memory mapped files

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Apr 4, 2013.

  1. I'm just looking at memory usage and processor usage here on my machine.
    (win7 ultimate 64bit)
    What set me off is that Acronis has some invisible console program that
    betimes loads and then tends to sit in memory, do nothing and use 25% of
    processor capacity. Ok, I can fix that with sysconfig, by stopping all
    Acronis stuff from auto-loading but that really should not happen. Waste
    of 'lectricity I reckon.

    Subsequently I looked at memory status using sysinternals'rammap
    utility. I'm down to 4Gb of physical RAM currently, and I find that
    1,500,000 of that memory is taken up by mapped files, after the machine
    has been up for a couple of days. That is also kind of ridiculous to my
    mind.

    (Hope I get my pair of replacement ram sticks some time soon... Corsair
    just isn't the quality it used to be).

    Any idea how to clear out all that junk without a reboot? Free up Mem?
    Basically I find that I have to restart the machine to be able to do any
    complicated stuff with photoshop for instance or I get 'out of memory'
    problems.
    Not to mention a couple of 'delicate' games tend to crash out as well
    should I try to run them at this point.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 4, 2013

  2. Peter Huebner

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    s, Peter Huebner says...

    > I'm just looking at memory usage and processor usage here on my machine.
    > (win7 ultimate 64bit)
    > What set me off is that Acronis has some invisible console program that
    > betimes loads and then tends to sit in memory, do nothing and use 25% of
    > processor capacity. Ok, I can fix that with sysconfig, by stopping all
    > Acronis stuff from auto-loading but that really should not happen. Waste
    > of 'lectricity I reckon.
    >
    > Subsequently I looked at memory status using sysinternals'rammap
    > utility. I'm down to 4Gb of physical RAM currently, and I find that
    > 1,500,000 of that memory is taken up by mapped files, after the machine
    > has been up for a couple of days. That is also kind of ridiculous to my
    > mind.
    >
    > (Hope I get my pair of replacement ram sticks some time soon... Corsair
    > just isn't the quality it used to be).
    >
    > Any idea how to clear out all that junk without a reboot? Free up Mem?
    > Basically I find that I have to restart the machine to be able to do any
    > complicated stuff with photoshop for instance or I get 'out of memory'
    > problems.
    > Not to mention a couple of 'delicate' games tend to crash out as well
    > should I try to run them at this point.

    Sounds strange to me - memory in use is, surely, a good thing -
    otherwise... well, it's not being used! :) OS memory, I'd have thought,
    should be paged in and out as required, to allow the system to manage
    memory for apps as required.

    I guess my wee 8Gb notebook machine looks quite different to yours? -
    you'll note an uptime of about 10 days - be interesting to compare with
    a similar pic of yours?...

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard01.jpg

    What Acronis program are you using? Trueimage? I just use the built in
    Windows Backup program and it's scheduled to run once a week, data and
    system image to a backup drive hanging off another 'puter. It takes
    ages via the aging 100Mbit network switch, about 10 hours, but it
    doesn't bother me at all. And it doesn't hog memory or CPU.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 5, 2013

  3. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > s, Peter Huebner says...
    >>
    >> I'm just looking at memory usage and processor usage here on my
    >> machine. (win7 ultimate 64bit)
    >> What set me off is that Acronis has some invisible console program
    >> that betimes loads and then tends to sit in memory, do nothing and
    >> use 25% of processor capacity. Ok, I can fix that with sysconfig, by
    >> stopping all Acronis stuff from auto-loading but that really should
    >> not happen. Waste of 'lectricity I reckon.
    >>
    >> Subsequently I looked at memory status using sysinternals'rammap
    >> utility. I'm down to 4Gb of physical RAM currently, and I find that
    >> 1,500,000 of that memory is taken up by mapped files, after the
    >> machine has been up for a couple of days. That is also kind of
    >> ridiculous to my mind.
    >>
    >> (Hope I get my pair of replacement ram sticks some time soon...
    >> Corsair just isn't the quality it used to be).
    >>
    >> Any idea how to clear out all that junk without a reboot? Free up
    >> Mem? Basically I find that I have to restart the machine to be able
    >> to do any complicated stuff with photoshop for instance or I get
    >> 'out of memory' problems.
    >> Not to mention a couple of 'delicate' games tend to crash out as well
    >> should I try to run them at this point.

    > Sounds strange to me - memory in use is, surely, a good thing -
    > otherwise... well, it's not being used! :) OS memory, I'd have
    > thought, should be paged in and out as required, to allow the system
    > to manage memory for apps as required.
    >
    > I guess my wee 8Gb notebook machine looks quite different to yours? -
    > you'll note an uptime of about 10 days - be interesting to compare
    > with a similar pic of yours?...
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard01.jpg
    >
    > What Acronis program are you using? Trueimage? I just use the built
    > in Windows Backup program and it's scheduled to run once a week, data
    > and system image to a backup drive hanging off another 'puter. It
    > takes ages via the aging 100Mbit network switch, about 10 hours, but
    > it doesn't bother me at all. And it doesn't hog memory or CPU.

    Hi Dave.

    Can you restore your boot partition completely from that 'system image' if
    it gets corrupted? If yes have you tried it? (I always do that - usually
    swap in a spare HDD to restore to as I've found some folks using programmes
    and thinking they're covered but, when push comes to shove their 'backups'
    aren't worth the space they're using.) I too use Acronis TI and it does that
    very well.

    Is that a quad-core CPU that's using that 'hyperthreading' thing that (to my
    mind) only made sense on single-core CPUs?

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Apr 5, 2013
  4. Peter Huebner

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kjl24p$hja$>, ,
    ~misfit~ says...

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > s, Peter Huebner says...
    > >>
    > >> I'm just looking at memory usage and processor usage here on my
    > >> machine. (win7 ultimate 64bit)
    > >> What set me off is that Acronis has some invisible console program
    > >> that betimes loads and then tends to sit in memory, do nothing and
    > >> use 25% of processor capacity. Ok, I can fix that with sysconfig, by
    > >> stopping all Acronis stuff from auto-loading but that really should
    > >> not happen. Waste of 'lectricity I reckon.
    > >>
    > >> Subsequently I looked at memory status using sysinternals'rammap
    > >> utility. I'm down to 4Gb of physical RAM currently, and I find that
    > >> 1,500,000 of that memory is taken up by mapped files, after the
    > >> machine has been up for a couple of days. That is also kind of
    > >> ridiculous to my mind.
    > >>
    > >> (Hope I get my pair of replacement ram sticks some time soon...
    > >> Corsair just isn't the quality it used to be).
    > >>
    > >> Any idea how to clear out all that junk without a reboot? Free up
    > >> Mem? Basically I find that I have to restart the machine to be able
    > >> to do any complicated stuff with photoshop for instance or I get
    > >> 'out of memory' problems.
    > >> Not to mention a couple of 'delicate' games tend to crash out as well
    > >> should I try to run them at this point.

    > > Sounds strange to me - memory in use is, surely, a good thing -
    > > otherwise... well, it's not being used! :) OS memory, I'd have
    > > thought, should be paged in and out as required, to allow the system
    > > to manage memory for apps as required.
    > >
    > > I guess my wee 8Gb notebook machine looks quite different to yours? -
    > > you'll note an uptime of about 10 days - be interesting to compare
    > > with a similar pic of yours?...
    > >
    > > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard01.jpg
    > >
    > > What Acronis program are you using? Trueimage? I just use the built
    > > in Windows Backup program and it's scheduled to run once a week, data
    > > and system image to a backup drive hanging off another 'puter. It
    > > takes ages via the aging 100Mbit network switch, about 10 hours, but
    > > it doesn't bother me at all. And it doesn't hog memory or CPU.

    > Hi Dave.
    >
    > Can you restore your boot partition completely from that 'system image' if
    > it gets corrupted? If yes have you tried it? (I always do that - usually
    > swap in a spare HDD to restore to as I've found some folks using programmes
    > and thinking they're covered but, when push comes to shove their 'backups'
    > aren't worth the space they're using.) I too use Acronis TI and it does that
    > very well.

    It does, but I prefer Paragon Drive Backup myself. Just a personal
    preference thing :) It was last tested about a year ago :( I also
    tested it not long after I got the notebook - and stripped all the
    manuafacturer crap from loading, I made an image using Drive Backup and
    setup the Windows Backup. Both were tested. So I have an early image
    that I could go back to if I needed to go back to "the day I got it -
    but with the HP crap stripped" sort of thing. And I have the Windows
    Backup that I could use to subsequently get either data or a system
    image from. It's not an important machine really, hence the backup has
    not been put to test for about a year now :(

    > Is that a quad-core CPU that's using that 'hyperthreading' thing that (to my
    > mind) only made sense on single-core CPUs?

    Don't know sorry :( It's only got one physical CPU I believe.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 5, 2013
  5. In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > Sounds strange to me - memory in use is, surely, a good thing -
    > otherwise... well, it's not being used! :) OS memory, I'd have thought,
    > should be paged in and out as required, to allow the system to manage
    > memory for apps as required.

    Mmmh, it wasn't a problem while I still had 6Gb, I had one pair of
    sticks wit a sick one, but I hadn't sent them back yet because I thought
    that my previous mobo might be the culprit. As it turns out, it was the
    RAM. So I packed up the pair and sent them back.

    I was also of the opinion that the OS should page out some of that
    memory clutter, as you say, (and yes, in principle I agree, it should be
    a good thing) but, I experienced problems so I started to investigate.
    Anyway, the situation will have resolved itself by the end of April when
    I get back from holidays, the replacement ram should be here by then.

    > I guess my wee 8Gb notebook machine looks quite different to yours? -
    > you'll note an uptime of about 10 days - be interesting to compare with
    > a similar pic of yours?...

    My desktop is often up for several weeks. I've only had the Acronis
    installed for 2-3 weeks... I had multiple failures all at once, one
    harddrive started croaking (900odd up-days the first one to die so soon)
    and at the same time the P67 controller chip on my Asus mobo went very
    very erratic. It had lost a couple of intel controlled SATA ports
    previously. Was the second mobo I had already, the first one was bad out
    of the box. I decided to biff it and get a Gigabyte Z77. Positive about
    the change so far.

    It seems this cpu gobbling console program gets called up by Acronis
    drive monitor, and then doesn't get shut down again. Without it, cpu
    activity is in the single digits.

    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard01.jpg
    >
    > What Acronis program are you using? Trueimage? I just use the built in
    > Windows Backup program and it's scheduled to run once a week, data and
    > system image to a backup drive hanging off another 'puter. It takes
    > ages via the aging 100Mbit network switch, about 10 hours, but it
    > doesn't bother me at all. And it doesn't hog memory or CPU.

    Yes, I bought a 3 license version of TrueImage. backing up all 3
    machines weekly to a harddrive in my desktop, and every now and again I
    will put another 2Tb drive into the dock and copy that drive over ...
    the 2nd backup drive lives in an external building in an airtight
    container.

    That recent tumble of dominos has me a little paranoid now. I don't want
    to afford loosing 10 years worth of accounts data for instance. Or the
    homebrew accounting software for that matter.

    My experience of Acronis cloning is excellent. I had to clone a pata
    drive with the main boot manager over to a larger sata (no pata
    connector on the new mobo) and it booted right up. Same goes for my
    second OS drive with Win7 on it, the one that went sour. Turned error
    checking off, ran a clone, and it hasn't thrown a wobbly yet. I'm very
    impressed with that side of it. And it also does a disk image of my Win8
    shlepptop across the wireless network connection without complaints.
    Worth the ~100 bucks I paid, I reckon. Have used MS backups in the dark
    dim past but never successfully managed to restore them to a useful
    state.

    To come back to the original query:
    I was a little bemused by the sheer amount of memory mapped files. I am
    well aware of memory caching of files, but I assumed that that memory
    should be de-allocated once the program that calls the files exits. This
    does not seem to happen so much ... there's actually **** all being used
    by applications and processes thare are _up_.

    Oh well. -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 5, 2013
  6. Peter Huebner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > To come back to the original query:
    > I was a little bemused by the sheer amount of memory mapped files. I am
    > well aware of memory caching of files, but I assumed that that memory
    > should be de-allocated once the program that calls the files exits. This
    > does not seem to happen so much ... there's actually **** all being used
    > by applications and processes thare are _up_.

    Ala Linux memory map mode that increases performance? Why load the saME
    STUFF, AND LETS USE THE RAM!
    oPPS cAPS.
    my bad.OOPs

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 5, 2013
  7. Peter Huebner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor <> wrote in

    > Peter Huebner <> wrote in
    >
    >> To come back to the original query:
    >> I was a little bemused by the sheer amount of memory mapped files. I
    >> am well aware of memory caching of files, but I assumed that that
    >> memory should be de-allocated once the program that calls the files
    >> exits. This does not seem to happen so much ... there's actually ****
    >> all being used by applications and processes thare are _up_.
    >>

    > Ala Linux memory map mode that increases performance? Why load the
    > saME STUFF, AND LETS USE THE RAM!
    > oPPS cAPS.
    > my bad.OOPs

    Could be a wrong mispelled post :)
    Let's go skiing.
    :)
    Unused ram should be used is my motto.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 5, 2013
  8. Peter Huebner

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    s, Peter Huebner says...

    > I'm just looking at memory usage and processor usage here on my machine.
    > (win7 ultimate 64bit)
    > What set me off is that Acronis has some invisible console program that
    > betimes loads and then tends to sit in memory, do nothing and use 25% of
    > processor capacity. Ok, I can fix that with sysconfig, by stopping all
    > Acronis stuff from auto-loading but that really should not happen. Waste
    > of 'lectricity I reckon.
    >
    > Subsequently I looked at memory status using sysinternals'rammap
    > utility. I'm down to 4Gb of physical RAM currently, and I find that
    > 1,500,000 of that memory is taken up by mapped files, after the machine
    > has been up for a couple of days. That is also kind of ridiculous to my
    > mind.
    >
    > (Hope I get my pair of replacement ram sticks some time soon... Corsair
    > just isn't the quality it used to be).
    >
    > Any idea how to clear out all that junk without a reboot? Free up Mem?
    > Basically I find that I have to restart the machine to be able to do any
    > complicated stuff with photoshop for instance or I get 'out of memory'
    > problems.
    > Not to mention a couple of 'delicate' games tend to crash out as well
    > should I try to run them at this point.

    It will be interesting to see how you machine is with the new RAM.
    Perhaps it's problem over - but it does sound pretty strange and um...
    OS related really.

    Today was Windows Update day, and after 12 or was it 16 updates where
    applied, it was typically reboot time (Linux would be a shell reload I
    bet, unless grub was updated).

    Anyway I took a new screenshot - and it's not too different from the
    original really...

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard02.jpg
    (not a lot loaded, VS, Outlook, Word, Excel, IE w' 8 pages and Skype)
    vs the original...
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard01.jpg

    Perhaps the problem could also be a rogue app that's allocating memory
    poorly, but surely that would be easy to spot by way of killing
    suspected apps and processes. It would be worth trying that sort of
    thing?

    What happens if you say load XP Mode which goobles a significant amount
    of RAM, or other VM's? Does any mapped memory get dumped?

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 11, 2013
  9. In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <>,
    > s, Peter Huebner says...
    > >
    > > I'm just looking at memory usage and processor usage here on my machine.
    > > (win7 ultimate 64bit)
    > > What set me off is that Acronis has some invisible console program that
    > > betimes loads and then tends to sit in memory, do nothing and use 25% of
    > > processor capacity. Ok, I can fix that with sysconfig, by stopping all
    > > Acronis stuff from auto-loading but that really should not happen. Waste
    > > of 'lectricity I reckon.
    > >
    > > Subsequently I looked at memory status using sysinternals'rammap
    > > utility. I'm down to 4Gb of physical RAM currently, and I find that
    > > 1,500,000 of that memory is taken up by mapped files, after the machine
    > > has been up for a couple of days. That is also kind of ridiculous to my
    > > mind.
    > >
    > > (Hope I get my pair of replacement ram sticks some time soon... Corsair
    > > just isn't the quality it used to be).
    > >
    > > Any idea how to clear out all that junk without a reboot? Free up Mem?
    > > Basically I find that I have to restart the machine to be able to do any
    > > complicated stuff with photoshop for instance or I get 'out of memory'
    > > problems.
    > > Not to mention a couple of 'delicate' games tend to crash out as well
    > > should I try to run them at this point.

    > It will be interesting to see how you machine is with the new RAM.
    > Perhaps it's problem over - but it does sound pretty strange and um...
    > OS related really.
    >
    > Today was Windows Update day, and after 12 or was it 16 updates where
    > applied, it was typically reboot time (Linux would be a shell reload I
    > bet, unless grub was updated).
    >
    > Anyway I took a new screenshot - and it's not too different from the
    > original really...
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard02.jpg
    > (not a lot loaded, VS, Outlook, Word, Excel, IE w' 8 pages and Skype)
    > vs the original...
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard01.jpg
    >
    > Perhaps the problem could also be a rogue app that's allocating memory
    > poorly, but surely that would be easy to spot by way of killing
    > suspected apps and processes. It would be worth trying that sort of
    > thing?
    >
    > What happens if you say load XP Mode which goobles a significant amount

    I can't follow it up since I'll be in Oz for the next three weeks.
    Hopefully the replacement ram will be waiting when I get home. Then we
    can see.
    And yes, I had a suspicion that a rogue application was not de-
    allocating ram on exit until I ran the sysinternals utility. That
    changed my perception to "memory mapped files that are no longer in use
    stay in RAM".
    It merits further investigation.

    cheers, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 11, 2013