Memory draining when on internet

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Nov 20, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Help with memory loss problem please,
    when connected I am losing memory at the rate of approximately 1Mb every 10
    seconds and when in use have to reboot about every 2 hours

    Using
    Wanadoo broadband 576 kb

    System
    XP sp2
    Athlon XP 2600+
    Epox 8KRA2 motherboard
    1.5 Gb DDR DIMM memory ( 1 x 1 GB + 1 x 500 MB ) all PC 2700

    Have recently replaced a 500 MB memory chip with the 1 Gb chip

    If I do not go on the internet I can run all day with no problem but as soon
    as I connect , even with no applications like internet explorer running, the
    drain starts,
    I am checking this using Norton system doctor with 'PM free' sensor which
    tells me I have 1166 MB of free memory on start up.
    My start ups are at the bare minimum

    Is this a common situation or is there something I can do to improve my
    system
    Any advice will be welcome and appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    John, Nov 20, 2005

  2. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "John" <> wrote in

    > Help with memory loss problem please,
    > when connected I am losing memory at the rate of approximately 1Mb
    > every 10 seconds and when in use have to reboot about every 2 hours
    >
    > Using
    > Wanadoo broadband 576 kb
    >
    > System
    > XP sp2
    > Athlon XP 2600+
    > Epox 8KRA2 motherboard
    > 1.5 Gb DDR DIMM memory ( 1 x 1 GB + 1 x 500 MB ) all PC 2700
    >
    > Have recently replaced a 500 MB memory chip with the 1 Gb chip
    >
    > If I do not go on the internet I can run all day with no problem but
    > as soon as I connect , even with no applications like internet
    > explorer running, the drain starts,
    > I am checking this using Norton system doctor with 'PM free' sensor
    > which tells me I have 1166 MB of free memory on start up.
    > My start ups are at the bare minimum
    >
    > Is this a common situation or is there something I can do to improve
    > my system
    > Any advice will be welcome and appreciated
    > Thanks in advance

    It seems to me that if the machine is loosing memory when connected to
    the Internet, then something is running on the machine when connected.
    Not saying it's malware but something maybe running that's hidden to you.

    You can look around with the proper tools like PE and other tools in the
    link.

    You go to Menu/Tools show lower pane/show all dll(s) and PE will show
    everything running with a process when you click on one. You can right-
    click/Properties in the upper and lower panes.

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23780,00.asp

    Long

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Short

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 20, 2005