    Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Bob AZ
    Bob AZ, Dec 13, 2011

  2. Bob  AZ

    Rob Guest

    Re: Memory increase in XP64 Bit box with Intel S5520SC Board andXEON processors

    On 13/12/2011 04:21, Bob AZ wrote:
    > I have had my XP64 Bit box with Intel S5520SC board, XEON Quad
    > Processors and Crucial 2GB memory modules, in use for just over 2
    > years. No problems.
    >
    > Last night I attempted to increase the memory from 8GB to 16GB. 2GB
    > memory sticks. The computer came up OK but the BIOS/Setup listed just
    > 8GB when it should be 16GB. Not sure what direction to take. The board
    > manual is not helpful since there are no LED error lights on.
    >
    > I was hoping the memory increase would allow my photoediting to stop
    > overloading the RAM since I have gone to 100% RAW format.
    >
    > Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bob AZ

    Did you use the same memory type as the original DIMMS (ie registered or
    unbuffered)? Mixed types are not supported.
    Also, which of the 12 memory sockets are you using? 6 are for
    CPU1, 6 are for CPU2.

    Full details of the memory subsystem for that server board are in the
    Technical Product Specification, here:
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/CS-030231.htm
    --
    Rob
    Rob, Dec 13, 2011

  3. Bob  AZ

    Steve Foster Guest

    Bob AZ wrote:

    > I have had my XP64 Bit box with Intel S5520SC board, XEON Quad
    > Processors and Crucial 2GB memory modules, in use for just over 2
    > years. No problems.

    2 CPUs installed?

    > Last night I attempted to increase the memory from 8GB to 16GB. 2GB
    > memory sticks. The computer came up OK but the BIOS/Setup listed just
    > 8GB when it should be 16GB. Not sure what direction to take. The board
    > manual is not helpful since there are no LED error lights on.

    Go into the BIOS, and head for Advanced > Memory Configuration.

    According to the Intel web site, this page should show you "Total
    Memory" and "Effective Memory" figures. "Total Memory" being defined as
    the sum of all recognised DIMMs, "Effective Memory" being defined as
    the size that will be available to an OS (ie discounting "disabled" [!]
    DIMMs and any used for redundancy in "Mirrored Channel Mode").

    --
    Steve Foster
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
    Steve Foster, Dec 13, 2011
  4. Bob  AZ

    Bob AZ Guest

    > Did you use the same memory type as the original DIMMS (ie registered or
    > unbuffered)?  Mixed types are not supported.
    > Also, which of the 12 memory sockets are you using?  6 are for
    > CPU1, 6 are for CPU2.
    >
    > Full details of the memory subsystem for that server board are in the
    > Technical Product Specification, here:http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/CS-030231...

    Rob

    Two CPUs installed.
    Using A1, A2, B1, B2, and D1, D2, E1, E2.
    All memory DIMMS are identical. Crucial 2GB 240 PIN DIMM 256X64
    DDR3PC3 - 10600 UNBUFF.

    Actually the DIMMs were ordered and received at the same time.

    I had planned to install 8GB total at first and then increase by 8GB
    to 16GB, and then later on to 24GB.

    Now I am stuck at 16GB but as my post indicates after installing 8GB
    more the BIOS and System Information still indicates only 8GB.

    The BIOS>Advanced>Memory Configuration does not respond. Maybe the
    BIOS has a problem but I am not swift with checking and upgrading the
    BIOS should this be a problem

    Thanks for the reply.

    Bob AZ
    Bob AZ, Dec 14, 2011