    rev of new DSLR version, is going to change all DSLRs to the SD format.
    So far I think that would be a good idea.

    Any opinions?

    measekite, May 5, 2008

  2. measekite

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message
    news:rJtTj.1653$...
    > Many people (not only Canon users) use a point and shoot of sorts
    > (including EVF Long Zooms and Compacts) as well as a DSLR. Many use the
    > same brand. So it appears that Canon made a good decision to change the
    > new Xsi from a CF card to an SD card.
    >
    > I am not sure but I do not think there is any advantage to a CF card and
    > the SD is less costly.
    >
    > As long as there is not advantage I am wondering if Canon, on the new rev
    > of new DSLR version, is going to change all DSLRs to the SD format. So
    > far I think that would be a good idea.
    >
    > Any opinions?

    My older Nikon D-50 uses a SD card while my newer Nikon D-200 uses a CF
    card.

    Rudy Benner, May 5, 2008

  3. Rudy Benner wrote:
    > "measekite" <> wrote in message
    >> Many people (not only Canon users) use a point and shoot of sorts
    >> (including EVF Long Zooms and Compacts) as well as a DSLR. Many use
    >> the same brand. So it appears that Canon made a good decision to
    >> change the new Xsi from a CF card to an SD card.
    >>
    >> I am not sure but I do not think there is any advantage to a CF card
    >> and the SD is less costly.
    >>
    >> As long as there is not advantage I am wondering if Canon, on the
    >> new rev of new DSLR version, is going to change all DSLRs to the SD
    >> format. So far I think that would be a good idea.
    >>
    >> Any opinions?

    > My older Nikon D-50 uses a SD card while my newer Nikon D-200 uses a
    > CF card.

    There may be a feeling in some pro circles that CF is better simply
    because it is physically bigger. It may also be slightly ahead in
    capacity and speed. Though SD cards have, I believe, the better
    connection mechanism. For the non-pros, I think that SD is clearly the
    standard today. Tomorrow, who knows?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 5, 2008
  4. measekite

    Pete D Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:dByTj.19923$...
    > Rudy Benner wrote:
    >> "measekite" <> wrote in message
    >>> Many people (not only Canon users) use a point and shoot of sorts
    >>> (including EVF Long Zooms and Compacts) as well as a DSLR. Many use
    >>> the same brand. So it appears that Canon made a good decision to
    >>> change the new Xsi from a CF card to an SD card.
    >>>
    >>> I am not sure but I do not think there is any advantage to a CF card
    >>> and the SD is less costly.
    >>>
    >>> As long as there is not advantage I am wondering if Canon, on the
    >>> new rev of new DSLR version, is going to change all DSLRs to the SD
    >>> format. So far I think that would be a good idea.
    >>>
    >>> Any opinions?

    >> My older Nikon D-50 uses a SD card while my newer Nikon D-200 uses a
    >> CF card.

    > There may be a feeling in some pro circles that CF is better simply
    > because it is physically bigger. It may also be slightly ahead in
    > capacity and speed. Though SD cards have, I believe, the better
    > connection mechanism. For the non-pros, I think that SD is clearly the
    > standard today. Tomorrow, who knows?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    And doesn't the1DsMkII have both??

    Pete D, May 5, 2008
  5. Pete D wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:dByTj.19923$...
    >> Rudy Benner wrote:
    >>> "measekite" <> wrote in message

    >>> My older Nikon D-50 uses a SD card while my newer Nikon D-200 uses a
    >>> CF card.

    >> There may be a feeling in some pro circles that CF is better simply
    >> because it is physically bigger. It may also be slightly ahead in
    >> capacity and speed. Though SD cards have, I believe, the better
    >> connection mechanism. For the non-pros, I think that SD is clearly
    >> the standard today. Tomorrow, who knows?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > And doesn't the1DsMkII have both??

    Smacks of indecision, doesn't it? <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, May 5, 2008
  6. measekite

    virtuPIC Guest

    > I am not sure but I do not think there is any advantage to a CF card and
    > the SD is less costly.

    I would expect that CF and SD cards use the same chips. Cannot tell
    about electrical contacts and handling which is also a matter of
    personal taste.

    Actually, I prefer SD since they seem to become kind of industry
    standard.

    virtuPIC
    --
    Airspace V - international hangar flying!
    tools & toys at http://www.airspace-v.com/ggadgets

    virtuPIC, May 5, 2008
  7. measekite

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 4 May 2008 23:54:58 -0400, "Rudy Benner"
    <> wrote:

    >"measekite" <> wrote in message
    >> Many people (not only Canon users) use a point and shoot of sorts
    >> (including EVF Long Zooms and Compacts) as well as a DSLR. Many use the
    >> same brand. So it appears that Canon made a good decision to change the
    >> new Xsi from a CF card to an SD card.
    >>
    >> I am not sure but I do not think there is any advantage to a CF card and
    >> the SD is less costly.
    >>
    >> As long as there is not advantage I am wondering if Canon, on the new rev
    >> of new DSLR version, is going to change all DSLRs to the SD format. So
    >> far I think that would be a good idea.
    >>
    >> Any opinions?

    >My older Nikon D-50 uses a SD card while my newer Nikon D-200 uses a CF
    >card.

    My Canon S400 P&S uses CF cards and my D200 uses CF cards. Even my
    Garmin 2610 GPS uses CF cards. So I'm happy.

    I think, because the speed and capacity of CF is always 1 step ahead
    of SD, you'll still see the upper end cameras be able to use CF. I
    don't consider the Rebel Xsi an upper end camera.

    Steve

    Steve, May 5, 2008
  8. Steve wrote:
    []
    > My Canon S400 P&S uses CF cards and my D200 uses CF cards. Even my
    > Garmin 2610 GPS uses CF cards. So I'm happy.

    []
    > Steve

    My Garmin GPSmap 60CSx uses microSD cards, which are tiny. Have you seen
    that size? I wouldn't want to drop one in a field of grass - impossible
    to find I would think! But it's nice that they fit into standard SD slots
    with a simple adapter for reading and writing.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 5, 2008
  9. measekite

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 18:49:55 -0700, measekite wrote:

    > Many people (not only Canon users) use a point and shoot of sorts
    > (including EVF Long Zooms and Compacts) as well as a DSLR. Many use the
    > same brand. So it appears that Canon made a good decision to change the
    > new Xsi from a CF card to an SD card.
    >
    > I am not sure but I do not think there is any advantage to a CF card and
    > the SD is less costly.
    >
    > As long as there is not advantage I am wondering if Canon, on the new
    > rev of new DSLR version, is going to change all DSLRs to the SD format.
    > So far I think that would be a good idea.
    >
    > Any opinions?

    Two advantages to CF over SD that I can think of immediately: folks who
    have been doing more or less serious photography for some time already
    have a bunch of CF cards; and they are a little easier to handle -
    particularly for folks with big hands and older folks.

    ray, May 5, 2008
  10. ray <> wrote:
    >Two advantages to CF over SD that I can think of immediately: folks who
    >have been doing more or less serious photography for some time already
    >have a bunch of CF cards; and they are a little easier to handle -
    >particularly for folks with big hands and older folks.

    Major technical advantage: CF does not suffer from the same design
    limitations and the resulting backward compatibility isses as does SD:
    - early version of 1.x limited to 1GB
    - later versions of 1.x limited to 2GB
    - custom enhancements using 2kB blocks to overcome the 2GB limit often
    incompatible with other devices
    - SDHC (SD2.0) limited to 32GB at this time. Although the interface
    format could support up to 2TB there is no requirement for devices to
    support this at this time, probably triggering yet another round of 'buy
    a new card reader' when the standard is updated to more than 32GB.

    In short: there will be 5 different and not backward compatible versions
    of SD within just 10 years.

    CF on the other hand has supported up to 137GB right from its inception
    back in 1994 with any 15 year old device from back then still working
    with the most recent cards just fine.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, May 5, 2008
  11. measekite

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 11:59:12 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >[]
    >> My Canon S400 P&S uses CF cards and my D200 uses CF cards. Even my
    >> Garmin 2610 GPS uses CF cards. So I'm happy.

    >[]
    >> Steve

    >My Garmin GPSmap 60CSx uses microSD cards, which are tiny. Have you seen
    >that size? I wouldn't want to drop one in a field of grass - impossible
    >to find I would think! But it's nice that they fit into standard SD slots
    >with a simple adapter for reading and writing.

    Yes, I've seen them. My Blackberry uses microSD cards also. I bought
    one with the adapter but never used the adapter.

    Steve

    Steve, May 5, 2008
  12. Steve wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 May 2008 11:59:12 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Steve wrote:
    >> []
    >>> My Canon S400 P&S uses CF cards and my D200 uses CF cards. Even my
    >>> Garmin 2610 GPS uses CF cards. So I'm happy.

    >> []
    >>> Steve

    >> My Garmin GPSmap 60CSx uses microSD cards, which are tiny. Have you
    >> seen that size? I wouldn't want to drop one in a field of grass -
    >> impossible to find I would think! But it's nice that they fit into
    >> standard SD slots with a simple adapter for reading and writing.

    > Yes, I've seen them. My Blackberry uses microSD cards also. I bought
    > one with the adapter but never used the adapter.
    >
    > Steve

    I use my adapter all the time now, Steve, although I do have one reader
    which will take the cards directly. I find that you need to be careful
    with the write-protect switch, which can be too easily set to read-only.
    With the GPS, I download the tracks, and upload a variety of maps.
    Uploading maps is much faster when writing the card directly, and the
    tracks come down in convenient daily chunks (as GPX files). I haven't yet
    tied this in with the camera, though.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 6, 2008
  13. measekite

    John Turco Guest

    Nicholas wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > With an SD card, you don't have any pins to bend, as you do on a CF
    > card reader. The questions I have concerns *wear leveling,* as the
    > card storage areas can only be written to and read from, RELIABLY, a
    > limited number of times. (IIRC it is 10K reads/writes or somesuch).

    Hello, Nick:

    100,000 rewrite cycles, typically.

    > So if the internal card controller (in the card itself) has Wear
    > Leveling, this is a reason to use that particular card. I haven't yet
    > found out if my SD card has this feature, but expect it would/does,
    > for the price I paid for it.
    >
    > Nick

    Actually, all modern memory cards incorporate wear levelling.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 9, 2008
  14. "measekite" <> wrote in message
    > Many people (not only Canon users) use a point and shoot of sorts
    > (including EVF Long Zooms and Compacts) as well as a DSLR. Many use the
    > same brand. So it appears that Canon made a good decision to change the
    > new Xsi from a CF card to an SD card.
    >
    > I am not sure but I do not think there is any advantage to a CF card and
    > the SD is less costly.
    >
    > As long as there is not advantage I am wondering if Canon, on the new rev
    > of new DSLR version, is going to change all DSLRs to the SD format. So
    > far I think that would be a good idea.
    >
    > Any opinions?

    The newer FujiFilm cameras use SD cards as well as Fuji's own XD card
    format.
    SD cards are certainly a lot cheaper than XD cards.
    Regards Mike.

    Mike Cawood, HND BIT, May 9, 2008
  15. measekite

    -hh Guest

    Wear Leveling - Utility? (was: Memory Cards)

    John Turco wrote:

    > Actually, all modern memory cards incorporate wear levelling.

    Understood.

    Question: does anyone know of a software utility that is able to read
    the relevant wear information on a memory card to be able to report
    back how "Worn Out" a particular card is?

    Eg: 'your card has accumulated an average of 12,345 wear cycles'.

    -hh

    -hh, May 9, 2008
  16. measekite

    John Turco Guest

    Re: Wear Leveling - Utility? (was: Memory Cards)

    -hh wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:
    > >
    > > Actually, all modern memory cards incorporate wear levelling.

    > Understood.
    >
    > Question: does anyone know of a software utility that is able to read
    > the relevant wear information on a memory card to be able to report
    > back how "Worn Out" a particular card is?
    >
    > Eg: 'your card has accumulated an average of 12,345 wear cycles'.
    >
    > -hh

    Hello, HH:

    Here's a couple of hits, on this topic:

    Wikipedia - Wear levelling
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_levelling>

    BiTMICRO Networks/Press Resourses: Flash SSDs - Inferior Technology or
    Closet Superstar?
    <http://www.bitmicro.com/press_resources_flash_ssd.php>

    By the way, when clicking on one of the links (entitled, "TrueFFS(R)
    Wear-Leveling Mechanism"), at the Wikipedia page, it took me to SanDisk
    <http://www.sandisk.com>, instead of the listed URL.

    This leads me to suspect that the flash manufacturers don't want such
    information to become freely available, to the general public!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 10, 2008