    Three different speeds for memory chips in the same PC, but the PC seems to
    run ok. Can they all run ok together?

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 18, 2007

  2. Jim

    Paul Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > I have an HP d530 SFF desktop PC.
    >
    > It was running as a test box and has 1.5 GB RAM. I just opened the lid and
    > noticed that there are three 512 RAM chips:
    >
    > 1 x PC2100R
    > 1 x PC2700U
    > 1 x PC3200U
    >
    > Three different speeds for memory chips in the same PC, but the PC seems to
    > run ok. Can they all run ok together?
    >
    > Jim

    They will be run, at the speed of the slowest one. A PC3200 DIMM, can
    run slower than that, and can run all the way down to PC1600 if necessary.

    I notice one of your part numbers ends in an "R" and the others are "U".
    A possible meaning for "R" is registered. And the "U" could be unbuffered.
    Generally, only one type of RAM should be used at a time. I don't remember
    seeing any PCs that mix the RAM types.

    Everything in the list here, is unbuffered.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Evo D530 Series All Form Factors

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 19, 2007