    experience this?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Oct 18, 2007

  2. JTJersey

    Baron Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > Installed a new Ultra 1024Mb DDR2 Pc2-4200 533Mhz Memory chip into a
    > newly built computer. Everything fired up but the system wouldn't
    > post,
    > let alone boot. Tried both memory slots with same results. As it
    > happens the computer I'm working from right now has 2 of those
    > identical
    > memory chips in it, down to the same part number. I pulled one of the
    > two chips in this computer and installed it into the newly built one.
    > It
    > fired right up and worked fine. Ok, I figured a bad chip. Got an RMA
    > for it and a replacement chip. The replacement chip wouldn't post
    > either. Getting irritated, I put both of the problem chips into the
    > computer I'm now using and they work just fine! The 2 memory chips
    > from this computer are humming along just as fine in that newly built
    > system.
    > Identical company, type, part numbers, packaging. Anybody else ever
    > experience this?

    Sometimes a little dirt on the pins or in the socket can cause this. I
    always clean the connectors with a pencil rubber (the ones on the end
    of a pencil)

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Oct 18, 2007

  3. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:32:29 +0100, Baron wrote:

    > JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> Installed a new Ultra 1024Mb DDR2 Pc2-4200 533Mhz Memory chip into a
    >> newly built computer. Everything fired up but the system wouldn't
    >> post,
    >> let alone boot. Tried both memory slots with same results. As it
    >> happens the computer I'm working from right now has 2 of those
    >> identical
    >> memory chips in it, down to the same part number. I pulled one of the
    >> two chips in this computer and installed it into the newly built one.
    >> It
    >> fired right up and worked fine. Ok, I figured a bad chip. Got an RMA
    >> for it and a replacement chip. The replacement chip wouldn't post
    >> either. Getting irritated, I put both of the problem chips into the
    >> computer I'm now using and they work just fine! The 2 memory chips
    >> from this computer are humming along just as fine in that newly built
    >> system.
    >> Identical company, type, part numbers, packaging. Anybody else ever
    >> experience this?

    > Sometimes a little dirt on the pins or in the socket can cause this. I
    > always clean the connectors with a pencil rubber (the ones on the end of
    > a pencil)

    I talked to Ultra's tech support today about this. The DDR2 chips that
    were giving me trouble in the new computer are single sided, whereas the
    ones I am using, even though they are the same part number, are double
    sided. I was told that some motherboards just don't like single sided
    memory chips and will reject them, others don't care. Being as those
    single sided chips have been working just fine in this computer I guess
    he's correct. I haven't encountered this particular problem before, so
    it's one I'll file away in the old memory for the next time.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Oct 19, 2007
  4. JTJersey

    Baron Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:32:29 +0100, Baron wrote:
    >
    >> JTJersey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Installed a new Ultra 1024Mb DDR2 Pc2-4200 533Mhz Memory chip into a
    >>> newly built computer. Everything fired up but the system wouldn't
    >>> post,
    >>> let alone boot. Tried both memory slots with same results. As it
    >>> happens the computer I'm working from right now has 2 of those
    >>> identical
    >>> memory chips in it, down to the same part number. I pulled one of
    >>> the two chips in this computer and installed it into the newly built
    >>> one. It
    >>> fired right up and worked fine. Ok, I figured a bad chip. Got an
    >>> RMA
    >>> for it and a replacement chip. The replacement chip wouldn't post
    >>> either. Getting irritated, I put both of the problem chips into the
    >>> computer I'm now using and they work just fine! The 2 memory chips
    >>> from this computer are humming along just as fine in that newly
    >>> built system.
    >>> Identical company, type, part numbers, packaging. Anybody else ever
    >>> experience this?

    >> Sometimes a little dirt on the pins or in the socket can cause this.
    >> I always clean the connectors with a pencil rubber (the ones on the
    >> end of a pencil)
    >>

    > I talked to Ultra's tech support today about this. The DDR2 chips
    > that were giving me trouble in the new computer are single sided,
    > whereas the ones I am using, even though they are the same part
    > number, are double
    > sided. I was told that some motherboards just don't like single sided
    > memory chips and will reject them, others don't care. Being as those
    > single sided chips have been working just fine in this computer I
    > guess
    > he's correct. I haven't encountered this particular problem before,
    > so it's one I'll file away in the old memory for the next time.

    Its such a rare occurrence, I had forgotten about that one !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Oct 19, 2007