    With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
    does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
    enabled by default?

    Nighthawk, Mar 3, 2008

  2. Nighthawk

    Richard Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
    > would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
    >
    > On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
    > memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
    > showed a 25% improvement.
    >
    > With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
    > does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
    > enabled by default?

    Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
    large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
    worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.

    Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

    Richard, Mar 3, 2008

  3. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:19:33 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Nighthawk wrote:
    >> Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
    >> would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
    >>
    >> On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
    >> memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
    >> showed a 25% improvement.
    >>
    >> With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
    >> does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
    >> enabled by default?

    >Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
    >large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
    >worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.
    >
    >Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

    Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
    to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
    of 4 gigs.

    Nighthawk, Mar 3, 2008
  4. Nighthawk

    impossible Guest

    "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:19:33 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Nighthawk wrote:
    >>> Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
    >>> would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
    >>>
    >>> On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
    >>> memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
    >>> showed a 25% improvement.
    >>>
    >>> With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
    >>> does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
    >>> enabled by default?

    >>Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
    >>large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
    >>worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.
    >>
    >>Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

    > Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
    > to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
    > of 4 gigs.

    If your motherboard supports dual-channel technology, then two matched 1Gb
    modules would be better than a single 2Gb module -- this effectively doubles
    throughput. See, for example,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture.

    impossible, Mar 3, 2008
  5. Nighthawk

    sam Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    >>> Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
    >>> large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
    >>> worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.
    >>>
    >>> Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

    >> Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
    >> to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
    >> of 4 gigs.
    >>

    > If your motherboard supports dual-channel technology, then two matched 1Gb
    > modules would be better than a single 2Gb module -- this effectively doubles
    > throughput. See, for example,
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture.

    Hmmmm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture#Actual_results

    sam, Mar 3, 2008
  6. Nighthawk

    Enkidu Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
    > would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
    >
    > On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
    > memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
    > showed a 25% improvement.
    >
    > With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
    > does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
    > enabled by default?

    Really? These guys found no significant difference:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/17/parallel_processing/page11.html

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Mar 3, 2008
  7. Nighthawk

    thingy Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
    > would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
    >
    > On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
    > memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
    > showed a 25% improvement.
    >
    > With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
    > does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
    > enabled by default?

    I went from a 1 x 1gig and a 1 x 512 to a matched pair of 1s and while
    the bios detected the setup and interleaved I cant say I noticed an
    improvement.

    So if your motherboard supports 2 x 2 (or 4 x 2) sticks and you expect
    to run something like vmware so are going to need that large quantity of
    ram then go for a 1 x 2 module....if its 32bit XP I'd just get 2 x 1Gigs.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 3, 2008
  8. Nighthawk

    thingy Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    >>> Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
    >>> large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
    >>> worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.
    >>>
    >>> Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

    >> Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
    >> to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
    >> of 4 gigs.
    >>

    > If your motherboard supports dual-channel technology, then two matched 1Gb
    > modules would be better than a single 2Gb module -- this effectively doubles
    > throughput. See, for example,
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture.

    The reality is, it seems to make no significant difference, the main
    thing is to have just more than enough....2 gig is about right IMHO, its
    cheap enough...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 3, 2008
  9. Nighthawk

    impossible Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:47cc5171$...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    >>> Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
    >>> to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
    >>> of 4 gigs.
    >>>

    >> If your motherboard supports dual-channel technology, then two matched
    >> 1Gb modules would be better than a single 2Gb module -- this effectively
    >> doubles throughput. See, for example,
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture.

    > Hmmmm
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture#Actual_results

    Yes, if you're running a dual-core E6850 fit with 4mb of L2 cache, then
    there's going to be no perceptible difference in performance between
    single-channel and dual-channel memeory. Also no perceptible difference on
    that machine, apparently, between RAID and non-RAID disk configurations.

    impossible, Mar 4, 2008
  10. Nighthawk

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:31:32 +0000, impossible propped his eyelids open
    with toothpicks and wrote:

    > Yes, if you're running a dual-core E6850 fit with 4mb of L2 cache, then
    > there's going to be no perceptible difference in performance between
    > single-channel and dual-channel memeory. Also no perceptible difference
    > on that machine, apparently, between RAID and non-RAID disk
    > configurations.

    Would it make much difference with the e21* (Allendale) range with 1Mb
    cache? (Googling got me nowhere)

    --
    Rob
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We

    Rob Simpson, Mar 4, 2008
  11. Nighthawk

    impossible Guest

    "Rob Simpson" <> wrote in message news:47ccae11$...
    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:31:32 +0000, impossible propped his eyelids open
    > with toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, if you're running a dual-core E6850 fit with 4mb of L2 cache, then
    >> there's going to be no perceptible difference in performance between
    >> single-channel and dual-channel memeory. Also no perceptible difference
    >> on that machine, apparently, between RAID and non-RAID disk
    >> configurations.

    > Would it make much difference with the e21* (Allendale) range with 1Mb
    > cache? (Googling got me nowhere)

    Well, let me backtrack here a bit -- My original claim that a dual-channel
    configuration could "effectively double" memory throughput was almost
    certainly wrong in the extreme. There were a lot of concident improvements
    in motherboard and processor design after 2003 or so that vastly improved
    memory throughput, so singling out the dual-channel component alone is, on
    second thought, silly. For that reason, I'm inclined now to agree more with
    'thingy' that you really shouldn't agonize over this choice. Almost any
    motherboard that will run an E2140 or E2160 will be compatible with
    dual-channel memory, so that shouldn't be an issue for you, and generally
    speaking a 2x1Gb pair is going to be cheaper than a single 2Gb module, so I
    wouldn't hesitate to go that route myself. But look for quality components
    all around, and if you get a better deal on a single-channel configuration,
    go for it.

    impossible, Mar 4, 2008
  12. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 05:01:42 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Rob Simpson" <> wrote in message news:47ccae11$...
    >> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:31:32 +0000, impossible propped his eyelids open
    >> with toothpicks and wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, if you're running a dual-core E6850 fit with 4mb of L2 cache, then
    >>> there's going to be no perceptible difference in performance between
    >>> single-channel and dual-channel memeory. Also no perceptible difference
    >>> on that machine, apparently, between RAID and non-RAID disk
    >>> configurations.

    >> Would it make much difference with the e21* (Allendale) range with 1Mb
    >> cache? (Googling got me nowhere)
    >>

    >Well, let me backtrack here a bit -- My original claim that a dual-channel
    >configuration could "effectively double" memory throughput was almost
    >certainly wrong in the extreme. There were a lot of concident improvements
    >in motherboard and processor design after 2003 or so that vastly improved
    >memory throughput, so singling out the dual-channel component alone is, on
    >second thought, silly. For that reason, I'm inclined now to agree more with
    >'thingy' that you really shouldn't agonize over this choice. Almost any
    >motherboard that will run an E2140 or E2160 will be compatible with
    >dual-channel memory, so that shouldn't be an issue for you, and generally
    >speaking a 2x1Gb pair is going to be cheaper than a single 2Gb module, so I
    >wouldn't hesitate to go that route myself. But look for quality components
    >all around, and if you get a better deal on a single-channel configuration,
    >go for it.

    At TasTech single 1GB Adata DDR2-800 is $40. Single 2GB Adata
    DDR2-800 is $68.

    Nighthawk, Mar 4, 2008
  13. Nighthawk

    Jason Rumney Guest

    On 3 Mar, 12:02, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    > Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all of 4 gigs.

    XP SP2 does. And all server variants since Windows 2000 Advanced
    Server can use more than 4 GB with PAE extensions enabled. I think
    there's some hacks involving creating a RAM disk to store your swap
    file as well, but they might only apply to OS's with the full PAE
    extensions (XP SP2 limits its use of PAE to only 4GB).

    Jason Rumney, Mar 4, 2008
  14. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 02:33:47 -0800 (PST), Jason Rumney
    <> wrote:

    >On 3 Mar, 12:02, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >
    >> Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all of 4 gigs.

    >XP SP2 does. And all server variants since Windows 2000 Advanced
    >Server can use more than 4 GB with PAE extensions enabled. I think
    >there's some hacks involving creating a RAM disk to store your swap
    >file as well, but they might only apply to OS's with the full PAE
    >extensions (XP SP2 limits its use of PAE to only 4GB).

    Good article on that here:

    Nighthawk, Mar 5, 2008