    the new ones go. Am I correct on this or am I looking in the wrong place. If
    Not how do I get the soldered ones out?
    Thanks

    Rclrk43, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Rclrk43

    colin Guest

    Rclrk43 <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi I just bought 2/128 MB simms for my Thinkpad 600E. When I took the back
    > compartment cover off, I see 2 soldered in Simms in the slots where I

    assume
    > the new ones go. Am I correct on this or am I looking in the wrong place.

    If
    > Not how do I get the soldered ones out?
    > Thanks

    Going by the manual (downloaded it to check); the ram is accessed via a
    compartment on the underside of your laptop.

    colin, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Rclrk43

    Rclrk43 Guest

    Then I must be it the right place. But I'm concerned about the beads of solder
    holding the old ram in and how to get it out. Where did you download manual. I
    keep timing out at IBMs web site.
    Thanks

    Rclrk43, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Rclrk43

    colin Guest

    Rclrk43 <> wrote in message
    > Then I must be it the right place. But I'm concerned about the beads of

    solder
    > holding the old ram in and how to get it out. Where did you download

    manual. I
    > keep timing out at IBMs web site.
    > Thanks

    Provided you`ve got a soldering iron; it shouldn`t be too difficult to
    unsolder the original dimm(s)that were soldered there by the maufacturer, or
    by it`s original or subsequent owner; obviously to prevent them from working
    loose:)

    http://www.google.com.au/ <....thinkpad-hardware.pdf

    colin, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Rclrk43

    Thor Guest

    "Rclrk43" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I just bought 2/128 MB simms for my Thinkpad 600E. When I took the back
    > compartment cover off, I see 2 soldered in Simms in the slots where I
    > assume
    > the new ones go. Am I correct on this or am I looking in the wrong place.
    > If
    > Not how do I get the soldered ones out?

    Normally, you don't. There is 32MB of memory that is permanently installed
    (soldered in), and another 32MB in a removable module, and another slot
    should be empty. There should be 32MB or memory that is permanently affixed
    to the system board, and 2 additional memory slots available for user memory
    upgrades with one currently occupied by a 32MB module, if your Thinkpad came
    with the standard 64MB of memory. The notebook can accomodate up to 288MB
    of RAM, which is 128MB in each of the SODIMM slots and the 32MB of permanent
    RAM. Are you sure that you aren't mistaking the removable module slots for a
    soldered in module? The slots are soldered in, but the modules themselves
    should be removable by pushing the little spring side clips apart ot allow
    the module to pop-up out of the slot. That is how this laptop is supposed to
    be in it's normal configuration. Unless someone special ordered yours with
    non-removable memory to prevent RAM theft or something, there shouldn't be
    anything permanently affixed in the two upgrade slots. If it is truly
    soldered in, then you can either pay to have someone upgrade the memory
    (probably very costly) or just live with what it already has, and realize
    you got a bum deal.

    Thor, Oct 5, 2004