Memory Management & best strategy moving forward

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGV2b25zaGlyZQ==?=, Oct 21, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I have a fairly new Alienware dual processor Xeon workstation with 4 Gb of
    RAM. I bought it with XP pro 32 bit due to concerns about current apps
    running well on a 64-bit system, possible driver issues and all the
    anti-spyware, antivirus utilities, etc. that might have problems.

    I contacted Alienware yesterday and they said that my system would work
    quite well with 64 bit Windows.

    Here's the strategy question: Am I better off to upgrade to the 64-bit
    version of Windows XP now? Or would it be better to wait for Vista in the
    first of the year?

    My sense is that software developers will focus on Vista more than any
    current version of XP. I've just started researching all this and can't
    find much information on Vista "under the hood". It is the basic version of
    Vista still a 32-bit system? I presume there logically would be a 64-bit
    version of Vista available?

    My biggest challenge is running Photoshop effectively within 32-bit XP Pro
    SP-2. Photoshop can never seem to get enough memory. Currently I am using
    the 3 GB switch, Photoshop's memory settings set to 100%, a 4096 MB page file
    and a dedicated scratch disk for Photoshop, and it is still slower than it
    should be. It gets very, very slow afterabout 12 steps in Photoshop until
    the available RAM is down to less than 400 MB... (I'm running MeMTurbo 3 and
    can watch the available memory drop after every step. I have it set to run
    the RAM scrub to recover unused RAM below 400 MB of remaining RAM).

    Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
    =?Utf-8?B?RGV2b25zaGlyZQ==?=, Oct 21, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGV2b25zaGlyZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You should consider dual booting if possible. You could then select the
    120-day free trial version of X64 or Vista64.
    That way you can test one or (triple boot) both and see what works best for
    you without divorcing yourself from X86.
    I have had x64 since the betas and have it working well, lots of new
    equipment and programs, though. Vista64 does not allow me to install many
    programs that work in x64, but surprisingly has more drivers for me. If
    Vista works for you you will be able to purchase it when it comes out early
    next year, meanwhile you will have X86. If Vista doesn't work then try XP
    Pro X64 and see if that works. It seems obvious that X64 will be pretty
    much an orphan in the future and you may have driver availability problems
    for future equipment. Drivers are a problem now and that probably won't get
    any better.

    John Barnes, Oct 21, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RGV2b25zaGlyZQ==?=

    John Barnes, Oct 21, 2006
  4. Even though Photoshop is only a 32-bit application, it _is_ compiled to be
    aware of memory beyond 2GB. Therefore, you would definitely have some
    benefit from running in Windows x64 Edition. The WOW64 subsystem (which is
    where 32-bit applications run) would enable Photoshop to see a full 4GB of
    virtual memory addresses, and you'd more effectively utilize your RAM.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 21, 2006
  5. Thanks.

    The next question is if Vista64 BETA is useable now without a lot of
    headaches and time sucking challenges....

    =?Utf-8?B?RGV2b25zaGlyZQ==?=, Oct 22, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RGV2b25zaGlyZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Totally depends on your setup. Use the RC1 that is available for download
    or DVD.

    John Barnes, Oct 22, 2006
  7. * Devonshire:

    > I have a fairly new Alienware dual processor Xeon workstation with 4 Gb of
    > RAM. I bought it with XP pro 32 bit due to concerns about current apps
    > running well on a 64-bit system, possible driver issues and all the
    > anti-spyware, antivirus utilities, etc. that might have problems.

    Not a bad decision.

    > I contacted Alienware yesterday and they said that my system would work
    > quite well with 64 bit Windows.
    >
    > Here's the strategy question: Am I better off to upgrade to the 64-bit
    > version of Windows XP now? Or would it be better to wait for Vista in the
    > first of the year?

    That depends on what you want to do. If you have native 64bit
    applications then upgrade to xp x64 or Vista x64, if not you're much
    better with the 32bit versions of xp and later with 32bit Vista.

    > My sense is that software developers will focus on Vista more than any
    > current version of XP. I've just started researching all this and can't
    > find much information on Vista "under the hood". It is the basic version of
    > Vista still a 32-bit system? I presume there logically would be a 64-bit
    > version of Vista available?

    Well, if you would have done the most logical thing (looking at the MS
    webiste) then you should have already "researched" that Vista will be
    available as 32bit version and as x64 version (as are the RCs).

    > My biggest challenge is running Photoshop effectively within 32-bit XP Pro
    > SP-2. Photoshop can never seem to get enough memory. Currently I am using
    > the 3 GB switch, Photoshop's memory settings set to 100%, a 4096 MB page file
    > and a dedicated scratch disk for Photoshop, and it is still slower than it
    > should be. It gets very, very slow afterabout 12 steps in Photoshop until
    > the available RAM is down to less than 400 MB... (I'm running MeMTurbo 3 and
    > can watch the available memory drop after every step. I have it set to run
    > the RAM scrub to recover unused RAM below 400 MB of remaining RAM).
    >
    > Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

    XP x64 or Vista x64 won't help you much for running 32bit Photoshop.
    Even with 64bit Windows it's still limited to using 3GB of memory. The
    difference is that on x64 it uses the 3GB for the image data alone so
    you have a bit more memory available. But since Photoshop is no real
    64bit application it can't use more than the 3GB for image data.

    If I were you I'd download the xp x64 trial and try for myself. The
    trial version should give you a very clear picture if 64bit brings you
    any benefit or not. Alternatively you can download the Vista RC x64 version.

    BTW: fiddling around with Windows page file sizes is usually a very bad
    idea as it only can reduce performance. Just set it to auto and let
    Windows handle it.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Oct 22, 2006
  8. I'm with John on this one. For some folks, it's fairly painless. For others,
    not. It all depends on drivers and your particular hardware. But one thing
    to be clear on - Vista is still very much a BETA product. If this is your
    business, and your primary PC, I recommend waiting until Vista is released
    before moving to it. We're close, but there are issues and your ability to
    get support from either MS or a third party vendor is extremely limited.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 22, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RGV2b25zaGlyZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for adding the warning, Charlie. I have been a little sloppy adding
    that since post beta2 releases haven't been reported as affecting other
    installed operating systems, like beta2 did, but that is no reason for me to
    ignore the warning.

    John Barnes, Oct 22, 2006
  10. Yeah, it just seems like a really good idea for people who clearly are
    running their business on a machine to exercise due care and caution. I run
    Vista full time every day now. But it still has issues and it isn't for
    everyone.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 22, 2006
  11. You are incorrect. In x64 Windows, any program that is able to see >2GB of
    memory will see 4GB, not 3GB. See my various whitepapers on the subject.
    Once an application is "LARGEADDRESSAWARE", it will see the full 4GB of
    virtual memory address space that WOW64 makes available to the application.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 24, 2006