > bad slot?

    Just for fun, try out a 64bit OS (maybe some livecd linux).

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 24, 2009

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 24, 2009
  5. Guest

    wrote:

    >To rattle on, I dual boot and this isn't happening as badly on XP Home
    >as it is with XPro (Opera is about the only program that errors out),
    >go figure.

    >XP home is my emergency OS and I seldom use it, but it has most of
    >what XP Pro has installed (the must haves - COD4 :} ). My Pagefile on
    >Home is right at 300 Megs.

    To update, Using XP Home (dual boot) I had no problems, That in itself
    said it was a XPro problem

    No:" The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000.
    The memory could not be "read" never showed up on Home but Pro would
    boot into one :)

    Run XP Pro and I noticed that my Boot.ini was being rewritten omitting
    the DEP command.

    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" /fastdetect
    /noexecute=optout
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=" XP" /FASTDETECT=Optin

    Correct it and it would change back to the above or close on a reboot.
    Note: that the last line isn't a switch - /FASTDETECT=Optin
    means nothing - but it changed to that config on every reboot.

    Did a repair install and had problems with two files, said the heck
    with it and used ERUNT, went back a month ago when the OS was running
    just fine.

    So at this time everything is just hunky dory, on both OS's

    Plug for a must have (screw restore) ERUNT
    Just do as I do and run it once a week or more, leave notes! in the
    file name - that's how I knew which one to use.

    AlI I can figure is that I picked up something. NOD32 didn't find
    anything, and I ran it from two OS's (checking just the Pro
    partition), and two rootkit runs - nothing.

    And my memory passes a fast test now - Downloaded Hirens Boot CD 9.0
    and ran some unknown memory program and it passed,

    Goldmemory still gives errors, I don't know... My machine runs just
    great now, go figure....

    --

    Handy chair.
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/870/whatachair.jpg