    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Sacramento, CA
    www.kiene.com

    Bill Kiene, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Bill Kiene

    RAD Guest

    SanDisk has a new 8-in-1 reader that is USB 2.0. Cost about US $40.
    Comes with a stand for vertical orientation, or lay flat without.

    RAD

    RAD, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Bill Kiene

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/9/03 3:01 PM, in article
    bXxrb.69$, "Bill Kiene"
    <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I would like to buy a new memory chip reader that will be versatile for use
    > with other types of chips because we will have it at our fishing tackle
    > business and never know what chip people will bring in.
    >
    > Some of my friends have talked about a reader that will accept 3 or 5
    > different styles of chips?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions

    SanDisk 6 in 1 USB for $30 US.
    BTW: Do you use those chips for bait?

    George Kerby, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Bill Kiene

    Bob Daun Guest

    Just a warning. The San-Disk 6 in 1, does not word with the small xd cards
    now used by Olympus. I just bought one a few months ago and I real
    disappointed to notice that it would not take xd cards. Their new model
    (the 8 in 1) does read xd cards.

    --
    Bob Daun

    Bob Daun, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Bill Kiene

    Bill Kiene Guest

    Thanks to all.

    This is the most active (volume of messages) news group I have ever
    attended. I have been active on a fly fishing news group for ~5 years.

    I know nothing about women or money, but I can help you with fly fishing or
    small (8' to 16') fishing boats if ever needed.

    --
    Bill Kiene

    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Sacramento, CA
    www.kiene.com

    Bill Kiene, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Bill Kiene

    Bill Kiene Guest

    Hi George,

    I might try them in the Bermuda Triangle?

    --
    Bill Kiene

    Bill Kiene, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Bill Kiene

    RAD Guest

    As I mentioned earlier......

    RAD, Nov 9, 2003
  8. Bill Kiene

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/9/03 4:25 PM, in article 3faebe6e$, "Bob Daun"
    <> wrote:

    > Just a warning. The San-Disk 6 in 1, does not word with the small xd cards
    > now used by Olympus. I just bought one a few months ago and I real
    > disappointed to notice that it would not take xd cards. Their new model
    > (the 8 in 1) does read xd cards.

    Wonder what will happen when there are a dozen or so types of cards?
    The Swiss Army Media Reader? LOL!

    George Kerby, Nov 9, 2003
  9. Bill Kiene

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/9/03 4:32 PM, in article
    Pfzrb.2739$, "Bill Kiene"
    <> wrote:

    > I know nothing about women or money,

    <snip>
    Who does? Been working on those two for years!
    :)

    George Kerby, Nov 9, 2003
  10. RAD <> writes:
    >SanDisk has a new 8-in-1 reader that is USB 2.0. Cost about US $40.
    >Comes with a stand for vertical orientation, or lay flat without.

    Beware. The Sandisk 6-in-one model is unable to read some CF cards.
    Their web site admits the problem in their service FAQ. Email to them
    will get you new firmware which still doesn't work (at least in my
    case). They say they're still working on it, but it has been many
    months now. This is a CF card that works in 2 Canon cameras and 2 other
    CF readers - only the Sandisk doesn't like it. Sandisk doesn't seem to
    be able to fix the problem, nor have they offered to exchange it for
    another unit (or set of units) that does work. If I could find the
    receipt, it would have gone back to the store long ago.

    If Sandisk has a new 8-in-1 model, it might not have the same problems.
    Or it might. If it's new, do you want to be the guinea pig? At the
    very least, buy it from a place where you can return it if there are
    problems, and keep your receipt.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 9, 2003
  11. Bill Kiene

    Randy Davis Guest

    Take a look at the USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader from www.lexarmedia.com. I
    picked it up at Wal-Mart for under $30.

    Randy Davis

    Randy Davis, Nov 10, 2003
  12. Bill Kiene

    RAD Guest

    I had a Lexar that would not read my 128Meg CF cards. Read the 64Meg
    card fine, but not the others. Gave it to a friend.

    RAD, Nov 10, 2003
  13. Bill Kiene

    D H Guest

    "Randy Davis" <> wrote in message
    > Take a look at the USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader from www.lexarmedia.com. I
    > picked it up at Wal-Mart for under $30.
    >
    > Randy Davis

    I have this one too, and it does great with my MemoryStickPro cards. I
    never bother with using the camera hookup now that I have this Lexar
    reader/writer.
    --
    Off to ride the mountains, D H
    Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

    D H, Nov 10, 2003
  14. "Randy Davis" <> writes:
    >Take a look at the USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader from www.lexarmedia.com. I
    >picked it up at Wal-Mart for under $30.

    I use this reader now, and it works with all my CF cards - including the
    one that the Sandisk 6-in-1 reader won't work with.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 10, 2003
  15. "Bill Kiene" <> wrote:
    > I would like to buy a new memory chip reader that will be versatile for use
    > with other types of chips because we will have it at our fishing tackle
    > business and never know what chip people will bring in.

    You've gotten some good advice. I would add that you should choose
    a reader that you *do not* have to install drivers for. Every little thing
    you install is one more potential problem source. I have the SanDisk
    6-in-1 reader (reads my CF cards and microdrive and my wife's SM
    cards just fine) and it needs no drivers for Win95SE or later. I have
    no idea about the Mac. The SanDisk 8-in-1 reader sounds great to me,
    the 6-in-1 won't read my daughter's XD cards. An additional benefit
    of the Sandisk 6-in-1 reader (probably 8-in-1 too) is that you can
    detach it from the base, use the shorter 8" USB cable that also comes
    with it, and put it in your pocket.
    --
    Judson McClendon (remove zero)
    Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com

    Judson McClendon, Nov 10, 2003
  16. Dave Martindale wrote:
    > If Sandisk has a new 8-in-1 model, it might not have the same problems.
    > Or it might. If it's new, do you want to be the guinea pig? At the
    > very least, buy it from a place where you can return it if there are
    > problems, and keep your receipt.

    I have the Sandisk 8-in-1 USB 2.0 model ($28 at Costco). I reads all 6
    of my CF cards and my Microdrive too.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Nov 10, 2003