    generic. I'm leaning more towards the memory since i've had blue screens on
    other pc's that went away when I put name brand memory in it. Wanted to
    know if anyone has had similar prob and how dealt with it...
    desperado, Oct 21, 2003

  2. desperado

    Michael-NC Guest

    http://www.tufftest.com/tt01.htm#tests_and_functions

    It's only 10.00 bucks for this DOS diagnostic app. It'll tell you what's the
    problem.

    You can also try http://www.memtest86.com/ It's free and tests only the
    memory.

    "desperado" <> wrote in message
    > been working on this pc that seemed to have suffered great damage during
    > loss of power....ps no good..changed it...mobo didn't respond w/new
    > ps...slipped in another mobo...Iwill vd133pl...used...system booted up,
    > although everytime it booted, it would go through scandisk-due to improper
    > shutdown-which wasn't true..anyhow...i've been getting blue screens during
    > new installs after reformatting...changed hdd to another working

    one...would
    > boot and after a while would come the bluescreen...i'm thinking it's

    either

    Michael-NC, Oct 21, 2003

  3. desperado

    Thor Guest

    "desperado" <> wrote in message
    > been working on this pc that seemed to have suffered great damage during
    > loss of power....ps no good..changed it...mobo didn't respond w/new
    > ps...slipped in another mobo...Iwill vd133pl...used...system booted up,
    > although everytime it booted, it would go through scandisk-due to improper
    > shutdown-which wasn't true..anyhow...i've been getting blue screens during
    > new installs after reformatting...changed hdd to another working

    one...would
    > boot and after a while would come the bluescreen...i'm thinking it's

    either
    > the mobo (which is used and might not be 100%) or the memory which is
    > generic. I'm leaning more towards the memory since i've had blue screens

    on
    > other pc's that went away when I put name brand memory in it. Wanted to
    > know if anyone has had similar prob and how dealt with it...

    check the memory.
    Thor, Oct 21, 2003
  4. desperado

    Firebird81 Guest

    It has been my experience for the past couple years that generic memory
    equals failing memory. Always buy namebrand RAM with lifetime warranties and
    you won't encounter this so much.

    Tufftest has a great RAM tester.
    Firebird81, Oct 21, 2003