Memory loss

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jack, Jul 19, 2008.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    I recently added 2 GB memory to my computer. When I checked
    the System Configuration I found it showed considerably less actual
    memory.

    Why the difference below between Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    and Available Physical Memory 2.69 GB?

    What is happening to 1.31 GB of memory on my system?

    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation - Vista Ultimate x64
    System Name JACK-PC
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2812 Mhz, 2
    Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS
    Revision 1503, 11/7/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
    User Name Jack-PC\Jack
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.69 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.17 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 6.77 GB
    Page File Space 4.29 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Jack, Jul 19, 2008

  2. Jack

    N Brown Guest

    Ahh your system is using that memory friend (I think).
    Look on the performance tab in task manager.
    My physical memory lists as:
    Total: 4094
    Cached: 2944
    Free: 11

    As you can see all my memory is not accounted for their either, I
    think the missing gig or so is reserved for the system?
    I read sooo much about the 4 gig issue with 32 bit that
    my head is spinning lol. I'm sure a someone will point
    out where it's being used.

    N Brown, Jul 19, 2008

  3. "Jack " <> wrote in message
    >I recently added 2 GB memory to my computer. When I checked
    > the System Configuration I found it showed considerably less actual
    > memory.
    >
    > Why the difference below between Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    > and Available Physical Memory 2.69 GB?
    >
    > What is happening to 1.31 GB of memory on my system?
    >

    > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation - Vista Ultimate x64
    > System Name JACK-PC
    > System Type x64-based PC
    > Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2812 Mhz, 2
    > Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    > BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE ACPI
    > BIOS Revision 1503, 11/7/2007
    > SMBIOS Version 2.4
    > Windows Directory C:\Windows
    > System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    > Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    > Locale United States
    > Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
    > User Name Jack-PC\Jack
    > Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    > Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    > Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    > Available Physical Memory 2.69 GB
    > Total Virtual Memory 8.17 GB
    > Available Virtual Memory 6.77 GB
    > Page File Space 4.29 GB
    > Page File C:\pagefile.sys

    Try checking the BIOS for a memory mapping setting and turn it off if it is
    there. You should not see the same effect that shows up in 32bit Windows.
    You should see the full 4GB when you type winver in Start/Search.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2008