    The boards I'm looking at had eight ram slots, so there will still be room
    for expansion later if I do take the 4x route.

    Thanks in advance!

    Trey, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Trey

    Thor Guest

    negligible difference performance-wise, however, multiple modules can be
    good if you suffer a bad module down the road. You have one to keep you
    running until you get the replacement. Downside is if you want to upgrade
    you may have to toss a module to make room for the upgrade depending on the
    number of slots you have.

    Thor, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Trey

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:41:53 GMT, "Trey" <> wrote:

    >I am working on building a new computer and when I was looking at the ram, I
    >was hit with a question. What would be faster? 2x DDR2-400 @ 512 MB. or 4x
    >DDR2-400 @ 256MB??? Both give me the desired one Gig, but is there any
    >performance gain to having more modules, at a lower capacity instead of
    >fewer modules at a higher capacity?

    There will be no difference, get the 2 x 512Mb, allows for expansion

    derek / nul, Dec 27, 2004
  4. Trey

    Michael-NC Guest

    IMO, go with whatever's cheaper. I wouldn't worry about upgrading too much
    unless you do something really memory intensive with the machine. By the
    time you need more than a GB of ram, DDR2 and your motherboard will be
    obsolete.

    Michael-NC, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Trey

    Trey Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:
    > IMO, go with whatever's cheaper. I wouldn't worry about upgrading too
    > much unless you do something really memory intensive with the
    > machine. By the time you need more than a GB of ram, DDR2 and your
    > motherboard will be obsolete.

    True.. The machine I have now is an AMD T-bird 900, with pc133 ram. Its
    about four years old now, so I would expect to get about four years out of
    my next one as well.

    Trey, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Trey

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Trey" <> wrote in message
    > Michael-NC wrote:
    >> IMO, go with whatever's cheaper. I wouldn't worry about upgrading too
    >> much unless you do something really memory intensive with the
    >> machine. By the time you need more than a GB of ram, DDR2 and your
    >> motherboard will be obsolete.

    > True.. The machine I have now is an AMD T-bird 900, with pc133 ram. Its
    > about four years old now, so I would expect to get about four years out of
    > my next one as well.

    Yep. And after 4 years you probably wouldn't want to spend more money on it
    to upgrade. I built all the machines in my house and now, whenever I upgrade
    a machine, I try to keep the motherboard, CPU, memory and power supply as
    one unit. It's getting harder and harder to swap out parts. For instance,
    when I need to upgrade this 2800XP Barton Core with 1 GB DDR, I'm just going
    to get a new MB with an Athlon 64, another 1 GB of memory and a new power
    supply and pass this "unit" on. At least I know those core components work
    together and the power supply was rated for that particular "unit."

    Funny that they are already specing DDR3 and DDR2 never really seemed to
    reach critical mass. DDR is already deemed obsolete but everyone still needs
    it...

    Michael-NC, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Trey

    Trey Guest

    > Yep. And after 4 years you probably wouldn't want to spend more money
    > on it to upgrade. I built all the machines in my house and now,
    > whenever I upgrade a machine, I try to keep the motherboard, CPU,
    > memory and power supply as one unit. It's getting harder and harder
    > to swap out parts. For instance, when I need to upgrade this 2800XP
    > Barton Core with 1 GB DDR, I'm just going to get a new MB with an
    > Athlon 64, another 1 GB of memory and a new power supply and pass
    > this "unit" on. At least I know those core components work together
    > and the power supply was rated for that particular "unit."
    >
    > Funny that they are already specing DDR3 and DDR2 never really seemed
    > to reach critical mass. DDR is already deemed obsolete but everyone
    > still needs it...

    Will there be a DDR3? Mathmatically, it would jump to DDR4 with the doubling
    of the memory banks.
    The problem with DDR2 is the Latency. It would be nice if they were able to
    get the Latency down to what it should be.

    Trey, Dec 29, 2004
  8. Trey

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Trey" <> wrote in message

    >> Yep. And after 4 years you probably wouldn't want to spend more money
    >> on it to upgrade. I built all the machines in my house and now,
    >> whenever I upgrade a machine, I try to keep the motherboard, CPU,
    >> memory and power supply as one unit. It's getting harder and harder
    >> to swap out parts. For instance, when I need to upgrade this 2800XP
    >> Barton Core with 1 GB DDR, I'm just going to get a new MB with an
    >> Athlon 64, another 1 GB of memory and a new power supply and pass
    >> this "unit" on. At least I know those core components work together
    >> and the power supply was rated for that particular "unit."
    >>
    >> Funny that they are already specing DDR3 and DDR2 never really seemed
    >> to reach critical mass. DDR is already deemed obsolete but everyone
    >> still needs it...

    > Will there be a DDR3? Mathmatically, it would jump to DDR4 with the
    > doubling
    > of the memory banks.
    > The problem with DDR2 is the Latency. It would be nice if they were able
    > get the Latency down to what it should be.

    Sure, it's in use on graphics cards now. Google DDR3 and you'll get plenty
    of hits.

    Michael-NC, Dec 29, 2004