    Can anyone explain what may have happened to the other 8MB. Does it
    indicate a fault on the 64MB module? (OS is Windows 2000 Professional SP3)

    Chris O
    Chris O, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Chris O

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:46:29 +0000 (UTC), "Chris O" <> wrote:

    >My PC blue screened yesterday and when I re-booted, it came up showing only
    >64MB of installed memory when it actually has 192MB in it (1 x 64MB module
    >and 1 x 128MB module).
    >I ran the Belarc Advisor utility and it confirmed that there was now just
    >64MB installed and that there were 2 modules present - 1 x 64MB and 1 x
    >128MB.
    >I assumed the problem was probably a failure of the 128MB module so I
    >removed it and re-booted. System came up showing 56MB this time.
    >I re-installed the 128MB piece and now it shows 184MB installed and all
    >seems to be working again.
    >What I don't know is whether it was showing 184 MB or 192 MB immediately
    >before the failure.
    >Can anyone explain what may have happened to the other 8MB. Does it
    >indicate a fault on the 64MB module? (OS is Windows 2000 Professional SP3)
    >
    >Chris O

    The missing 8 is allocated to shared video memory because you have a system with on-board graphics adapter.
    Reseating the 128 stick cured the problem and would suggest that it wasn't seated properly to begin with.
    Harrison, Aug 3, 2005

  3. Chris O

    Chris O Guest

    wrote:

    > >My PC blue screened yesterday and when I re-booted, it came up showing

    only
    > >64MB of installed memory when it actually has 192MB in it (1 x 64MB

    module
    > >and 1 x 128MB module).
    > >I ran the Belarc Advisor utility and it confirmed that there was now just
    > >64MB installed and that there were 2 modules present - 1 x 64MB and 1 x
    > >128MB.
    > >I assumed the problem was probably a failure of the 128MB module so I
    > >removed it and re-booted. System came up showing 56MB this time.
    > >I re-installed the 128MB piece and now it shows 184MB installed and all
    > >seems to be working again.
    > >What I don't know is whether it was showing 184 MB or 192 MB immediately
    > >before the failure.
    > >Can anyone explain what may have happened to the other 8MB. Does it
    > >indicate a fault on the 64MB module? (OS is Windows 2000 Professional

    SP3)

    > >Chris O

    > The missing 8 is allocated to shared video memory because you have a

    system with on-board graphics adapter.
    > Reseating the 128 stick cured the problem and would suggest that it wasn't

    seated properly to begin with.

    Thanks for that - the only thing I still don't quite understand is why it
    reported 64MB when the problem first occurred (with the 128MB module still
    in place) , but dropped to 56MB when I removed the module completely.
    Chris O, Aug 3, 2005
  4. Chris O

    Chris O Guest

    wrote:

    > >My PC blue screened yesterday and when I re-booted, it came up showing

    only
    > >64MB of installed memory when it actually has 192MB in it (1 x 64MB

    module
    > >and 1 x 128MB module).
    > >I ran the Belarc Advisor utility and it confirmed that there was now just
    > >64MB installed and that there were 2 modules present - 1 x 64MB and 1 x
    > >128MB.
    > >I assumed the problem was probably a failure of the 128MB module so I
    > >removed it and re-booted. System came up showing 56MB this time.
    > >I re-installed the 128MB piece and now it shows 184MB installed and all
    > >seems to be working again.
    > >What I don't know is whether it was showing 184 MB or 192 MB immediately
    > >before the failure.
    > >Can anyone explain what may have happened to the other 8MB. Does it
    > >indicate a fault on the 64MB module? (OS is Windows 2000 Professional

    SP3)

    > >Chris O

    > The missing 8 is allocated to shared video memory because you have a

    system with on-board graphics adapter.
    > Reseating the 128 stick cured the problem and would suggest that it wasn't

    seated properly to begin with.

    Update on earlier reply - this morning memory went missing again, but this
    time Belarc Advisor tells me the second slot was 16MB instead of 128MB.
    Reseated the module again and I now have the full 128MB once more. Is this
    likely to be just dirty contacts or could it point to the memory module
    being faulty - or a mother board problem ?
    Chris O, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Chris O

    Harrison Guest

    >Update on earlier reply - this morning memory went missing again, but this
    >time Belarc Advisor tells me the second slot was 16MB instead of 128MB.
    >Reseated the module again and I now have the full 128MB once more. Is this
    >likely to be just dirty contacts or could it point to the memory module
    >being faulty - or a mother board problem ?

    Yes, to all.
    Harrison, Aug 4, 2005