    really take advantage of it.

    Thank you!

    Jim
    Jim, May 12, 2008

  2. This depends _entirely_ on what kind of work you're doing and how your
    computer is running. Windows can always use RAM - if it has no other use for
    it, it will use it to increase your cache, keeping more things quickly
    available in RAM instead of having to get them from your hard disk. But,
    that being said, very few "knowledge workers" or others running typical
    business tasks use or need more than 8 GB right now. OTOH, if you're doing
    heavy graphics editing, or other memory intensive processes, you could
    easily use more. If you're running VMs, you will use more.

    Take a look at your running memory usage during a typical period. If it is
    close to the actual available memory, then it's time to add more.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2008

  3. Jim

    S.SubZero Guest

    On May 11, 9:41 pm, Jim <> wrote:
    > The maximum memory one could have in Windows XP x64 was 4 GB per CPU.
    > In Vista Ultimate you can have 128 GB total.  (I still have the same 2
    > CPUs and 8 GB of memory.)

    Really?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

    This seems to imply (or rather, directly state) that 64-bit Windows XP
    can use 128GB.
    S.SubZero, May 12, 2008
  4. The maximum was (and is) 128 GB. OTOH, boards created at that point often
    couldn't handle any where near that. So some mobo mfg's never managed to
    update their BIOS to handle the really large memory configurations.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2008
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On May 12, 12:22 am, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    > This depends _entirely_ on what kind of work you're doing and how your
    > computer is running. Windows can always use RAM - if it has no other use for
    > it, it will use it to increase your cache, keeping more things quickly
    > available in RAM instead of having to get them from your hard disk. But,
    > that being said, very few "knowledge workers" or others running typical
    > business tasks use or need more than 8 GB right now. OTOH, if you're doing
    > heavy graphics editing, or other memory intensive processes, you could
    > easily use more. If you're running VMs, you will use more.
    >
    > Take a look at your running memory usage during a typical period. If it is
    > close to the actual available memory, then it's time to add more.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel

    Hi Charlie,

    I was hoping you would see my question and respond to it. Thank you!

    I do not think I do anything which would require that much memory. I
    just thought that, if Windows Vista itself was particularly "hungry"
    for memory, I could give it more.

    I think I am better off putting my money toward an HDCP compliant
    monitor.

    Thanks again! :)

    Jim
    Jim, May 12, 2008